OT What are you cooking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Aloo gobi! If you like Indian food.
i almost wrote that with my mashed cauliflower suggestion too
i haz a good recipe if anyone wants it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I made these:
Raspberry-Cream Cheese Crescent Danish

Except I completely changed the filling. I made my own strawberry jam with strawberry bits in it, and I changed the cream cheese filling to cream cheese + sour cream + little sugar + egg yolk + tiny bit of flour. And no almonds or sugar glaze. So basically, I looked at the recipe and thought "That sounds great, let me try to make it without following the recipe at all." They're fantastic!

My partner made this for dinner. Baked carrots, baked panko breaded tofu, and garlic mashed potatoes. All gluten free and vegetarian per usual.
upload_2019-2-28_19-43-41.png

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I made these:
Raspberry-Cream Cheese Crescent Danish

Except I completely changed the filling. I made my own strawberry jam with strawberry bits in it, and I changed the cream cheese filling to cream cheese + sour cream + little sugar + egg yolk + tiny bit of flour. And no almonds or sugar glaze. So basically, I looked at the recipe and thought "That sounds great, let me try to make it without following the recipe at all." They're fantastic!
I am glad that I am not the only one who does this

I read a joke article one time that said that every recipe online is "this wonderful recipe from my cousin, which I changed completely so it would no longer be ****ing terrible" and I feel that.

Most of my recipe changes are either because I am judging the original recipe maker's knowledge of only two spices or I am judging how much freaking work they think I need to put in just to make a glaze or something lol

Tonight I cooked a pizza. With my phone. It's delicious!

Reactions: 3 users
What are your favorite kinds of pies? I want to make something for pi day next week but am not leaning toward any particular kind of pie at the moment

I can and will make the whole thing from scratch, so the real limiting factor here is mostly just imagination and my own laziness

Peach is my favorite. My dad's favorite is apple. Coconut cream is good on occasion and always looks impressive with the meringue. Lemon meringue is also good but I rarely eat it. I like one slice of pecan at Thanksgiving...I did make a bourbon chocolate pecan pie once that was good for a Kentucky Derby party.

I cooked pizza tonight too! But with my iPad. It was supposed to take 70 minutes but only took about 40-45!!! :love:
Mine only took about 40 mins too. I love it when they cook fast!

Members don't see this ad :)
Peach is my favorite. My dad's favorite is apple. Coconut cream is good on occasion and always looks impressive with the meringue. Lemon meringue is also good but I rarely eat it. I like one slice of pecan at Thanksgiving...I did make a bourbon chocolate pecan pie once that was good for a Kentucky Derby party.
I had considered fruit pies but was a little worried since most traditional pie fruits are out of season right now. I may do some hand pies with fruit though :thinking:
I love banana cream pie. With nilla wafers.
@WildZoo
My banana cream pies always turn into banana pudding halfway through the process haha.

I mean they have banana pudding in them so I think you’re doing something right?
Oh, I just mean I get excited about the components and end up layering custard/nilla wafers/bananas/whipped cream into a banana pudding the way my grandma used to make

sorta like this
1393906711384.jpeg

Oh, I just mean I get excited about the components and end up layering custard/nilla wafers/bananas/whipped cream into a banana pudding the way my grandma used to make

sorta like this
1393906711384.jpeg
Ahhhhh
I mean that’s still a delicious option
My banana cream pie is nilla wafers crushed into a crust, massive layer of nanners, 1/2 of the banana pudding (I am a peasant and use boxed pudding because it has a lovely artificial banana flavor), then 1/2 of the whipped cream mixed with the other pudding, then the rest of the whipped cream on top. And now I want banana cream pie. Or banana pudding.

What are your favorite kinds of pies? I want to make something for pi day next week but am not leaning toward any particular kind of pie at the moment

I can and will make the whole thing from scratch, so the real limiting factor here is mostly just imagination and my own laziness

Omg. Ok so NYT cooking has some amazing recipes.
There’s a gluten free cranberry curd tart with hazelnut crust that’s sooo goooood. Another good one is a berry Apple butter pie.

Cranberry Curd Tart Recipe

Berry Apple-Butter Pie Recipe

If you need the actuals recipes bc of subscription reasons lmk and I can PM to you

Mint oreo pie with Graham cracker crust

note to self to make this

That cranberry curd tart above is GF! Made it for my celiacs friend and it was a big hit! Also made it for my fam at thanksgiving and it was a bigger hit than my normal pie crust

Does it have to be a dessert pie? Because my vote would be steak and mushroom pie or some variant.

Today I tried making banana bread with oats instead of flour since I was out of flour. Not bad!

cherry pie dressed with the blood of my enemies

That cranberry curd tart above is GF! Made it for my celiacs friend and it was a big hit! Also made it for my fam at thanksgiving and it was a bigger hit than my normal pie crust
Ooh I will have to check that out ty!

Skimming through the new posts on this thread.
And now I'm craving pizza and pie -- you all suck! I would especially like iphone pizza which does not exist in my world :(

Oh, I love a good mustard cream sauce! I use it for both pork and chicken...I prefer it with porkchops but both are good. I really like how easy it is to put together, and it keeps pretty well.

Yes. From the bottom it goes Graham cracker, then crushed mint oreos mushed into paste, then cool whip/cream cheese/mint flavored/green food colored, then crinkle mint oreos on top!
33448.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
OMG we have a cooking thread?? Cooking is my fave past time!! I made beef bourguignon the other day, I bought a staub cocotte recently and i’m obsessed

Attachments

• 4A1F2C37-7D60-47D4-9873-1C953FEB89A0.jpeg
    4A1F2C37-7D60-47D4-9873-1C953FEB89A0.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 80
IMG_20190310_2314503.jpg
I made a Persian stew. Eggplants and lentils in a citrus-pomegranate base. Also ever since I learned about tahdig (the crust on the rice) that's the only way I want to eat it

The other day I made some baked lemon-y dill salmon (it was delicious). I basically half meal prepped but I was reminded why I never do that because, for whatever reason, most leftover foods never sound appetizing to me so I just kept forgetting to actually eat the other two filets of salmon I had. So, last night, I made salmon cakes out of my leftovers! Turned out pretty great imo.

Here are some pics of the finished products:
IMG_3777.jpg
IMG_3783.jpg

For anyone interested, here's the recipe I used for the salmon cakes: Make the Most of Leftover Salmon With These Crispy Salmon Cakes

Still savoring the left over stew I have. I think I have one more day of stew but a few extra servings of rice. Let me just say, if you have never cooked rice with tahdig, you are missing out. I'm honestly not sure I could enjoy it any other way anymore :p (the tahdig is the crunchy part on the rice, made by continuing to steam it after the water is gone)

It's currently blizzarding in Fort Collins. I decided I wanted soup so I made some egg drop/egg flower soup (whichever you prefer to say it. Both are correct so it doesn't really matter). Definitely hitting the spot.

It's currently blizzarding in Fort Collins. I decided I wanted soup so I made some egg drop/egg flower soup (whichever you prefer to say it. Both are correct so it doesn't really matter). Definitely hitting the spot.
I'm in the process of making roasted carrot & ginger soup right now! Also probably going to make that pie since they cancelled school

Reactions: 2 users
I'm in the process of making roasted carrot & ginger soup right now! Also probably going to make that pie since they cancelled school
Soup is exactly what we needed at this moment!

please share recipe.