OT What are you cooking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Send to me pls
It's half done! I have to let the toffee set/cool before I can put bananas and whipped cream on it

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
please share recipe.
Egg Drop Soup | China Sichuan Food This is the recipe I followed (mostly). I didn't remove the ginger/green onions when it said to, so I got some bites of gingery kick and I liked that. I also added like a quarter of a can of corn (like the normal sweet corn, not the creamed stuff), some garlic powder, and yeah that's about it.

It wasn't as thick as some restaurants have it, you could probably make it more thick by either adding more of the corn starch slurry or just doing less of the chicken broth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Snapchat-1667340699.jpg

By the way, this is the soup (after I gave it a kind of aggressive stir). I'll probably post the pie on here once I finish it

Reactions: 3 users
I've been in some sort of a sweet mood and decided to make an apple crisp. It's currently in the oven, I'll post a picture when it's done!

Edit: here it is:

Attachments

• C50B7653-3D30-4660-BB3E-C9975EF172D0.jpeg
    C50B7653-3D30-4660-BB3E-C9975EF172D0.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Egg Drop Soup | China Sichuan Food This is the recipe I followed (mostly). I didn't remove the ginger/green onions when it said to, so I got some bites of gingery kick and I liked that. I also added like a quarter of a can of corn (like the normal sweet corn, not the creamed stuff), some garlic powder, and yeah that's about it.

It wasn't as thick as some restaurants have it, you could probably make it more thick by either adding more of the corn starch slurry or just doing less of the chicken broth.

Thank you! will give this a shot tonight. My hubby and I both love egg drop soup, but I have hunted and not found a recipe we like.

Vmh inspired me and I made carrot ginger soup last night.

While celebrating my partner's promotion with lots of vodka+cokes...

My stove is ever so mildly caked in carrot soup lava and it feels like there are at least double the dishes dirty that there should be, but man that soup is deliiicious.

Reactions: 6 users
Gallo pinto with an egg and guacamole and chips
8C4ADDD7-1D11-44A9-A366-3579CCBD14B4.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Vmh inspired me and I made carrot ginger soup last night.

While celebrating my partner's promotion with lots of vodka+cokes...

My stove is ever so mildly caked in carrot soup lava and it feels like there are at least double the dishes dirty that there should be, but man that soup is deliiicious.
I feel like I inspire you a lot. Didn't I also convince you to make a metric butt ton of caramelized onions a month or two ago too?

I threw chili in the crock pot and let it simmer overnight. It smells really good in here! :)

Can anyone help me not be lazy and cook thing that are easy but delicious? (needs to be gluten free and vegetarian)
Have you ever seen the weekly meal plans at Hummussapien?

I usually make 1-2 things a week that they post, and have yet to be disappointed.

They also tell you whether recipes are gluten free / vegan and offer suggestions for making recipes gluten free/vegan if they are not already.

Here's the most recent week:
Healthy Vegetarian Meal Plan: Week of 3-16-19 - Hummusapien

And the question must be asked...are there beans in your chili?
In the mood to (re)start a war, are you? ;) (I have a hunch the photo's going to be huge... apologies in advance!)

upload_2019-3-16_17-16-9.png

Reactions: 5 users
A very silly question, but...

I have a massive fear of germs and am a little skeeved out by heating food uncovered in a public microwave. It's why I eat too many deli turkey sandwiches and too much cold pizza.

I know not to heat food with the Tupperware lid still on to avoid explosion and/or getting scalded by a blast of steam when I open the lid to get to the food.

My question is....if it's okay to put things in the microwave with some paper towel over it, does that mean that it's also okay to heat a Tupperware container covered with microwave-safe Saran wrap?

If I poke holes in the Saran wrap to vent like Google suggested, am I risking airborne germs getting through to my food?

A very silly question, but...

I have a massive fear of germs and am a little skeeved out by heating food uncovered in a public microwave. It's why I eat too many deli turkey sandwiches and too much cold pizza.

I know not to heat food with the Tupperware lid still on to avoid explosion and/or getting scalded by a blast of steam when I open the lid to get to the food.

