General Admissions & OTCAS OT Texas schools 2015 entry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I still haven't heard from utsa! did you letter state that you are on the alternative list? Just curious. This suspense is killing me
I haven't heard anything either. I just called and asked if the letters where all sent out, and they said they were sent out last Tuesday. I live in Lubbock so I'm assuming it's just taking a while to get here. Has anyone else heard from uthsc?

I still haven't heard from utsa! did you letter state that you are on the alternative list? Just curious. This suspense is killing me
I believe it said if a space became available they were gonna let me know. I just read that I didn't get in and that was enough for me lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted into UTHSCSA today! I will most likely be going there so that will open up my spot at TWU Houston for someone on the waitlist

Reactions: 2 users
I got accepted into UTHSCSA today! I will most likely be going there so that will open up my spot at TWU Houston for someone on the waitlist
Congrats! :) Did you get your letter in today?

Reactions: 1 user

Congrats classmate!! I received my acceptance too from UTHSCSA :banana:

Has anybody else been accepted to University of Saint Augustine's summer MOT program? I didn't make it in TWU but will be starting in May at USA-Austin. Just curious who else is out there and if there is a facebook page for networking?

Members don't see this ad :)

Also, What was your degree in and what did you major in if you dont mind me asking?

Also, What was your degree in and what did you major in if you dont mind me asking?
Yes, this was my first time to apply to OT schools. So my undergraduate major is in human development and family studies and I also got my teachers certification in undergrad. From what I understand though, I would say that your undergrad major probably has no effect on your chances of getting into OT schools. I would say your GPA on the prerequisites is most important as well as strong letters of recommendation and a good interview ( although my interview didn't go that great!) Let me know if you need help in any way or have more questions! Good luck!

Yes, this was my first time to apply to OT schools. So my undergraduate major is in human development and family studies and I also got my teachers certification in undergrad. From what I understand though, I would say that your undergrad major probably has no effect on your chances of getting into OT schools. I would say your GPA on the prerequisites is most important as well as strong letters of recommendation and a good interview ( although my interview didn't go that great!) Let me know if you need help in any way or have more questions! Good luck!

Thank you Terrisej!! I appreciate your feedback... I have retaken courses for my prerequisites had two letters from Occupational Therapists but i am unsure what else I can do to better my application. But if you know or have any advice that can help me I would appreciate it.

Has anybody else been accepted to University of Saint Augustine's summer MOT program? I didn't make it in TWU but will be starting in May at USA-Austin. Just curious who else is out there and if there is a facebook page for networking?

Hi Chapsa,
Congrats on your acceptance I considered trying to apply to St. Augustine how was the process? I wanted to apply but have not taken anthropology and would need to see if any of my classes would happen to count and replace that class? Would you happen to know if they count any other classes. Thanks for your time and good luck with the program.

Hello, I realize it is worded kind of funny but you don't need anthropology. You need 15 credit hours in any social sciences, and the categories they list are just examples. My BS is in psych so all 15 of my social science credits are psych classes. The admissions process isn't bad at all and they do a great job answering any questions you have as you go along. I feel that because of the cost of attendance and the fact that it's a very new (to the area) private school, that they get far less applicants than other TX MOT programs. I saw somewhere that TWU got over 700 applicants this year?? You're not going to be competing with that many people at USA. My initial thoughts are that the campus is amazing, the program is high quality and the admissions/finance offices are responsive and helpful.

Hello, I realize it is worded kind of funny but you don't need anthropology. You need 15 credit hours in any social sciences, and the categories they list are just examples. My BS is in psych so all 15 of my social science credits are psych classes. The admissions process isn't bad at all and they do a great job answering any questions you have as you go along. I feel that because of the cost of attendance and the fact that it's a very new (to the area) private school, that they get far less applicants than other TX MOT programs. I saw somewhere that TWU got over 700 applicants this year?? You're not going to be competing with that many people at USA. My initial thoughts are that the campus is amazing, the program is high quality and the admissions/finance offices are responsive and helpful.

Oh really wow okay I see I will look and see what classes will count. I have not taken the GRE but think I should have time to take it. Do you know how many applicants apply? Thank you so much for responding!! I appreciate your help.

They told us the numbers at the interview but it wasn't much? I believe each starting class (summer, spring, and fall) accepts about 15-20 applicants. My interview group consisted of 17, and I think the total applicant pool was not too many either. If you are wait listed and don't make it in on the first application, you will automatically roll over into the next cycle of applicants. Have fun with the GRE, I only took it once but wish I had prepared more.

They told us the numbers at the interview but it wasn't much? I believe each starting class (summer, spring, and fall) accepts about 15-20 applicants. My interview group consisted of 17, and I think the total applicant pool was not too many either. If you are wait listed and don't make it in on the first application, you will automatically roll over into the next cycle of applicants. Have fun with the GRE, I only took it once but wish I had prepared more.

