OT: Legalization of marijuana.

Started by Sparda29
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm trying to figure out why this isn't a big topic among pharmacy circles. If anything, I would think that most pharmacists would be pushing and be picketing outside of their state capitol buildings to get marijuana legalized so that they can then sell the stuff at their pharmacy. (Think of all the added revenue.) I don't understand how tobacco and alcohol can be legal but marijuana illegal.

And no, I have never smoked marijuana before, however I know many marijuana users who seem to be just normal and contributive.
 
And put a bunch of DEA agents out of a job??? 😱

Oh Nos!


Actually I'm all for legalization recreational drugs... regulate it and tax it!!

Then set up a load of detox/addiction clinics! More jobs. More funds...revenues..

And it will allow for a speedy natural selection process as nature intended. Of course I have no idea which way the gene pool will shift.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For recreational use...legalize and tax it. That the consumption of ethanol is considered legally and ethically acceptable while the inhalation of cannabinoids are not is illogical.

I don't support the use of marijuana medically. No health professional should ever support the use of any sort of dosage form that involves the inhalation of incinerated plant material. It has been linked to lung cancer and other pulmonary problems. Not to mention the fact that dosing can't be controlled. Why not have people go back to brewing digitalis tea while we're at it?

If we decided that we need a cannabinoid agonist administrable via inhalation, what they should do is formulate a delta-9-THC metered inhalation system. It would be safer, as efficacious, and the dosage would be controllable.
 
For recreational use...legalize and tax it. That the consumption of ethanol is considered legally and ethically acceptable while the inhalation of cannabinoids are not is illogical.

I don't support the use of marijuana medically. No health professional should ever support the use of any sort of dosage form that involves the inhalation of incinerated plant material. It has been linked to lung cancer and other pulmonary problems. Not to mention the fact that dosing can't be controlled. Why not have people go back to brewing digitalis tea while we're at it?

If we decided that we need a cannabinoid agonist administrable via inhalation, what they should do is formulate a delta-9-THC metered inhalation system. It would be safer, as efficacious, and the dosage would be controllable.

Well said. But what about edible/drinkable forms of cannabinoids? Such as brownies, cookies, teas, etc.

Prop 19 did not pass in California btw...
 
That's too bad. I didn't really follow it exactly, I just knew the general gist of Prop 19 was to legalize it. Is it still going to be allowed in Cali as long as it's prescribed medically?

I understand that inhaling it in smoke form is bad for your lungs, but would the anti-emetic and appetite stimulant properties apply if one was just to eat it instead of smoking/inhaling?
 
That's too bad. I didn't really follow it exactly, I just knew the general gist of Prop 19 was to legalize it. Is it still going to be allowed in Cali as long as it's prescribed medically?

I understand that inhaling it in smoke form is bad for your lungs, but would the anti-emetic and appetite stimulant properties apply if one was just to eat it instead of smoking/inhaling?

Well, my uncle who is a physician opposes the use of marijuana as well as all illegal drugs. He says that if they need the anti-emetic and appetite stimulant properties, they should just have their physicians prescribe Marinol. Only problem with Marinol is that you do not get the euphoria.

I don't understand how Prop 19 didn't pass. I would assume that all people under the age of 25 would want marijuana legalized. I would guess that the population that was part of the hippie movement in the 60s-70s would all support it. But I think the generation in between is the one that was brought up with hardcore anti-drug messages. (Born between 1965 and 1980 I guess.)

I've also heard the argument about marijuana + driving. We already have a system for alcohol + driving. It would fall under driving under the influence and it would be punished.

Also heard the argument that "I don't want a doctor, surgeon, or pharmacist who is a pothead". Would you rather have a pothead or an alcoholic taking care of you?
 
I don't understand how Prop 19 didn't pass. I would assume that all people under the age of 25 would want marijuana legalized. I would guess that the population that was part of the hippie movement in the 60s-70s would all support it. But I think the generation in between is the one that was brought up with hardcore anti-drug messages. (Born between 1965 and 1980 I guess.)

I'm pretty sure the federal gov't would find a way to screw the state financially (not that they're not already in choppy waters as it is) by withholding a form of funding.

It would be like if a state lowered the drinking age, they would lose a significant portion of federal transportation funding. You could make the point that states should be less dependent on federal funding, but to make that switch over night and affect a whole state over such a hotly divisive issue would lead to chaos.
 
Many people who are prescribed Marinol refuse to take it because it makes them feel dopey, and not in a pleasant way either.

I do not believe in the legalization of marijuana, but I do believe in its decriminalization and see no difference between people growing their own, and making their own beer and wine. Millions of people should not smoke pot; millions of people should not have beer or wine either.

