OT What are you cooking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sad to say that I've been kept alive lately by Subway and Maxwell House. Because surgery. But I'm making grilled cheese right now, on homemade cheese and onion bread, so that's something... right?

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Been getting my wife to branch out more with foods lately. Did swordfish with mushroom quinoa and sweet roasted acorn squash for dinner tonight.

If anyone has recipes that would help with broadening my lovely wife’s horizons (and mine as well) would love to hear them. She typically will only eat poultry or seafood, pork (and any derivative) is usually a no go, she will only eat beef it’s in small pieces (or a stir fry), she will eat tofu, and she will eat sausages with almost meat in it. She will eat almost all veggies but onions, and she will eat virtually any carb. Almost any country of origin food is good except Greek, wife refuses that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Been getting my wife to branch out more with foods lately. Did swordfish with mushroom quinoa and sweet roasted acorn squash for dinner tonight.

If anyone has recipes that would help with broadening my lovely wife’s horizons (and mine as well) would love to hear them. She typically will only eat poultry or seafood, pork (and any derivative) is usually a no go, she will only eat beef it’s in small pieces (or a stir fry), she will eat tofu, and she will eat sausages with almost meat in it. She will eat almost all veggies but onions, and she will eat virtually any carb. Almost any country of origin food is good except Greek, wife refuses that.

@mizchiefmanaged I also share a dislike of Greek
Mint and yogurt and olives? Yuck

But also that mushroom and squash sounds awesome

• Dislike
  • Sad
@mizchiefmanaged I also share a dislike of Greek
Mint and yogurt and olives? Yuck

But also that mushroom and squash sounds awesome
Bleh bleh bleh tzaziki is like something out of a nightmare. I love olives oddly enough but that’s about it lol.

I will eat pulled pork and bacon so I’m not THAAAATTTT bad lol. Burgers are great, too! I’m not nearly as picky as he makes me sound :rofl:

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Carbs :hungover:rools:

Reactions: 2 users

I have done the reddit 52 weeks of cooking challenges off and on for several years and find it a great way to try new things: r/52weeksofcooking

Like this week was Russian, and I made solyanka (with pickles, olives, potatoes, all sorts of weirdness!)... was delicious:

RFDagJj.jpg

There's lots of inspiration there.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
I have done the reddit 52 weeks of cooking challenges off and on for several years and find it a great way to try new things: r/52weeksofcooking

Like this week was Russian, and I made solyanka (with pickles, olives, potatoes, all sorts of weirdness!)... was delicious:

RFDagJj.jpg

There's lots of inspiration there.
Quit giving me more things to get into! This is cool inspiration though, you've introduced me to a lot of cool subreddits

Reactions: 1 users
I think I'm cooking with my phone tonight so I have leftovers for at least part of the week.

if you are being cost conscious, and thus have a cheaper, tougher cut of meat, then low and slow is the best way to make it fall apart tender. Use of a crockpot is awesomeness. load it up in the morning, it cooks all day, comes out sooo tender.

Members don't see this ad :)
also, someone was asking about keeping things cool, and using frozen waterbottles. I have to put a plug in for this. we got a lunch box from the container store. it is soft sided. you throw it in the freezer, and it freezes. then you stuff full of stuff, and away you go. We brought back cheese and sausages from Pittsburgh--from the time we pulled it out of the freezer and loaded it up, until we got home, was about 10 hours. lunch box had thawed, but everything was still cold inside. May not hold up to 12 hours, but it handled about 10 just fine. O, and included being unpacked and inspected by TSA...LOL it looked funny on the xrays...a container with three balls of mozzarella, and a 2lb package of italian sausages placed on top....

also, someone was asking about keeping things cool, and using frozen waterbottles. I have to put a plug in for this. we got a lunch box from the container store. it is soft sided. you throw it in the freezer, and it freezes. then you stuff full of stuff, and away you go. We brought back cheese and sausages from Pittsburgh--from the time we pulled it out of the freezer and loaded it up, until we got home, was about 10 hours. lunch box had thawed, but everything was still cold inside. May not hold up to 12 hours, but it handled about 10 just fine. O, and included being unpacked and inspected by TSA...LOL it looked funny on the xrays...a container with three balls of mozzarella, and a 2lb package of italian sausages placed on top....

