OT or OTA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bjessie79

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 20 year old student trying to decide between becoming an OT or an OTA? I can either get a bachelor's degree and go into an MOT program, or go straight into an OTA program. I am having trouble deciding because I am wondering if taking the extra prerequisites would even be worth it. Another one of my options is to go to OTA and work while I am getting my bachelor's & masters somewhere else. So confused! Basically, I am asking all you OT's & OTA's if going the full MOT way is the best option, & if you're an OTA, do you wish you would have just gone and gotten your MOT?

Members don't see this ad.

I was actually talking to a woman who went for her OTA and could have gone for MOT. She was saying today that she definitely regretted it because she feels like she spent the same amount of time (she had a bachelor) for a lower degree and salary.

Go for the higher degree. You will be billable, able to treat on your own, and much more desirable to future employers

There are also combined BA/MOT programs.