OTCAS References

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southerngirl100

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who are experienced with the OTCAS application process, for how long and how well did you know your references? Also, do I understand correctly that the references will have to write a letter in addition to filling out the online forms? How much time did you allot for your references to complete this process?

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who are experienced with the OTCAS application process, for how long and how well did you know your references? Also, do I understand correctly that the references will have to write a letter in addition to filling out the online forms? How much time did you allot for your references to complete this process?

From what I understand, they are asked to rate you on various attributes and can also write more info if they wish. They do not need to submit a formal letter of recommendation. My references all finished it within days of me emailing it so I am sure does not take too long to complete. Definitely make sure you use the electronic option - snail mail could take much longer.

Most of the schools I visited wanted at least 1 OT and 1 Academic (Professor, etc). I used 2 OTs that I shadowed, and 1 professor that I had for a pre-req and did really well in their class. I knew all of them for a year or less. Maybe longer is better but I think if you have only been shadowing or volunteering over the last year or so how could they hold this against you?

Hello! I knew the OT I shadowed for one summer, and she wrote me a recommendation. If you make a good impression, you shouldn't have problems getting letters of recommendation. I asked two other professors who have known me for most of my undergraduate career. But that doesn't necessarily have to be the case.

Ideally, I would ask references a month in advance out of courtesy and I altered the due dates for some who I knew were forgetful so that if something happened and they didn't get it in by my fake deadline, all would not be lost. However, my professors were more than willing to submit last minute recommendations for other students. That happens to them pretty frequently, but I would avoid that if possible. The more warning, the better. I also supplied them with my resume, the classes I had them with, my personal statement, and why I wanted to get into each program.