It was me that asked about this. Thanks, killerleaf! :)

RTC, you are welcome. It was about $20, but it is cute, in a blue floral pattern, and looks like a normal insulated lunch pack/box/thing. Well worth it, I have used it several times since then, for shorter periods of time (just an hour or two) and it has worked beautifully.

We got hello fresh for the first time this week. I’m not sold on it, mostly due to the cost, but I will admit the food is tasty and easy to prep. If nothing else, it gives me some inspiration for meals to make.
B84C9BBB-90BB-4D5B-BC7C-7AFCE8A47A76.jpeg

Tunisian stuffed peppers

Reactions: 2 users
We got hello fresh for the first time this week. I’m not sold on it, mostly due to the cost, but I will admit the food is tasty and easy to prep. If nothing else, it gives me some inspiration for meals to make.
View attachment 293516
Tunisian stuffed peppers
Fun fact: you can get all of the blue apron recipes on their website for free. Not sure if you can for hellofresh, but it’s worth looking

• Wow
Snapchat-1429850270.jpg

I made a chicken apple sausage and vegetable tray bake last night! It was super tasty and will last me at least three or four days worth of meals :hungry:

for everyone who does the veggie roast in the oven: do you have an air fryer? have you tried to do them in their instead of the oven? how is the taste comparison?

for everyone who does the veggie roast in the oven: do you have an air fryer? have you tried to do them in their instead of the oven? how is the taste comparison?
My friend has “roasted” broccoli in her air fryer and it is fantastic! The tips even get that browned, crisp deliciousness to them. If I had an air fryer that’d be how I’d make my veggies.

My girlfriend and her sister are Chinese (adopted) so her family has always had the tradition of going out for Chinese food on lunar new year. This year her family came down and the three of us cooked a full dinner. Sesame chicken, Mongolian beef, ribs (her mom accidentally got baby back instead of spare ribs... oops), fried rice, and lo mein.
8AE83CA0-4E65-4061-97BB-4645B00F157B.jpeg
CCD9521D-6048-481E-B2E3-B66451017375.jpeg
6286A22F-0482-4BD9-9DA9-F4CA63DE7F58.jpeg

• Love
o my. that looks sooooo good!!
Thanks! It was actually pretty easy. The biggest secret is to “velvet” the chicken before frying it. Basically marinating it in an egg white, rice vinegar, corn starch, and oil for 30 minutes and then simmering the chicken in water for three minutes. That apparently breaks up the proteins a bit and makes it a lot more tender. Then batter and fry it until it’s starting to change color and is sort of crispy, drain the chicken, and fry it again until golden brown.

• Love
I will keep your tips in mind for the chicken...it sounds very labor intensive!! the beef looks sooooo yummy too...well, yeah, all of it looks great!!

Didn't take a pic (I can tomorrow if anyone truly cares lol) and not sure what to call it. Some kind of Indian fusion beef stew? It's definitely tasty, but for having garlic & curry powder & jalapeno in it, it isn't very spicy!

Didn't take a pic (I can tomorrow if anyone truly cares lol) and not sure what to call it. Some kind of Indian fusion beef stew? It's definitely tasty, but for having garlic & curry powder & jalapeno in it, it isn't very spicy!
I feel like Indian food and beef don’t belong in the same sentence lol.

It's a recipe I found online. And yeah, it made me pause and shake my head/chuckle a bit, but it's really good!

Veggie chorizo tacos with sautéed onions and pepper. Topped with sour cream, salsa, hot sauce, red onion, cilantro, and lime juice. One thing we’ve been doing before making tacos has been shredding cheese in the pan before adding the tortilla to make a layer of crispy cheese on the inside. I used tillamook sharp cheddar this time. So yummy. I may have eaten a taco before I remembered maybe I should take a picture :p
98A83AF3-49CF-4E3B-BEEB-F898FCAF3C66.jpeg

• Wow
  • Love
It's a recipe I found online. And yeah, it made me pause and shake my head/chuckle a bit, but it's really good!
I mean I think about a third of the country is vegetarian and no more than 10%-15% eat beef. I have never heard of an Indian dish containing beef.

I mean I think about a third of the country is vegetarian and no more than 10%-15% eat beef. I have never heard of an Indian dish containing beef.
I've had beef vindaloo at restaurants, but I agree that beef in Indian cuisine is extremely rare!