Conservative columnist Richard Brookhiser used marijuana to control N/V when he underwent chemotherapy in the early 1990s, and regarding the possibility of becoming addicted, he said, "If you associate marijuana use with hospital odors, nurses slapping your arm to raise a vein for chemo, and that little American Standard logo on your toilet bowl, trust me, you're NOT going to want to smoke it for fun." His wife later said that he developed an aversion to the smell of the smoke, so she made tea with it and that worked too.

The woman who cut my hair when I was in pharmacy school had a seizure disorder, and the only drug that controlled them was Tegretol which she refused to take due to side effects. She found that MJ controlled them; whenever she had a seizure aura, she would take a puff of weed and no seizure! Her doctors knew about it, and approved.
 
Legalization means it's sold in stores, taxed, etc.

Decriminalization means it's not illegal to possess and use.
 
Pretty much agree completely with Pharm B. At bare minimum drop it to schedule ii. Listing as schedule i is a sad joke.
 
Pretty much agree completely with Pharm B. At bare minimum drop it to schedule ii. Listing as schedule i is a sad joke.

The number of robberies will probably increase significantly if pharmacies start carrying it. Wouldn't people want a bit more security at their workplace if it was legalized?
 
😕

Is this a matter of semantics? I don't see how these statements don't contradict each other.

You read my mind when I first read that. Something that is not legal but also is not criminal? Doesn't quite add up in my mind.

Also, I can't believe you didn't make that a positive statement, not a double negative.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The number of robberies will probably increase significantly if pharmacies start carrying it. Wouldn't people want a bit more security at their workplace if it was legalized?

I really don't think that this would be an issue. I think that there would be enough on the "black market" to keep people from doing that. More people (at least around here) are much more interested in the amphetamines, pseudoephedrine, percocet, and vicodin.
 
I really don't think that this would be an issue. I think that there would be enough on the "black market" to keep people from doing that. More people (at least around here) are much more interested in the amphetamines, pseudoephedrine, percocet, and vicodin.

I somewhat agree with this. We already have plenty of good stuff behind the counter, I doubt adding this one item would cause a huge increase in armed robberies.
 
The number of robberies will probably increase significantly if pharmacies start carrying it. Wouldn't people want a bit more security at their workplace if it was legalized?

Some pharmacies have cocaine. I don't see them getting robbed any more than the others.
 
I don't know. People will talk like they support it and all but when it comes down to voting, they'll think of all the negativity towards the "drug" and vote otherwise.
 
Schedule ii. Topical anesthetic, usually (always?) for eye cases I think. My dad had to have an eye drop of cocaine solution to anesthetize prior to removing a shard of metal.
 
I'm trying to figure out why this isn't a big topic among pharmacy circles. If anything, I would think that most pharmacists would be pushing and be picketing outside of their state capitol buildings to get marijuana legalized so that they can then sell the stuff at their pharmacy. (Think of all the added revenue.) I don't understand how tobacco and alcohol can be legal but marijuana illegal.

And no, I have never smoked marijuana before, however I know many marijuana users who seem to be just normal and contributive.

Agreed. They should legalize everything. I mean why should we care if someone else wants to kill themselves? If someone wants to take 100 tablets of oxycodone a day (or anything else for that matter) that's their problem, why should other people care? Everything should be legalized and people should be free to make their own decisions.
 
Schedule ii. Topical anesthetic, usually (always?) for eye cases I think. My dad had to have an eye drop of cocaine solution to anesthetize prior to removing a shard of metal.

Huh, learn something new everyday. Thanks for the reply. Got me even more curious.

According to CP, cocaine is available as a 4% or 10% topical solution or as "Cocaine Powder for Compounding". As you said local anesthetic, but not necessarily always for the eyes: "Topical solutions of cocaine intended for use in anesthetizing the mucous membranes of the oral, laryngeal, and nasal cavities are not intended for ophthalmic administration."

I don't know how common it's use is (ophthalmic or otherwise), but pretty interesting. So why would someone choose cocaine over any other anesthetic?
 
100% pure cocaine powder was used for nasal surgery as vasoconstricter to stop the bleeding. It does look like snow powder...hence "snow."

It was always fun having to weigh it every so often for record keeping.
 
I've only seen cocaine in hospital pharmacies.

I think some compounding pharmacies have it. My friend who works at publix says they have it, but that does sound off now that I think about it.
 
I don't know how common it's use is (ophthalmic or otherwise), but pretty interesting. So why would someone choose cocaine over any other anesthetic?

They taught us in school that it's used in patients with a lidocaine allergy for ENT surgeries
 
I've worked at one outpatient pharmacy that stocked it because they were attached to a same day surgery center and also stocked the surgical trays. Obviously there was no sign on the door that say "Cocaine avaiable here!" but it was in the safe.

I'm really not sure how much fun you could have anyway with a little bottle of cocaine solution... but I guess you could try.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm really not sure how much fun you could have anyway with a little bottle of cocaine solution... but I guess you could try.

