OT What are you cooking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You sound like you've joined the vmh and @Trilt school of cooking. Rule #1 is you forget to measure everything and you substitute half of the recipe, assuming there ever was a recipe
I beat this membership proudly if it comes with edible food

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You sound like you've joined the vmh and @Trilt school of cooking. Rule #1 is you forget to measure everything and you substitute half of the recipe, assuming there ever was a recipe
I measure some things. Moreso if I'm baking obviously. For spices I hold the measuring spoon above the dish and dump in its general direction. Hasn't failed me yet lol.

Reactions: 1 users
I measure some things. Moreso if I'm baking obviously. For spices I hold the measuring spoon above the dish and dump in its general direction. Hasn't failed me yet lol.
I generally measure when I bake but I also have a bad habit of looking at two or three recipes and combining my favorite parts of all of them

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I generally measure when I bake but I also have a bad habit of looking at two or three recipes and combining my favorite parts of all of them
Oh, and I at least double the garlic in everything. And if it doesn't call for any it probably needs some. (I'm not a sweets fan, so it's not like I'm adding it to apple pie or anything)

This is a quinoa stuffing that I made as a main, with soft boiled eggs

IMG_20200326_2030003.jpg

• Love
I made this bomb alfredo the other day and it was absolutely delightful.

I made some roasted brussel sprouts as a side, too, and let me tell you - roasted brussel sprouts + bomb alfredo = excellent combination.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I made this bomb alfredo the other day and it was absolutely delightful.

I made some roasted brussel sprouts as a side, too, and let me tell you - roasted brussel sprouts + bomb alfredo = excellent combination.
Alfredo is one of the first things I learned how to cook. Still a favorite :D

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
I've had okra and I can say with certainty I never need to experience that again :p

• Wow
I haven’t had okra either! Any recommendations for a positive first okra experience?

Indian preparations for okra are also delicious and counteract the potential slime, especially if it's a fried or "dry fried" recipe

Look up bhindi masala

Dry fried is def the best preparation imo. I don't hate okra but it solidly falls in a category where most of the time I'd rather it were a different vegetable, ha.

I don't hate okra but it solidly falls in a category where most of the time I'd rather it were a different vegetable, ha.
This!

Has anyone tried 22 day nutrition meal planner? Reviews online aren’t great but the service itself (basically meals and grocery list weekly) would fit my needs so well.
I’ve thus far pretty much struck out trying to find a gf and vegetarian meal kit service. Lots have gf or vegetarian but not combined. Or they are meals you reheat and I would like the meals to make since it’s for two people. I found purple carrot (which I have yet to determine if safe for people with Celiac’s disease) but struck out with the rest. Thanks!!

Lunch was almond flour quesadilla filled with roasted purple sweet potatoes and onions, cheddar, feta, and vegan sour cream. Topped with verde salsa, hot sauce, homemade spicy Japanese style mayo (usually I hate mayo but this is good), and cilantro. Penzey’s spices used: extra spicy red chili flakes, northwoods fire, Quebec beef spice, and granulated garlic.
8DC0378A-CD7B-4290-81CF-0A32C9FE6A4E.jpeg

• Love
  • Wow
Dinner was calzones made with local gf pizza dough and filled with pizza sauce, mozzarella, capers, kalamata olives, garlic, caramelized onions, diced tomatoes, and arugula. Penzey’s spices used were extra hot red chili flakes and pizza seasoning. Plus a little Maldon salt ;) yum
498D7D9C-CDB9-4C96-988B-7FC6FF28F32D.jpeg

8D2157A9-5335-4FB3-BEE8-F81B69D2C375.jpeg

8B6CFFE9-0992-4BCF-AF29-D478D1940FCF.jpeg

Chili question:

Is it still chili if it has non-traditional ingredients? Other than beans?

I made chili with spinach and corn, but also the usual beef, onions, tomatoes, spices. I really like it with spinach, though it definitely does't look like a chili at that point even though it still tastes like one. Even the husband wanted to try it, and he's a super picky eater.

• Hmm
Chili question:

I made chili with spinach and corn, but also the usual beef, onions, tomatoes, spices. I really like it with spinach, though it definitely does't look like a chili at that point even though it still tastes like one. Even the husband wanted to try it, and he's a super picky eater.

If there's no beans in it, its still chili :thumbup:

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Chili question:

Adding carrots, corns, zucchini, and chickpeas just makes the chili even better. Never tried spinach but I would still count it.

