Employment & Professional Networking OT new grads moving to new place

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OT_student16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!!

I am an OT student and I am interested in moving to a new place in the USA after I graduate. I am from CT and feel like I need to experience new places. I am single so I would be moving to a place by myself where I likely would not know anyone. I was wondering if some OTs would like to share their experience about moving to a new place where they didn't know anyone. How did you put yourself out of you comfort zone? Did you feel like you made the right decisions? Where did you move and did you like it?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Everyone!!

I am an OT student and I am interested in moving to a new place in the USA after I graduate. I am from CT and feel like I need to experience new places. I am single so I would be moving to a place by myself where I likely would not know anyone. I was wondering if some OTs would like to share their experience about moving to a new place where they didn't know anyone. How did you put yourself out of you comfort zone? Did you feel like you made the right decisions? Where did you move and did you like it?

Thanks!

I've moved to different cities twice (to one mid-size city and one large city. I grew up in a mid-size city). There are cool people everywhere, so you'll find someone you get along with and like. In my opinion, the hardest part about moving is the lack of familiarity with surroundings (always using GPS, not knowing what places are cool and feel homey, not knowing what neighborhoods are sketchy, etc. etc.). It seems kinda petty, but coupled with not having a lot of friends, it can feel overwhelming and frustrating. And not having someone to call up and say, "Hey, let's grab drinks" when you've had a rough day can kinda suck too. But if you stay busy, and find things you enjoy doing, you'll both meet people and be too distracted to feel lonely. But it's okay to feel lonely too. It's normal. Just keep in touch with friends and family from back home a lot. Exploring is fun. I'm a city person, and like to feel part of my neighborhood, and I like walking everywhere. And if you're a dog person, maybe consider getting a dog if you don't have one. It's a good way to meet people (people are more comfortable coming up to chat and say "hi" if you have a dog too) and learn about your neighbors and neighborhood.

Every town is unique, so it's kinda cool to see that up close and personal.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't moved for OT, but I have moved to brand new places at bunch during my 20s for school and jobs and LOVED it. I am from the Chicago area and have lived near Buffalo, NY, Austin TX, Seattle, and now will be moving to St. Louis for grad school. It is so fun to go somewhere new and get to know the place and meet new friends-- but you must be willing to put yourself out there to meet friends! It may feel strange to do this, but the payoff is incredible. You'll meet some of the most unique folks! Do some serious research and go on a trip to the places you're considering moving. Make sure you know what their weather tends to be each time of the year and that it all sounds doable to you, what kind of city it is (Seattle is a VERY outdoorsy city and is into hiking/boating/mountain things while Austin is more into going to events and outdoor venues for planned events, mainly music, I noticed) and what people tend to do there. Additionally, consider your own values and that state's politics/demographics so that you'll be living somewhere that fits who you are!

My best suggestion for meeting new people would be finding something you're interested in and volunteering. Or, join a running/hiking/reading/writing/gaming group! meetup.com is where I met all my current friends and, while it was awkward going at first, I am so glad I did it. Also, I second considering getting a dog. Dogs are the best friend-makers!

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't moved for OT, but I have moved to brand new places at bunch during my 20s for school and jobs and LOVED it. I am from the Chicago area and have lived near Buffalo, NY, Austin TX, Seattle, and now will be moving to St. Louis for grad school. It is so fun to go somewhere new and get to know the place and meet new friends-- but you must be willing to put yourself out there to meet friends! It may feel strange to do this, but the payoff is incredible. You'll meet some of the most unique folks! Do some serious research and go on a trip to the places you're considering moving. Make sure you know what their weather tends to be each time of the year and that it all sounds doable to you, what kind of city it is (Seattle is a VERY outdoorsy city and is into hiking/boating/mountain things while Austin is more into going to events and outdoor venues for planned events, mainly music, I noticed) and what people tend to do there. Additionally, consider your own values and that state's politics/demographics so that you'll be living somewhere that fits who you are!

My best suggestion for meeting new people would be finding something you're interested in and volunteering. Or, join a running/hiking/reading/writing/gaming group! meetup.com is where I met all my current friends and, while it was awkward going at first, I am so glad I did it. Also, I second considering getting a dog. Dogs are the best friend-makers!

Thanks Elise! All that information was really helpful! Good luck in grad school :)

I moved for both undergrad and OT school to new cities where I didn't know anyone. I think I had it easier because it's much easier to make friends in school, but it's still tough, and it takes time to build your social network. You have to remember that it will take time because it will be hard sometimes, I won't lie. But you will really become quite strong and independent and grow quite a bit from experiencing all the new things. I've loved my choices and think I've really become the person I am because of them! And remember, home is not going anywhere! You can always go back.

My best advice in addition to what others said - As scary as it sounds, try to find a roommate living situation with others at/around your age, professionalism, interests, etc. Best place is the "Rooms/Shared" section on Craigslist. Especially if you're looking at more urban cities, you can find people who are looking for roommates who might be around the same age as you and who are also young professionals, graduate students, etc. I've made a couple of my best friends from these living situations, and even if not everyone you live with will become your best friend it's a great way to meet people and to start to build your social network. You never know who they might know too!

Reactions: 1 user