Thank you for your help I appreciate it and yeah hopefully I do alright on it. Thanks for everything and Congrats and goodluck:)

Obviously I’m not Var504 but as a classmate of his, I hope you don’t mind me jumping in! UTHSCSA really does look at an applicant’s “whole package”, so GPA is just one of many factors considered…although it’s a very important one. If you can, I would retake as many of the prerequisite classes you got Cs in (and even Bs) at a community college to raise your GPA, since UTHSCSA takes your higher grade and it doesn’t matter if the class is from a two-year or four-year institution. I would also continue to rack up OT observation hours, but in different settings (school, SNF, acute rehab, etc.). It will give you a more extensive picture of the field while also showing the professors that you value its breadth. I would also consider your LORs. Make sure that the people you ask can talk about you favorably beyond general terms. In my case, I had an OT who was able to mention key facility projects I helped with and a professor I had for three classes (who also had me tutor other students). Other things to consider would be your writing/speaking/interpersonal skills, but those are things that shine through the interview process more than anything. Beyond that, I would recommend keeping up with any application updates and verifying that your materials have been received before the deadline. Best of luck to you! :)
Hey! I was wondering what your advice for parking at UTHSCSA is? I'll be in the OT program and someone mentioned parking is expensive and difficult??? I'm trying to decide how close to campus to try and live. Thanks :)

I know how you guys are feeling I was in the same position. I was accepted to UTHSCSA and I am almost done with my second semester, if you have any questions or need positive advice just let me know. I rarely check this btw but I will try my best to respond. Don't stress be blessed.
Hey! I was wondering what your advice for parking at UTHSCSA is? I'll be in the OT program and someone mentioned parking is expensive and difficult??? I'm trying to decide how close to campus to try and live. Thanks!

Hey! I was wondering what your advice for parking at UTHSCSA is? I'll be in the OT program and someone mentioned parking is expensive and difficult??? I'm trying to decide how close to campus to try and live. Thanks :)

Hey, sorry it took me so long to respond! Parking isn’t too bad, IMO. I have a Zone 5 permit (about $87/year), like most of the OT students do, which gives me parking access to the lots next to our campus. In the late summer/early fall, Lot 17 (which is next to our building) sometimes fills to capacity, and we have to park in Lot 20 and walk about a block downhill (the horror!) to get to class. Additionally, we have a shuttle system which runs every 15 minutes that takes students over to the main campus for free (where the library, and a few classes like cadaver anatomy will be).

I live in a house 7 miles away, and it takes me about 20 minutes to drive to campus in traffic. But the South Texas Medical Center is teaming with apartments fit for any budget, and the majority of my classmates live in the area. A few even live across the street from our school. So if you were to live close enough to campus, you could forgo the parking permit, walk to campus, and just use the shuttle system. But overall, if it’s in your budget, I would get the Zone 5 permit when you go to get your ID badge…a permit also allows you to park in other zones after 5 p.m. and anytime on the weekends.

Hello! Has anyone been accepted off the UTMB, Texas Tech, or TWU Houston wait list yet?

Last edited:
Hello! Has anyone been accepted off the UTMB, Texas Tech, or TWU Houston wait list yet?
I am still on the waitlist at UTMB & it is my only option so I'm really hoping to get in. I wonder how many are on the waitlist and how many have gotten in!

Last edited:
For UTHSCSA applicants: I am applying this fall to the uthscsa OT program! The application doesn't open up until August 1, 2015 but I wanted to prepare my essays this summer. I know they are not the same very year but if anyone in the last three years who have applied remembers the essay prompts I would greatly appreciate if yall could share them!

For UTHSCSA applicants: I am applying this fall to the uthscsa OT program! The application doesn't open up until August 1, 2015 but I wanted to prepare my essays this summer. I know they are not the same very year but if anyone in the last three years who have applied remembers the essay prompts I would greatly appreciate if yall could share them!

Hi! Are you talking about personal statement essays? I'm not sure if UTHSCSA requires them this year but they did not last app round. Once you're invited for an interview they do require an 8-min written essay, which is basically a PO, I believe the question was along the lines of "what personal experience made you realize OT was for you."

I think UTHSCSA applications switched to OTCAS now?

Hello! Has anyone at least heard of any movement on the UTMB or TWU Houston wait list? I'm getting nervous. I haven't heard of any wait list movement.

Hello! Has anyone at least heard of any movement on the UTMB or TWU Houston wait list? I'm getting nervous. I haven't heard of any wait list movement.
I am currently on the UTMB waitlist and have not heard anything either.

I'm also currently on the wait list at TWU Houston and haven't heard any news!

For those who are accepted to TWU, what are your GRE scores? TWU is one of my top schools, and I'm taking the GRE in two more days. I'm nervous that my scores won't be good enough for acceptance.

Thanks in advance!

For those who are accepted to TWU, what are your GRE scores? TWU is one of my top schools, and I'm taking the GRE in two more days. I'm nervous that my scores won't be good enough for acceptance.

Thanks in advance!

The last group of applicants who were accepted to TWU were not required to take the GRE! I would look at the GRE scores of applicants accepted to other schools to maybe get a general idea.

What was the interview like?

Thanks in advance!
Yeah I just took the GRE and I made a 332 :/ Not great but its too late to retake it. I'm still applying to TWU-Dallas though!

Hi, I hope to get into UTHSCSA...would you mind sharing your stats? I want to know if my resume is competitive enough or what I might need to add