General Admissions & OTCAS OT Texas schools 2015 entry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anybody that gained acceptance into Texas Tech receive any tuition/financial aid based information after submitting their deposit? School starts in just over 5 months and I have yet to hear anything so I was wondering if anybody else was in the same boat.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anybody that gained acceptance into Texas Tech receive any tuition/financial aid based information after submitting their deposit? School starts in just over 5 months and I have yet to hear anything so I was wondering if anybody else was in the same boat.

Hey there! I haven't received anything yet from the school, although I did go ahead and ask financial aid about tuition costs. This was their reply:

As of the 2014-2015 tuition rates and curriculum setup, the cost of tuition and fees for a Texas resident are as follows:
First Year: $11,992
Second Year: $9,177
Third Year: $5,425

I'm also awaiting a response regarding applying for loans, fafsa, etc. :)

Congratulations to everyone that got accepted! For those that are planning on attending UTMB, there is a Facebook page "UTMB OT class of 2017" that you should join. It's very helpful for tips, info and getting to know your future classmates! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there! I haven't received anything yet from the school, although I did go ahead and ask financial aid about tuition costs. This was their reply:

As of the 2014-2015 tuition rates and curriculum setup, the cost of tuition and fees for a Texas resident are as follows:
First Year: $11,992
Second Year: $9,177
Third Year: $5,425

I'm also awaiting a response regarding applying for loans, fafsa, etc. :)

Thank you. I am coming from out of state and it has kind of been a pain trying to get tuition rates for non-residents but seeing these figures kind of gives me an idea on what I would expect to pay. I was trying to decide between Midwestern University and here and I was trying to go with the more affordable option which I figured would be TTUHSC.

Hi everyone! Just joined this thread. I'm a first time applicant waiting to hear back from TWU hopefully next month, and I had an interview with UTHSCSA, so I'm anxious to hear from them as well. Good luck to everyone!! And congrats to those accepted already :)

TWU Dallas is sending out their first round of "recommendations for acceptance" today by email. I know because I got one!

They asked we respond back with a commitment by Jan 27 so they can offer the position to another applicant if needed. I'm guessing they'll do another round of acceptances around Feb 1. Good luck to all those who are hoping for TWU!

Reactions: 1 users
TWU Dallas is sending out their first round of "recommendations for acceptance" today by email. I know because I got one!

They asked we respond back with a commitment by Jan 27 so they can offer the position to another applicant if needed. I'm guessing they'll do another round of acceptances around Feb 1. Good luck to all those who are hoping for TWU!
Congrats! Very exciting for you :)
Anyone hear back from Houston yet?

Congratulations to all of you who got in! I received a REJECTION from twu Houston today at 1pm. Needless to say I am very upset :( . I don't know how I could make myself more competitive my last 60 GPA: 3.9 and my prerequisite GPA: 4.0. Can anyone tell me from experience if they will tell you why you gotdenied?? Thank you and best wishes

Congrats to all who got their acceptance letters from TWU. I received my acceptance email from TWU Houston today, but I will be turning it down since I have already decided to attend Texas Tech. I hope this will give someone else a chance to take that spot. Good luck everyone!

Hi Everyone! First of all CONGRATS to everyone who has been accepted into the MOT program! I just joined this thread. This is my first year to apply to the MOT program at UTHSCSA. I am anxiously waiting to hear something hopefully soon. I know interviews take place in January/February. Does anyone have any information on actual dates interviews are sent out? How are the interviews if you have received one already at UTHSCSA? Thank you for any help or information that can help prepare me as I wait patiently.

Hi everyone! Just joined this thread. I'm a first time applicant waiting to hear back from TWU hopefully next month, and I had an interview with UTHSCSA, so I'm anxious to hear from them as well. Good luck to everyone!! And congrats to those accepted already :)

Hi Jazzyjazz_6 congrats on your interview at UTHSCSA. This is my first time applying and hope to get an interview. What were your stat's if you don't mind me asking and how was the interview? Im very anxious and nervous because i haven't received an interview yet. Congrats and goodluck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Jazzyjazz_6 congrats on your interview at UTHSCSA. This is my first time applying and hope to get an interview. What were your stat's if you don't mind me asking and how was the interview? Im very anxious and nervous because i haven't received an interview yet. Congrats and goodluck!
So I also interviewed at uthscsa in December. My stats are last 60 gap 3.9, prerequisite gpa 3.9. 100 observation hours at one clinic. I got denied from twu Houston today :( really counting on utsa!!! From my understanding the last round on interview was the beginning of January and we will find out from utsahsc about rejection or acceptance by February 1st. I'm so sorry but chances are you wont be getting an interview this time around :(. Keep your hopes up though because I could be wrong? Good luck!!

