OT: Question for Bird Watchers/Wild bird experts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

that70sfan11

Oklahoma State c/o 2014!!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was riding my bike to school today and I saw a huge, beautiful bird but didn't have time to watch it cause I had a stupid lab to go to

anyway, I surprisingly found it online and it was a yellow-crowned night heron!

it was super cool, and even though I don't bird watch, I kinda am wanting to take it up for a hobby over the summer.

aaanyway, when I was reading about it, they made it sound like these birds mostly hang out around swamps and marshes and bodies of water in general.

so is it unusual that I saw one in a tree in a random neighborhood in a decently large town (100,000) at least a few miles from even a pond? Or does that happen often? (I'm in central OK btw)

I was just so fascinated by seeing such a bird that I have to know!

Thanks and don't judge my dorkiness
 
I have become a bird lover myself. 🙂 I was in Africa last year and the birds there were amazing but sad to say I did not have much interest in them then UNTIL I started volunteering at a wildlife center this year actually handling hawks, owls, vultures and eagles, etc. Now I am fascinated by many of them. I notice birds more now. I now possess a field guide of northern american birds! Now I just need some nice binoculars. 🙂 If I see a hawk or something and can get a good picture I will pull off the road and take a picture.
 
Well, during migration, birds can end up anywhere and may be seen in habitats that they normally wouldn't be caught dead in. Night-herons DO roost and sometimes nest in trees, although more often near a body of water. Last year, there were two Black-Crowned Night Herons hanging out on our town soccer field (near the most piddly, nasty, polluted, lifeless creek around) in a rainstorm! It was pretty funny, actually.

Welcome to the birder club! It is completely addicting. Before you know it, you'll have bought binoculars and a few books and be lusting after spotting scopes like me. 😀 My personal favorite field guide is the Sibley's Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America -- you might need both east and west because you're right in the middle. I also bought the Peterson Field Guides Birding by Ear CD's, which were really helpful for learning songs. It's a bit more of a nerd thing to do, but there are a lot of birds that I have ID'ed based on song that I would not have had a good enough look to ID by sight, and you can listen for birds while you're biking, riding a horse . . . driving slowly through the country, doing yard work, doing homework outside. Yes, I am a bit addicted. 😉

ETA: Tambotie, choosing a pair of binoculars is a personal choice, but I would suggest doing your research before picking a pair. I have the Eagle Optics Raptor 8x42 and I LOVE my binoculars, but I don't think they make them anymore. 🙁
REI -brief article
Birdwatching.com - more in depth
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks guys!

and it's true, I've been keeping an eye out more and I've been hinting to my boyfriend about getting me some binoculars for my birthday!

It just seems like such a cool but relaxing hobby to take up
 
Thanks for the tips eventualeventer! Last year my friend and I freed a Cormorant that was stuck in some fishing wire along the Potomac River. It is had just happened so the bird was alive and okay. I felt sooooo good for the rest of the day...it was such a great feeling. 🙂
 
Thanks guys!

and it's true, I've been keeping an eye out more and I've been hinting to my boyfriend about getting me some binoculars for my birthday!

It just seems like such a cool but relaxing hobby to take up

Hey that70sfan-are you in Stillwater? If yes, then you should hang out with the folks that I hang out with. They're pretty much the biggest bunch of tree huggin' hippies I've ever met...and I love them! Actually, one of my best friends is doing a MS on bluebird behavior and always needs help with different things, and a huge perk of helping her is that she goes on a LOT of birding trips, and when you go with her she knows a TON about birds and is not afraid to share it. Hit me up if you want to get together some time, or if you want some contact info for bird-people, and I also know of some spectacular places around the state of OK to see very cool birds close up. 🙂

Also, a MUST for anyone interested in birds is Sibley's guide to North American Birds. Other field guides are good too, but I like Sibley's
 