My question is....if it's okay to put things in the microwave with some paper towel over it, does that mean that it's also okay to heat a Tupperware container covered with microwave-safe Saran wrap?

If I poke holes in the Saran wrap to vent like Google suggested, am I risking airborne germs getting through to my food?
Have you tried a Tupperware with a vent? Or if it doesn’t bother you, I usually just take the lid off and turn it a bit so it’s still mostly covering my Tupperware but steam has a small escape like a venting Tupperware

Reactions: 2 users
Have you tried a Tupperware with a vent? Or if it doesn’t bother you, I usually just take the lid off and turn it a bit so it’s still mostly covering my Tupperware but steam has a small escape like a venting Tupperware

That’s what I do too.
And there are containers with little vents on the lids, I have a few from a couple different brands.

I’ve also reheated with a paper towel over it, or I just turn a plate upside down over it (for bowls, would prob work for a Tupperware sized container, like if there are any plates avail)

Still have a bit of that chili left (which tastes as good as it smelled - go team beans!) and I made a loaf of cheese and onion bread. Naturally I've been making that into toast to go with the chili... a combination that I highly recommend!!

Lazy veg/gf meal I've been making a lot. Make some rice. Then put on some sesame oil, tamari, maybe some vinegar (ugh there is some specific type my partner buys, I think for sushi?). For spices: chili powder, maybe crushed red pepper, granulated shallots, etc. Then put two over medium eggs on top. Super yummy.

Also tomorrow ill try to remember to post my fave spices. I'm a little obsessed with penzey's lol and their **** is soo goood. Plus let's be real some people don't use spices when they cook and it's just sad.

for the microwave....there are a couple of other options. One, I keep a box of wax paper "singles" in my desk. they are wonderful to cover food. Also, look at one of the "dollar" stores (tree, general) they often will have a food cover...mine is pink and the handle is a pig face. It is like a dome.

So we tried freshly.com this month, and I'm thinking about trying grazed.com. First meal was pretty tasty but no left overs. There is two of us though so, if you ordered the 6 meals (for free shipping) you would have 3 lunches. They are microwavable... not as good as a lot of things we make at home but good for a week with late meetings or exams.

Hit me up if you want a code cuz i think we both get a discount?

Last edited:
upload_2019-3-26_18-57-3.png

The co-op a few blocks away finally got the beyond meat wieners. Made a hot Italian one on a slice of local GF bread with Tillamook cheddar. Also featuring a salt brined pickle (in case your meal needs two phallic shaped foods)

Overall, I like the burgers better. but I do think these may have needed a bit more cooking time and some better condiments lol. I also acknowledge this isn't super attractive looking but tasted pretty good haha

View attachment 255433
The co-op a few blocks away finally got the beyond meat wieners. Made a hot Italian one on a slice of local GF bread with Tillamook cheddar. Also featuring a salt brined pickle (in case your meal needs two phallic shaped foods)

Overall, I like the burgers better. but I do think these may have needed a bit more cooking time and some better condiments lol. I also acknowledge this isn't super attractive looking but tasted pretty good haha
ohhh jealous. They're not in any stores here *cries* How would you say they compare to Field Roast sausages, if you've had those before?

ohhh jealous. They're not in any stores here *cries* How would you say they compare to Field Roast sausages, if you've had those before?
I haven't had field roast since I was 16 since they are basically pure gluten lol and I have celiac. I think I remember field roast being more dense than these though. The texture of the BM sausages is quite similar to the BM burgers imo. But I think I undercooked them even though I followed the instructions. I think they could be really good in some pasta. They are pretty spendy unfortunately and I didn't feel as full as after eating one of the burgers. I will prob stick to the burgers in the future but I also wanna try the "beef" crumbles in some tacos.