Congrats to all who got their acceptance letters from TWU. I received my acceptance email from TWU Houston today, but I will be turning it down since I have already decided to attend Texas Tech. I hope this will give someone else a chance to take that spot. Good luck everyone!
Do you mind posting your stats? Just curious!! Also is this your first year applying?

So I also interviewed at uthscsa in December. My stats are last 60 gap 3.9, prerequisite gpa 3.9. 100 observation hours at one clinic. I got denied from twu Houston today :( really counting on utsa!!! From my understanding the last round on interview was the beginning of January and we will find out from utsahsc about rejection or acceptance by February 1st. I'm so sorry but chances are you wont be getting an interview this time around :(. Keep your hopes up though because I could be wrong? Good luck!!

Hi Terrisej!! Really wow i didnt know interviews started in december I watched a video that was posted on UTHSCSA website before the deadlne for applications and it explained what to expect when applying to the MOT program. It also said interviews would be January/ February but maybe i misunderstood. I hope you hear good news from UTHSCSA goodluck also your stats are impressive. Thank you for the goodluck!! Oh by the way yes this is my first year applying what about you?

My stats are not very impressive... hopefully I can retake courses and have a more competitive GPA.
My Pre-req GPA-3.00
My Overall GPA- Not sure how to really figure it out I have 3 colleges that I attended. Texas Tech said it was figured out as a 2.79 so not even a 3.00. But again i am not sure exactly how to figure it out. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
My BA degree is in : Exercise Sports Science with an emphasis in Pre-Physical Therapy
Observation Hours: over 200+ in Physical Therapy outpatient, inpatient, pediatrics, geriatrics, home-health, hospital Facility( not sure if it matters or will help in MOT program).
100 hours in pediatric setting in Occupational Therapy facility.

Last edited:
Hi!! My stats are:

GPA: 3.3
Last 60 gpa: 3.6
Observation hours: 120 at 4 different settings

The interview was more of a meet and greet thing, they want to get to know you and why you want to be an OT, and they do it in groups of 4. Then you do a personal statement (they give you 8 min to do it) and you have to submit a video after you go to the interview. The video is basically a personal statement all over again. I think besides GPA, they look at your recommendations and observation hours. Good luck!!

Hi!! My stats are:

GPA: 3.3
Last 60 gpa: 3.6
Observation hours: 120 at 4 different settings

The interview was more of a meet and greet thing, they want to get to know you and why you want to be an OT, and they do it in groups of 4. Then you do a personal statement (they give you 8 min to do it) and you have to submit a video after you go to the interview. The video is basically a personal statement all over again. I think besides GPA, they look at your recommendations and observation hours. Good luck!!

Thank you for responding and sharing the information you provided. Its been helpful and Im hoping I can improve my stats and get into the program. When was your interview? Also, goodluck hope you hear something soon!!

I know how you guys are feeling I was in the same position. I was accepted to UTHSCSA and I am almost done with my second semester, if you have any questions or need positive advice just let me know. I rarely check this btw but I will try my best to respond. Don't stress be blessed.

Hi Var504!! Congrats on almost finishing your second semester of the MOT program. This is my first time applying and was wondering if you could help direct me in the right way of what I can do to make my application more competitive and stand out from the rest. I would really appreciate any information that can help. Also what do they really look at when applying is it all about your GPA. Thank You!

Hi, I was just wondering if there are others who have not heard anything back from UTHSCSA? I emailed a few days ago and the reply I got was that all interview invitations have been sent out for this cycle.

I also have not heard back from UTHSCSA. I heard interviews were in January/February at the workshop that they hosted for students who had questions and wanted more information over the program. But im not sure because im hearing different so hopefully we will hear something soon. Goodluck!!