Addicts are SMART. they will figure out a way to get the "fun" out of it.
 
100% pure cocaine powder was used for nasal surgery as vasoconstricter to stop the bleeding. It does look like snow powder...hence "snow."

It was always fun having to weigh it every so often for record keeping.

I once had to prepare some powdered cocaine for an outpatient clinic, and as I left for the day, another pharmacist said to me, "Thanks for doing that cocaine!" We were right in front of the outpatient window, and you should have seen the look on the customer's face! :laugh:

Yes, it's used all the time in ENT procedures.
 
Back in my old independent days we used to make up Cocaine solution in mineral oil for patients of a local ENT. Kept the powder in the safe with the rest of the C-II's
 
100% pure cocaine powder was used for nasal surgery as vasoconstricter to stop the bleeding. It does look like snow powder...hence "snow."

It was always fun having to weigh it every so often for record keeping.

I've done this... It sucks. Plus, you have to be quick or account for the lost powder.

We use unit dose powder bottles that are tamper proof now. Still, you end up expiring a portion if you prepack to much.
 
When I was in school, we had a pharmacist speak to our class who lost his license because he had his own store and used his own drugs. When he purchased the store, he found a glass stoppered bottle full of cocaine - God knows how old it was - and he snorted it. He would also drink bottles of Tylenol #3 liquid and chase it with Mucomyst to prevent acetaminophen poisoning. I said, out loud without thinking, "This dude was hardcore!" because I knew what Mucomyst smells like. :barf:

He had started using as a pre-teen, hanging out with older kids in the neighborhood who thought it was really funny to see this little kid get drunk and high, and he was later the type who told himself, "I can't be an addict because I'm valedictorian!" and later made the dean's list. He got his pharmacy degree in the late 1970s.

I went to a convention between my sophomore and junior year, and met a recent graduate who had worked for Walgreens as a tech for 8 years, and they refused to hire her on as a pharmacist upon graduation even though she had the 2nd highest GPA in the class. The reason was quickly obvious: she was a really, really bad alcoholic. I sometimes see her name in various newsletters, because she's been active in the state association, but AFAIK she has never had regular employment; she's always been listed as a relief pharmacist. I don't think she ever had children; I don't know if she's still married but she was when she was in school.
 
Sparda, have you thought about Marinol (dronabinol)? I think it's the one you keep in the fridge. And lexi-comp says it's a C3.
 
I believe it was mentioned already

Many people who are prescribed Marinol refuse to take it because it makes them feel dopey, and not in a pleasant way either

I have one patient who is on it, I have not heard anything about how she is doing on it though.
 
Sparda, have you thought about Marinol (dronabinol)? I think it's the one you keep in the fridge. And lexi-comp says it's a C3.

Marinol is a C-III nationwide, but it may be a C-II in some states. Yes, it is kept in the fridge for longterm storage.
 
Yep, I already mentioned it above. Once again, the problem with it is that it gets the appetite/nausea problem fixed but WITHOUT the high.

What?

I have a buddy from High school with muscular dystrophy who takes marinol and he says it is WAY more intense than regular marijuana...almost psychedelic
 
I'm really not sure how much fun you could have anyway with a little bottle of cocaine solution... but I guess you could try.

Inject it without having to worry about contamination?

Am I the only one who found this obvious?

Similarly, if you make heroin available in SWFI, labeled with the exact concentration...I'm not sure if I'd be 100% okay selling it, and I'd try to convince them to quit just like with any patients who smoke, but at least they're injecting something sterile in a known concentration and without any additives.

I must say it's very refreshing to see pharmacists/students with some common sense. 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On-topic: There are already states that have legalized medical marijuana with very liberal terms causing C4-carbon synthesis-esque growths of medical marijuana dispensaries (non-pharmacies).

The microwaves wouldn't destroy the drug? <--innocent question based solely on curiousity.
The microwaves wouldn't, but the heat might, especially in aqueous solution (hydrolysis for the win!). I'd suggest vaporizing the water away under a reduced atmosphere, or crystallizing with an acid and then filtering off. The former sounds better than the latter.
 
On-topic: There are already states that have legalized medical marijuana with very liberal terms causing C4-carbon synthesis-esque growths of medical marijuana dispensaries (non-pharmacies).


The microwaves wouldn't, but the heat might, especially in aqueous solution (hydrolysis for the win!). I'd suggest vaporizing the water away under a reduced atmosphere, or crystallizing with an acid and then filtering off. The former sounds better than the latter.

Yep, I saw this show/documentary on discovery channel or something similar like 2 days ago. They were doing a special all day about drugs. So the marijuana one came up. They were showing how some dispensaries mix marijuana into popcorn, chocolate candy bars, cookie dough, and then they showed all the weed they had in the little orange pharmacy bottles on the counters with listings of different THC concentrations.....😍😍