Program-Specific Info / Q's OT school for slow learners?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYY13251

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
So I am currently finishing up my Pre-Reqs and will be applying this Fall and hopefully starting Fall 18. I took Anatomy 1 ( Got an A woo) and just finished Anatomy 2 ( 98 on the final which bumped me to an A wooooo!!!!), taking Stats online now and Sociology later this month at the local college. I avoided schools that require GRE, Chem and Physics. So far I have about 7-8 schools I am going to apply to.

I am the type of student who puts in a lot of effort. I take advantage of Office Hours to ask questions and to help with things I may not understand. My biggest concern with OT school is if professors are accommodating. In other words, are they willing to meet during office hours and explain things and work with the students? When I took Anatomy 1, I struggled with the Chem part. I went to my professor many times, had study groups and everything and eventually it hit me, and I understood it and did really well on the exam. What has your experience been with professors in the OT Program? I am a good student and worm my butt off and will do so in OT school. I just don't want professors looking down on me if it takes me a little extra time to understand some of the material.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I feel exactly the same way. When I went back to take my prereqs I only took a couple classes per semester because I wanted to make sure I got all A's. But I do need to study hard and some classes are harder for me than others. I also did not take the GRE- I've never been good at standardized testing and did not feel like it was beneficial to grad school anyways. I start OT school this summer and I'm definitely nervous about the workload!

So like you, it was a priority for me to find a school that had caring professors and preferably a smaller class size. My advice would be to do your research! It really depends on the school. When you visit or go to the interviews, make sure to ask questions so you get a better feel for the program. Also, reach out to current students! It really is the best thing you can do because they have gone through it and will be honest with you. I would talk to several students though to get an overall idea of the school's strengths and weaknesses. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
You don't need chemistry once you are in to your program. Some programs are more anatomy based than others, avoid those that are if it's a struggle for you. Further, you can get reasonable accommodations in school: extra test taking time etc. I suggest it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will be more than fine! I start my level II fieldwork on Monday and I honestly if I was able to make it through, then you can too. :) I even have a classmate with a legitimate learning disability, and she has made it through as well. She struggled a little bit at time, but we all did just because sometimes school is hard. Professors are very accommodating and willing to speak with you and help you learn. They don't care so much about your grades as long as you can show that you are understanding what you are learning. You won't be looked down at. Honestly, it almost seems like the students who don't seek out extra help and learning activities are the ones "looked down upon". Not that they actually are looked down at but being proactive about your education shows you care and desire to learn, and that's what will make you a great OT and your professors will appreciate that. Good luck.

I am a slower learner, slow reader, and I take a lot longer to grasp concepts then my classmates (I've been that way my entire life). However, I finished my first year of OT school with a 3.9 (not that grades are an indication of how you will do as a therapist) and high remarks on my Level I fieldworks. At times, yes, it would be frustrating to have to study harder and put in more work then my classmates, however I truly learned the material and feel like I am prepared to be a great therapist. The key is not to compare yourself to your classmates, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. As long as your passionate and want to be successful, you will be just fine :)