Thank you for responding and sharing the information you provided. Its been helpful and Im hoping I can improve my stats and get into the program. When was your interview? Also, goodluck hope you hear something soon!!
Thank you! My interview was in December, and they had another interview session in January. I got accepted to TWU Houston, so I'm not gonna be attending San Antonio (they are going to let us know mid-February, but I had to respond to TWU by January 27th so of course I took that opportunity). Good luck!!

Thank you! My interview was in December, and they had another interview session in January. I got accepted to TWU Houston, so I'm not gonna be attending San Antonio (they are going to let us know mid-February, but I had to respond to TWU by January 27th so of course I took that opportunity). Good luck!!
To you or to anyone who can answer this question. Do you recall if UTHSCSA only looks at your last 60 hours gpa and prerequisite gpa? Or do they focus on the over all undergrad gpa. Also, am I wrong in thinking someone had said we should find out by February 1st decisions? Thank!

Good luck to everyone that is applying or has applied already! I know it is very stressful choosing schools and going through the application process. I got wait listed for UTMB fall 2014 and I ended up getting in! Don't lose hope if everything doesn't work out the way you want it to right away!

Ps. I love UTMB so far. The program is very fast; however, my classmates and professors are so nice and helpful. I know I am truly going to enjoy my duration in Galveston. :)

Hey Paige. I got waitlisted for UTMB MOT 2015. Just curious did you initiate an email or letter stating that you're still interested in their school and would like to be accepted.
Thanks for answering.

To you or to anyone who can answer this question. Do you recall if UTHSCSA only looks at your last 60 hours gpa and prerequisite gpa? Or do they focus on the over all undergrad gpa. Also, am I wrong in thinking someone had said we should find out by February 1st decisions? Thank!
Hi!! I believe they focus on the prerequisites GPA, but they do look at the overall as well. And it is mid-February. :)

Hi Var504!! Congrats on almost finishing your second semester of the MOT program. This is my first time applying and was wondering if you could help direct me in the right way of what I can do to make my application more competitive and stand out from the rest. I would really appreciate any information that can help. Also what do they really look at when applying is it all about your GPA. Thank You!

Obviously I’m not Var504 but as a classmate of his, I hope you don’t mind me jumping in! UTHSCSA really does look at an applicant’s “whole package”, so GPA is just one of many factors considered…although it’s a very important one. If you can, I would retake as many of the prerequisite classes you got Cs in (and even Bs) at a community college to raise your GPA, since UTHSCSA takes your higher grade and it doesn’t matter if the class is from a two-year or four-year institution. I would also continue to rack up OT observation hours, but in different settings (school, SNF, acute rehab, etc.). It will give you a more extensive picture of the field while also showing the professors that you value its breadth. I would also consider your LORs. Make sure that the people you ask can talk about you favorably beyond general terms. In my case, I had an OT who was able to mention key facility projects I helped with and a professor I had for three classes (who also had me tutor other students). Other things to consider would be your writing/speaking/interpersonal skills, but those are things that shine through the interview process more than anything. Beyond that, I would recommend keeping up with any application updates and verifying that your materials have been received before the deadline. Best of luck to you! :)

Do you mind posting your stats? Just curious!! Also is this your first year applying?
Hi There!

Overall GPA: 3.94
Pre Req GPA: 4.0
Observation hours: 120 hospital and nursing home
LOR's: One came from a professor who I had for several classes and knew me well. The second from the OT I did observation hours with
1st time applying

Hey Paige. I got waitlisted for UTMB MOT 2015. Just curious did you initiate an email or letter stating that you're still interested in their school and would like to be accepted.
Thanks for answering.

No, they rank you on the wait list and go by that when filling in the open spots! (They don't tell you your rank on the waitlist). They will email you regardless if you are at the top of the waitlist.

Has anyone been accepted from UTMB waitlist?

Obviously I’m not Var504 but as a classmate of his, I hope you don’t mind me jumping in! UTHSCSA really does look at an applicant’s “whole package”, so GPA is just one of many factors considered…although it’s a very important one. If you can, I would retake as many of the prerequisite classes you got Cs in (and even Bs) at a community college to raise your GPA, since UTHSCSA takes your higher grade and it doesn’t matter if the class is from a two-year or four-year institution. I would also continue to rack up OT observation hours, but in different settings (school, SNF, acute rehab, etc.). It will give you a more extensive picture of the field while also showing the professors that you value its breadth. I would also consider your LORs. Make sure that the people you ask can talk about you favorably beyond general terms. In my case, I had an OT who was able to mention key facility projects I helped with and a professor I had for three classes (who also had me tutor other students). Other things to consider would be your writing/speaking/interpersonal skills, but those are things that shine through the interview process more than anything. Beyond that, I would recommend keeping up with any application updates and verifying that your materials have been received before the deadline. Best of luck to you! :)

Thank you for your response and your help its greatly appreciated.

