OT: Good Movies

Started by Requiem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Requiem

Senior Member
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok guys - most students are off now and most pharmacists get a couple of holidays around this time - the question is: what are some good movies to check out over the holidays?

I have a trip to my grandparents for christmas coming up and I can definitely squeak in a couple of movies, so, have at it. I enjoy all. As long as it's good.
 
Ok guys - most students are off now and most pharmacists get a couple of holidays around this time - the question is: what are some good movies to check out over the holidays?

I have a trip to my grandparents for christmas coming up and I can definitely squeak in a couple of movies, so, have at it. I enjoy all. As long as it's good.

At the theater or on DVD?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I finally watched Borat last night. That was good for juvenille entertainment
 
I loved "Seven Pounds" with Will Smith this was a tearjerker for sure! I can't wait to see "Marley and Me" with Jennifer Anniston on 12/25!!!! 😀 This looks hilarious!
 
I always watch James Bond movies over Christmas, both old and new. Just don't watch any with Timothy Dalton. His were awful!:barf:
 
I just started watching Dexter season 1 and I'm hooked. Anyone else into Dexter?
Never seen it. However, I'm addicted to TNT's new series, "Leverage." It is soooo good!

@ Requiem: Don't know if you've seen the movie "Scrooge." It's a musical, starring Albert Finney with Alec Guinness playing Marley's ghost. It's one of the better editions, and it's made even my insides smile...That's one holiday movie I would recommend. Most holiday movies are terrible.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"Wanted" is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. It was much better than I expected - it has a lot of (awesome) action mixed in with some humor. I wasn't a big fan of Angelina Jolie until this movie.

Also, I heard the movie Step Brothers is hilarious, if you're looking for mindless toilet humor (haven't seen it myself but plan on seeing it soon since I don't have to study again for a few weeks!!!)

The Dark Knight is a good, earnest movie with a lot of action, and of course the Joker kind of makes the whole thing. I just saw it and had to go get it on blu ray :meanie:

Also, some classic thriller/ horror type movies you can't go wrong with (also starring Christian Bale) include American Psycho and The Machinist, both of which have been out for many years.

All of these are on DVD/ Blu Ray. I have a lot more catching up to do with movies since I've been living with nothing but my books and notes for the last four months!
 
I can't remember seeing too many movies this year that blew me away. Think Ironman may have been my fave...I liked it better than Dark Knight, actually.

And then SATC satisfied the chick flick genre for me, but don't know if that's really your cup of tea Req. 😉
 
Ok guys - most students are off now and most pharmacists get a couple of holidays around this time - the question is: what are some good movies to check out over the holidays?

I have a trip to my grandparents for christmas coming up and I can definitely squeak in a couple of movies, so, have at it. I enjoy all. As long as it's good.
marley and me!
 
It's kind of old, but I really loved Juno.

My parents swear by Mama Mia. I'm pretty sure the DVD is going to be a Christmas present. I guess it depends on how you feel about ABBA and watching Pierce Brosnon sing. :laugh:
 
Just got back from Iron Man 2. First one is better but ivan's weapons were bad ass. And gwenyth paltrow really needs to eat...

Scarlett Johannasen was just....

horseman.gif
 
star trek from 2009 was the bomb diggity. even if you're not a trekker...or trekkie..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Could list 50 of them but some of my favorites:

Hangover - for a good laugh, classic Vegas scene >_>

Avatar - pretty good ;o $3 billion dollar gross worldwide gotta tell something

The Prestige - Hugh Jackman + Christian bale movie pretty alright too

Memento - just awesome movie

Batman Begins + The Dark Knight - good storyline

Shawshank Redemption - my best movie of all time
 
Last edited:
Just a handful of personal favs: Amelie, High Fidelity, Garden State, Confidence, Closer, Thumbsucker, Snatch, Rules of Attraction, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, I heart Huckabees, Ronin, City of God, The Professional, Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, Layer Cake, The English Patient, Run Lola Run, The Royal Tenenbaums, Your Friends &; Neighbors, The Motorcycle Diaries, Lars and the Real Girl, Slumdog Millionaire, Wall-E
 
Hated it. The political agenda against the US Government was unbelievable... might as well have been produced by Michael Moore.

It was Dances with Wolves...with Aliens. So I guess it was positioned against the US government...circa 19th Century...you racist ass Native Peoples' hater.

I honestly thought it was boring, hokey, and vastly overrated.
 
anyone see this? Yay or Nay? Book was ok... Ok, I couldn't put the book down so had to finish it at 3 am last night.

Girl with the dragon tattoo.

[YOUTUBE]JlF-hk3IJQE[/YOUTUBE]
 
Friend of mine is set to be in this film, so he was just telling me a little bit about it... :smack:

Better Living Through Chemistry
Story centers on a meek small-town pharmacist, stuck in a loveless marriage, who rediscovers himself through an affair with a trophy wife who introduces him to the wonderful world of prescription drugs, and the idea of murdering her husband.