Other OT-Related Information OT vs SLP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTOtter

Reaction score
Hi, I'm posting this in both the OT and SLP forums for feedback:

Can anyone give me some insight into the pros and cons of OT vs Speech (financial especially)?

Background: I’m a pre-OT student but feeling very lost. My college doesn’t really have any other students pursuing OT and my professors don’t know much about it so I am kind of muddling through it without much guidance.

When I first looked up OT in NY, I saw salaries that were around $90k. Now a few years later, I’m seeing OTs making only $65k so I don’t know which to believe. I’m in my senior year, one class away from finishing all my pre-OT requisites, and I’m about to start shadowing in a few days. Is it smarter to drop pre-OT and get my post-bacc in Speech Language Pathology instead to increase my earning potential?

Members don't see this ad.

Occupational Therapist BLS
Speech Language Pathologist BLS

Traditional earning potential will be most likely higher for SLP. Occupational therapy is broad so some people go very niche or inventive to match earning potential. I personally love OT very much and don't think it is very well understood. It is also context-dependent. For example, home health is high yielding whereas school setting may be low yield. I always encourage people to research so they can get as much insight into the profession before committing.

Reactions: 1 user
Salaries are dependent on what setting you are in. Home health 100k is okay. However, it's a lot of work. Also, the availability of jobs may be an issue. Less pay/jobs in desirable areas etc.

Looks like I have to work harder every year to make the same amount of money. Not sure if OT-specific or all therapists have to do this.