Does anyone who got accepted into UTMB know what they are doing for housing? It's a different type of area and it's hard to figure out where to even start looking!

I got accepted to TWU Dallas yesterday! YAY!
I just wanted to offer a few pieces of advice. I received my acceptance email midday yesterday and then got a scary voice mail that said they had sent out acceptance emails last week (I never got mine!) and that they hadn't heard from me yet, and if I did not respond by today (1-27) they were going to give my spot away!
I called the department this morning and the woman I spoke with said that a lot of people we're not getting their emails, especially people with gmail accounts. Check your spam folders!! Call if you feel like you need to!!

If you are waiting on word from TWU Dallas or Houston, check your spam folder! I'm not sure if Dallas sent out another round of acceptances yesterday or if a couple of people happened to discover their acceptance emails that day, but another round of acceptances is probably coming soon!

Does anyone who got accepted into UTMB know what they are doing for housing? It's a different type of area and it's hard to figure out where to even start looking!

They have dorms near campus. Popular apartment complexes for students are club of the isle, broad water, and village by the sea! If you haven't joined the UTMB OT class of 2017, you should. You can ask Galveston and school related questions on there!

I may have asked this already, but has there been a FB page started for Texas Tech class of 2017?

Hi everyone! Today anxiety suddenly kicked me because it's February now and we should be hearing from UTHSCSA soon. I called and spoke to Bobbie, she said letters will be mailed out the end of this week saying if we're in or not. Which confused me, because from the interview we were informed that if we did not get accepted we would be put on the waitlist, but she said they already picked their 40 and have no waitlist. (????) I'm not sure how that goes for those accepted and then decline? :wideyed:

No wait List for utsa?! That is shocking and scary considering they are the last school to send out acceptance letters.

No wait List for utsa?! That is shocking and scary considering they are the last school to send out acceptance letters.

After the interview, we were told that 40 would be accepted out of the 70-80 interviewed. Those not immediately accepted would be put on the waiting list and that if slots open up everyone on the waiting list would be reviewed equally again (hence no waiting list number).
I'm anxious about hearing back from UTHSCSA . Its my number one school because I live in San Antonio.

Congratulations to everyone that got accepted! For those that are planning on attending UTMB, there is a Facebook page "UTMB OT class of 2017" that you should join. It's very helpful for tips, info and getting to know your future classmates! :)

Hey I got accepted to UTMB but I can't find the page on facebook to join. I can only find the 2016 one :( is there any wa you could maybe add me?

Just heard back from UTHSCSA I'm not accepted.
I'm sorry to hear that :( don't give up though! I know if you got an interview you are automatically placed on the waitlist.
How did you find out?

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that :( don't give up though! I know if you got an interview you are automatically placed on the waitlist.
How did you find out?
I got a letter in the mail today. It says that I am in the alternate pool; if someone declines to fill a position they might call. So 40/78 interviewed have been accepted. Well alternate pool whooop. Thanks for the kind words Jazz.

I second the question about email or letter. I'm sorry to hear that :(

I got a letter in the mail today. It says that I am in the alternate pool; if someone declines to fill a position they might call. So 40/78 interviewed have been accepted. Well alternate pool whooop. Thanks for the kind words Jazz.

I'm so sorry to hear that!! Everyone's right, don't give up hope. Having been interviewed was already a big accomplishment, you're still eligible.

Has anyone else heard back from UTSAHSC yet?

Hi everyone, I am new here and sadly I was also denied by UTHSCSA. :bigtears:

Yes, I received a letter Saturday denying my admission, which is ok because I will be attending TWU Houston :)
I probably going to apply TWU next year as well to try my luck. please keep us posted how do you like the program over there :)

Yes, I received a letter Saturday denying my admission, which is ok because I will be attending TWU Houston :)
I still haven't heard from utsa! did you letter state that you are on the alternative list? Just curious. This suspense is killing me