General Admissions & OTCAS OTCAS Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bokonomy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you guys include all work experiences in college? I worked at McDonald's for my first 2 years, and while it might have been a lowly job, I wanted to show that I've worked throughout college.

Another thing I was wondering about including was small practicum/shadowing experiences. I did one in an ESL classroom for 6 hours, which I realize is small, but it was a useful learning tool, and we had to write a case study. I'm iffy on this one.

I have a lot of things included and I don't know if I'm going overboard including everything. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It probably depends. If you're young/new grad, yeah, include everything. If you're older/graduated years ago, maybe not. Working throughout college might be something you'd want to mention in your essay to highlight your work ethic and dedication to studies. I included some experiences from my senior year, but nothing before, because I've been out in the ~real world~ for a while. Although I did work a lot in college, it just feels so long ago now, so it didn't feel relevant *for me*. But everyone is different.

I feel inclined to tell you to include everything, because I can't imagine it hurting. If you have really meaty or meaningful volunteer or work experiences that you *really* want to showcase, then you could do a little editing and only include the experiences that you feel have truly shaped you. But in the absence of that, I would just put everything. It all paints a picture either way.

Reactions: 1 user