India is a large and diverse country. Also, the Indian diaspora is enormous, and cuisines are adapted when people move to new places.

The % of meat consumption in India may be underreported, as well.

India is a large and diverse country. Also, the Indian diaspora is enormous, and cuisines are adapted when people move to new places.

The % of meat consumption in India may be underreported, as well.
Never said it wasn't so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

That article sticks to the 15% I said earlier.

I honestly hate when "fusion" cuisines do things like this tbh. Beef is culturally taboo, if not down right illegal in most of the country.

Never said it wasn't so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

That article sticks to the 15% I said earlier.

I honestly hate when "fusion" cuisines do things like this tbh. Beef is culturally taboo, if not down right illegal in most of the country.
:shrug: "fusion" often happens when people immigrate and it might be Goan in the first place.

I don't think it's the place of people not of a given heritage to say what is or is not allowed to be included in their cuisine

:shrug: "fusion" often happens when people immigrate and it might be Goan in the first place.

I don't think it's the place of people not of a given heritage to say what is or is not allowed to be included in their cuisine
When did I ever say it isn't allowed in their cuisine? because at this point you're making things up and it's getting a bit ridiculous lol. I literally used straight up statistics on the % of people in India who eat beef. And also, it quite literally is illegal in the majority of the country, like I said. but you can argue with facts all you want.
Additionally, I would be surprised at any recipe found on the internet claiming to be a beef Indian "fusion" dish that wasn't written by a white person (or someone non-indian). But honestly you just sound like you wanna argue for the sake of arguing (shocker! what's new here?!?!) since that's what purportedly brings you joy lol.

Fun fact: there’s an Indian place near me that has at least one beef dish. The owner is an Indian chef who has been on a couple food network shows, including Beat Bobby Flay where he did beat Bobby.

• Wow
Quick research shows that beef consumption is not at all rare in the southern state of Kerala and you can easily find South Indian beef dishes. Which doesnt surprise me-south Indian is a pretty different cuisine.

This has been a hot topic on this thread haha

Meanwhile I am marinating a pork tenderloin to roast with some cauliflower and sweet potatoes tomorrow night :hungry:

• Love
Come back and see my dinner started a riot! lol

Whatever... it was delicious :hungry:

My favorite dish when I go to an Indian restaurant is chicken saag... anyone ever try to make that at home before?

Sent from my SM-G960U using SDN mobile

My favorite dish when I go to an Indian restaurant is chicken saag... anyone ever try to make that at home before?
I just had this last night :laugh: (although tbh I was expecting paneer and bit into a piece of chicken and was very confused for a second lol.)

I have an awesome recipe for saag "paneer" made with feta, from a cookbook called Indian-ish. It's really good and the author Priya Krishna is hilarious

I can PM you the recipe if you want!

I just had this last night (although tbh I was expecting paneer and bit into a piece of chicken and was very confused for a second lol.)

I have an awesome recipe for saag "paneer" made with feta, from a cookbook called Indian-ish. It's really good and the author Priya Krishna is hilarious

I can PM you the recipe if you want!
Sure! I'd love to try it!

Sent from my SM-G960U using SDN mobile

On more than half the days Winston goes to doggie daycare, he rolls in poop he finds in the outdoor play yard when the workers supervising the dogs aren’t looking. He likes to roll face first then roll up on his back, so my little white dog gets super gross and then they have to bathe him. He’s not the only one who does it and they’ve said a corgi does it literally every day (Winston only does it about 60-70% of the time), but he now has a reputation.

All that to say that I made them apology cupcakes tonight for having to put up with my little ****head’s bad habit. (Sorry if this is huge, uploading from my phone)

IMG_2792.JPG

• Love
  • Haha
On more than half the days Winston goes to doggie daycare, he rolls in poop he finds in the outdoor play yard when the workers supervising the dogs aren’t looking. He likes to roll face first then roll up on his back, so my little white dog gets super gross and then they have to bathe him. He’s not the only one who does it and they’ve said a corgi does it literally every day (Winston only does it about 60-70% of the time), but he now has a reputation.

All that to say that I made them apology cupcakes tonight for having to put up with my little ****head’s bad habit. (Sorry if this is huge, uploading from my phone)

View attachment 294729
The perfect cupcakes for that apology :rofl:

View attachment 294729

POOPCAKES