General Admissions & OTCAS OT Interview 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reems112

Reaction score
Hey guys!!
Hope everyone is doing well! I just received my first virtual online interview for an OT program! I am super excited!! Do you guys have any tips on how I should prepare? What I should look out for? How I should answer questions? What questions will they ask? Since its virtual should I keep any of my own questions ready? This is a group interview with 3 other students and 2 other faculty members. So I'm not sure quite what to expect. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys!!
Hope everyone is doing well! I just received my first virtual online interview for an OT program! I am super excited!! Do you guys have any tips on how I should prepare? What I should look out for? How I should answer questions? What questions will they ask? Since its virtual should I keep any of my own questions ready? This is a group interview with 3 other students and 2 other faculty members. So I'm not sure quite what to expect. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks everyone!!!

It is always good to review your resume, volunteer experiences or anything that highlights how you will make a good OT. Keep in mind that the interviewer will ask you a question and you will have less than a minute to respond (so that there isn't an awkward silence). So I like to review my experiences beforehand to make sure I can answer using one of them ASAP.

Typically they ask, "Why OT?" or "What sparked your interest in OT" or "As a student, how will you add to the program?".... that is all I can remember on the top of my head.

Since it is a group interview, I find listening to other applicant's response really important. As an OT, being a team player and attentive is really important. So if another applicant would say, "Oh when I worked in hand therapy, _________". I would answer my question (if I can tie it together) and say that is so interesting that _____ mentioned that since I too_________. I hope that makes sense... I'm not the best at explaining. It is also still a skill I am trying to perfect. So whenever possible, incorporate their answers into your own response.

Always good to have questions. I think many forget that it is as much of an interview for them as well as for you. So one of my all time favorites is "What does your program have to offer that others don't?" I know that it is usually highlighted in their website, but for me it is also a gauge for me to see how passionate and excited they are about the field. So most of the time it is other professors interviewing you and I can see it in the eyes how excited or passionate they are about the field when they respond to me. I mean it really isn't a good sign if they aren't excited right?

Good luck!

Thank you!!!
It is always good to review your resume, volunteer experiences or anything that highlights how you will make a good OT. Keep in mind that the interviewer will ask you a question and you will have less than a minute to respond (so that there isn't an awkward silence). So I like to review my experiences beforehand to make sure I can answer using one of them ASAP.

Typically they ask, "Why OT?" or "What sparked your interest in OT" or "As a student, how will you add to the program?".... that is all I can remember on the top of my head.

Since it is a group interview, I find listening to other applicant's response really important. As an OT, being a team player and attentive is really important. So if another applicant would say, "Oh when I worked in hand therapy, _________". I would answer my question (if I can tie it together) and say that is so interesting that _____ mentioned that since I too_________. I hope that makes sense... I'm not the best at explaining. It is also still a skill I am trying to perfect. So whenever possible, incorporate their answers into your own response.

Always good to have questions. I think many forget that it is as much of an interview for them as well as for you. So one of my all time favorites is "What does your program have to offer that others don't?" I know that it is usually highlighted in their website, but for me it is also a gauge for me to see how passionate and excited they are about the field. So most of the time it is other professors interviewing you and I can see it in the eyes how excited or passionate they are about the field when they respond to me. I mean it really isn't a good sign if they aren't excited right?

Good luck!
Thank you!!!