I haven't had field roast since I was 16 since they are basically pure gluten lol and I have celiac. I think I remember field roast being more dense than these though. The texture of the BM sausages is quite similar to the BM burgers imo. But I think I undercooked them even though I followed the instructions. I think they could be really good in some pasta. They are pretty spendy unfortunately and I didn't feel as full as after eating one of the burgers. I will prob stick to the burgers in the future but I also wanna try the "beef" crumbles in some tacos.
Oh sorry! I didn't realize you had celiac :( The beyond meat crumbles are really good! I had them in tacos for dinner :)

Oh sorry! I didn't realize you had celiac :( The beyond meat crumbles are really good! I had them in tacos for dinner :)
Oh it's ok. Glad you like them! Weird you have the crumbles but not the sausages :p

Oh it's ok. Glad you like them! Weird you have the crumbles but not the sausages :p
Probably cause they’ve been out for forever haha Pullman is super slow to get new things. I’m hoping the co-op gets the sausages in eventually. But they took a long time to get the burgers, so who knows

Have you ever seen the weekly meal plans at Hummussapien?

I usually make 1-2 things a week that they post, and have yet to be disappointed.

They also tell you whether recipes are gluten free / vegan and offer suggestions for making recipes gluten free/vegan if they are not already.

Here's the most recent week:
Healthy Vegetarian Meal Plan: Week of 3-16-19 - Hummusapien
No I haven't. I will have to check this out!

So we tried freshly.com this month, and I'm thinking about trying grazed.com. First meal was pretty tasty but no left overs. There is two of us though so, if you ordered the 6 meals (for free shipping) you would have 3 lunches. They are microwavable... not as good as a lot of things we home make but good for a week with late meetings or exams.
I've been wanting to try a meal service thing but all the ones I see are so expensive. like $10 a meal. :/ at that price I would rather just eat out lol

For dinner I made a delicious pan fried tilapia with lemon pepper and garlic, some rice that I put random seasonings in, and roasted cauliflower. I decided that I've been eating really bad so I needed to eat healthy. All I can say is holy cow it was so good. (I was too busy chowing down to take a good photo, oops).

It looks delicious but the breading did not stay on eggplant and the eggplant is underdone. Still tasty thanks to the ooey gooey cheese. It is the hardest dish I have attempted.. Funny thing is the first time I made it, it came out great, and these last two times have been more subpar.

I just emailed my Mom for her eggplant parm recipe. Thanks for reminding me that it's one I don't have, that I really love!
It is my choice of dish when eating out. So. Good. @ziggyandjazzy also gluten free pretty easily

Ooh, also the eggplant softened nicely overnight so it is much better today.

It is my choice of dish when eating out. So. Good. @ziggyandjazzy also gluten free pretty easily

Ooh, also the eggplant softened nicely overnight so it is much better today.
I'm sure it is. It looks delicious but eggplant is the only vegetable I won't eat :/ maybe it could be made with zucchini or squash? I think I even have gf breadcrumbs

Just made a brussel sprouts and bacon dish for the first time. I've had it before but never made it! Turned out okay!

My partner brought me home a tamale that was basically the size of my head a day or so ago, and I forgot to take it for lunch. Instead I made it into dinner with fake elotes (frozen corn but still good!) and cumin lime chickpeas from budget bytes, which are fantastic. My stomach is happy.

Also I love eggplant parm but always individually bread/cook the eggplant, then layer it and finish everything off with cheese and sauce.

made chicken and sausage gumbo for friends saturday night...it turned out so good! then made beef stew for supper last night. having more for lunch today! I love cooking for friends, but especially when I have leftovers for the next couple of days!!

D9ABDA95-E47C-4EB5-B4DD-C50F1AFA52B5.jpeg
232D425C-A6CB-45B0-9A61-3D59510527FD.jpeg

Made and ate fried rice for dinner

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Looks delicious! I've been eating my way through one of those frozen meal in a bag things, which was actually pretty good. Some chicken, some pasta, lots of veggies. I have lamb chops thawing for tonight, but no idea what I'll be having with them. I have several rice and pasta options, but I'm out of vegetables (and money...).

I made homemade tortillas for a work potluck. Bought some beans but an awesome coworker got the rest of the fixings.

Tortillas are super easy to make!

I made homemade tortillas for a work potluck. Bought some beans but an awesome coworker got the rest of the fixings.

Tortillas are super easy to make!
Spanish tortilla?

or Central American?

;)

• Haha