Chili question:

if I put jalapeños in my dirty rice, is it still dirty rice? Cause that’s a thing that’s about to happen.:heckyeah:

• Love
I've been back eating Keto again for the past 3 days, much easier to stick with a diet when someone is having to provide each meal for you.. I am looking forward to being able to cook for myself again.

Anyone else currently following a keto diet? I am always looking for inspiration for meals, and at the moment I have more time to experiment. Normally when I am working nights I am making the most basic food.

I've been back eating Keto again for the past 3 days, much easier to stick with a diet when someone is having to provide each meal for you.. I am looking forward to being able to cook for myself again.

Anyone else currently following a keto diet? I am always looking for inspiration for meals, and at the moment I have more time to experiment. Normally when I am working nights I am making the most basic food.

Keto is my lifestyle M-F. Needless to say the world shutdown has changed everything and boredom has had me cooking way more - not bad meals, but definitely not keto. PM me if you want to talk about it in depth.

Keto is my lifestyle M-F. Needless to say the world shutdown has changed everything and boredom has had me cooking way more - not bad meals, but definitely not keto. PM me if you want to talk about it in depth.
I still haven't been keto longer than 8 weeks straight.. so definitely haven't got into the rhythm of it. I am excited to get to the US because as far as I have seen, many more options seem to be available with low carb foods over there than here in Australia. Will def PM you, thanks!

Here’s an easy lemon chicken I made the other night!!! So tasty! I made two batches of the sauce in the recipe and marinated the chicken before pan frying. I also used a bit of olive oil in the pan in addition to the butter. I recommend pan frying at a lower temp and also setting the oven for 375-385 so that the chicken doesn’t dry out.
Easy Lemon Baked Chicken

Had no idea this thread existed so now I’m super excited to scroll through and also post some of my own recipes!!!

That’s so cool!!! I’m adopted from China too! Although, funny enough, I’m not huge on Chinese food. I actually prefer Italian
It’s funny because she really likes Americanized Chinese food, but is weirded out by some of the authentic stuff. We always joke about that. Not to mention on our first date I had to teach her how to use chopsticks.

It’s funny because she really likes Americanized Chinese food, but is weirded out by some of the authentic stuff. We always joke about that. Not to mention on our first date I had to teach her how to use chopsticks.
Lol I KINDA know how to use chopsticks. As for Americanized Chinese food, I like spring rolls, egg drop soup, fortune cookies... I’ve never had authentic Chinese food

Reading about Chinese food reminded me that I made fried rice this week. The last time I made fried rice I didn't realize you were supposed to use old rice, and I don't recall it tasting very good. This time, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out :)

Vegetable Fried Rice

IMG_20200404_1858041.jpg

Reading about Chinese food reminded me that I made fried rice this week. The last time I made fried rice I didn't realize you were supposed to use old rice, and I don't recall it tasting very good. This time, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out :)

Vegetable Fried Rice

View attachment 301395
Nice!!!! In a pinch, I’ve found if you just cook the rice a little longer to dry it out a bit, then throw it in the fridge for maybe an hour, that gets it pretty close to rice from the day before. LOVE making fried rice.

When I get around to typing out my recipe for cream puff casserole I'll post that here too...

I need more details on what this is
Its like a cream puff but in a casserole dish. Super easy to make and you cut and eat it like you would cake!

• Wow
Cream Puff Casserole Recipe

Crust

1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick)
1 cup water
1 cup flour
4 large eggs
  1. In a medium saucepan, heat the water and butter to a boil.
  2. Turn off heat.
  3. Add flour and stir until it forms a ball.
  4. Let cool for 10 minutes.
  5. Beat in eggs one at a time.
  6. Grease the bottom of a 9x13 pan
  7. Spread the mixture and bake for 30 minutes at 425º F
  8. Let the crust cool.
Filling
8 oz of cool whip + a little more
2 packages (3oz) instant vanilla pudding
2 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. Beat the vanilla pudding mix, milk, and vanilla together until fully combined.
  2. Fold in the cool whip, ensuring not to let it deflate too much.
  3. Spread filling onto cooled crust with a spatula
Topping
1 jar of Sander’s Dark Chocolate Hot Fudge Dessert Topping (you can use any brand or even milk chocolate but this is what I prefer)
Piping bags and tips (optional)
  1. Using an assembled piping bag, spoon chocolate topping onto the filling. Design as you please! (This is optional, you could also probably spoon the chocolate on or place it in a ziplock bag as a makeshift piping bag. I just find piping bags work best and the final product looks the nicest)

exps33266_BHD153762D07_10_3b.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love