Hey that70sfan-are you in Stillwater? If yes, then you should hang out with the folks that I hang out with. They're pretty much the biggest bunch of tree huggin' hippies I've ever met...and I love them! Actually, one of my best friends is doing a MS on bluebird behavior and always needs help with different things, and a huge perk of helping her is that she goes on a LOT of birding trips, and when you go with her she knows a TON about birds and is not afraid to share it. Hit me up if you want to get together some time, or if you want some contact info for bird-people, and I also know of some spectacular places around the state of OK to see very cool birds close up. 🙂

Also, a MUST for anyone interested in birds is Sibley's guide to North American Birds. Other field guides are good too, but I like Sibley's

Hey! no I'm not gonna be in Stillwater till August, but I'd still love to meet some people if they don't mind helping out a total newbie 😛 My summer is pretty busy but i have two free weeks in August before vet school starts that I'm looking for something to do... so I might be interested if something happens then! or if not, I'd definitely like to get to know some people so I can start doing things soon

I miss camping and doing outdoorsy things, so you guys sound like people I'd like to get to know!
 
I'm sort of a bird-nerd too since volunteering at a wildlife rehab place. I've got both Sibley guides and try to identify things when I'm hiking or walking around. No binoculars or bird-calls yet though! 😉
 
Variegata, you don't have to spend money to appreciate birds, I am just a complete bird nerd. 😉

The CD's are awesome, although you may want to use headphones lest you drive your room mates or pets nuts. There is a narrator who guides you through similar sounding birds and explains how to distinguish between them, and there are quizzes on one of the CD's.
 
SO, I too am a bird lover! In fact, my boyfriend and I have created a porch bird oasis, go out to the parks to bird watch, etc. etc. etc.

I just wanted to jump on board with the audio CD support. Though visibly seeing a bird is great, half of bird hunting is hearing them too! It's always rewarding to know you hear a particular bird (though sometimes they go unseen).

AND, if you become the full fledged nature lover.. hop (pun intended) on board with the frog calls too! You can find many websites to download songs from, create yourself a playlist, and listen in your spare time. Once you know what to listen for, I think you'll find yourself amazed at all the different species you indeed hear!

Alright! Have fun with your birds!:laugh:
 
Maybe this is cliche, but I personally love the mockingbird! I never knew why it was called that until last year when our wildlife professor pointed one out when he heard it

anyway it cracked me up! such a silly bird

and yes, frogs would be fascinating too!

ugh...you guys are killing me.. now I just want to stop doing schoolwork and go camping for a month!
 
Yay for birds! I am in Costa Rica right now studying abroad and some of the birds down here are so cool. I always liked birds but ever since coming down here I really like them. We set up a lot of hummingbird feeders and we started a little hummingbird paradise. I have a pair of Bushnell binoculars which are not the best but has served me well.

p.s. If you want to see some cool birds come to Monteverde Costa Rica! The male quetzals are so awesome :]
 
I took a Natural History course so now I'm pro at identifying gulls, ducks and some birds that are common to my area in winter... yay. My favorite it probably the Long Tailed Duck (our prof made us capitalize names...) Didn't see very many songbirds though 🙁
 
Maybe this is cliche, but I personally love the mockingbird! I never knew why it was called that until last year when our wildlife professor pointed one out when he heard it

anyway it cracked me up! such a silly bird

and yes, frogs would be fascinating too!

ugh...you guys are killing me.. now I just want to stop doing schoolwork and go camping for a month!

I like the mockers too! They're hilarious when they're babies and fledglings. Super smart, and they make a cute little gobbling noise as they're swallowing when you stick-feed them kibble and fruit.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe this is cliche, but I personally love the mockingbird! I never knew why it was called that until last year when our wildlife professor pointed one out when he heard it

anyway it cracked me up! such a silly bird

and yes, frogs would be fascinating too!

ugh...you guys are killing me.. now I just want to stop doing schoolwork and go camping for a month!

Hit me up when you get to Stillwater. There is always something going on around here that deals with wildlife/camping/general rolling in the mud.