General Admissions & OTCAS OTCAS Verification 2019-2020 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nfzavala

Reaction score
Just submitted OTCAS last night! Exciting stuff. Let's keep an eye on the turnaround rate. Good luck to everyone. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my first app last Thursday and it was verified in less than 12 hours, so if any of you have even only 1 app ready, I would strongly suggest submitting it now!

I submitted my first app last Thursday and it was verified in less than 12 hours, so if any of you have even only 1 app ready, I would strongly suggest submitting it now!
I submitted 10 schools the 11th. All of them got verified early hours today. I think having sent my transcripts some time ago helped a lot. :)
What school did you apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
My first submission was to Clarkson University in NY because it didn't have any secondary questions, so I got that one done relatively quickly. Once Clarkson got verified, I then submitted to NYIT, D'Youville College, Johnson and Wales, and Pace University, which all got verified within a few hours of submission. I'm about to submit to Tufts and MGH IHP; just finishing up on some of the application materials, so hopefully they also have a quick turnaround time.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone submitted this year or in the past and been successful with entering your transcripts in completely correctly? Did you go off of your official transcripts when it comes to exact names of classes or did you use abbreviations? I'm having trouble deciding if I should spend the money or not for them to enter my transcripts. Any opinions or help would be awesome!

Has anyone submitted this year or in the past and been successful with entering your transcripts in completely correctly? Did you go off of your official transcripts when it comes to exact names of classes or did you use abbreviations? I'm having trouble deciding if I should spend the money or not for them to enter my transcripts. Any opinions or help would be awesome!

Hey! I still haven’t submitted to get verified but I choose to put mines in manually. I heard the professional one could take up to 2 weeks to complete and more, so I didn’t want to take the chance of delaying my application. I talked to previous students who were recently admitted and they advised me to put in the whole course name, not abbreviations.

Hi! I applied last cycle. I used my unofficial transcript. I entered the whole name and the number of credit hours. I started from my first semester all the way thru the one I was in! I had no issues! OTCAS will check everything against your official transcript once you submit them both

Hi y’all! Do you all have any advice on how to write and structure a strong personal statement? I’ve been stressing out about this part of the application the most since I know that it is important.

Hi y’all! Do you all have any advice on how to write and structure a strong personal statement? I’ve been stressing out about this part of the application the most since I know that it is important.
Hi! I applied in the 2018-2019 cycle and was accepted into Sacred Heart University and that is where I will be attending.

The way I structured my personal statement was first talking about my personal background and how my childhood and personal history led me to finding OT. I then went into talking about my undergrad school and how that prepared me for OT school. I mentioned my advisor and how much he helped me. Next I mentioned my internship site and the people I met there and how that experience confirmed my decision to become an OT. I mentioned my long term goals for myself and how my past experiences will help me accomplish those goals. To wrap it up I said how my entire life has shaped me into a person that will be a strong OT.

I am not saying this is how you should shape yours, this is just how I did it. If you have any questions feel free to ask! I was in your shoes a year ago and know how you feel!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hmmmmm... take it with a grain of salt, but I did this:

1. Initial paragraph with basic demographic info of yourself.
2. A mix of your experiences that led you to OT
3. What you aspire to add to the OT field/Goals

I think the hardest part is being entertaining, while not going off tangent. Sorta like storytelling, only that it is about YOU.

I utilized my spare official scripts for the transcription. Although, I figure that an unofficial transcript has all the info. but just isn't "officially sealed". I wrote the classes EXACTLY as given, even when it cut off or abbreviated itself. All my stuff got verified np. Took me maybe 30 mins. tops, since I had to input for 4 schools. haha

My first submission was to Clarkson University in NY because it didn't have any secondary questions, so I got that one done relatively quickly. Once Clarkson got verified, I then submitted to NYIT, D'Youville College, Johnson and Wales, and Pace University, which all got verified within a few hours of submission. I'm about to submit to Tufts and MGH IHP; just finishing up on some of the application materials, so hopefully they also have a quick turnaround time.
Oooooh, doing it in waves? I have a similar plan too, as the deadlines permit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone on here applied to Creighton? Or has anyone had an interview yet that could give any tips? I just got selected for one on Sept. 20 and am super nervous as it will be my first interview!

Hi! I applied in the 2018-2019 cycle and was accepted into Sacred Heart University and that is where I will be attending.

The way I structured my personal statement was first talking about my personal background and how my childhood and personal history led me to finding OT. I then went into talking about my undergrad school and how that prepared me for OT school. I mentioned my advisor and how much he helped me. Next I mentioned my internship site and the people I met there and how that experience confirmed my decision to become an OT. I mentioned my long term goals for myself and how my past experiences will help me accomplish those goals. To wrap it up I said how my entire life has shaped me into a person that will be a strong OT.

I am not saying this is how you should shape yours, this is just how I did it. If you have any questions feel free to ask! I was in your shoes a year ago and know how you feel!!
Thank you for being so helpful! I have a better idea now. :)

Hmmmmm... take it with a grain of salt, but I did this:

1. Initial paragraph with basic demographic info of yourself.
2. A mix of your experiences that led you to OT
3. What you aspire to add to the OT field/Goals

I think the hardest part is being entertaining, while not going off tangent. Sorta like storytelling, only that it is about YOU.
I agree!! Trying not to sound so boring!

If I am waiting on one evaluation and then the GRE scores, can I still submit it for verification?

Has anyone on here applied to Creighton? Or has anyone had an interview yet that could give any tips? I just got selected for one on Sept. 20 and am super nervous as it will be my first interview!
Hey! I'm applying haven't heard back yet but my apps were verified last week. When did you get verified?

I submitted on August 10th and was verified by the following Monday (Aug. 12th). I've seen a lot of posts that people got verified the same day. I think mine took a few days because I had submitted going into the weekend. It took me about a week and a half to hear from Creighton because they review applications at least once a week, maybe more, so you should be hearing pretty quick!

I submitted on August 10th and was verified by the following Monday (Aug. 12th). I've seen a lot of posts that people got verified the same day. I think mine took a few days because I had submitted going into the weekend. It took me about a week and a half to hear from Creighton because they review applications at least once a week, maybe more, so you should be hearing pretty quick!
Thanks for the info! So exciting. I will keep you posted, but I hope you crush it either way!

Ahh thank you!! Best of luck to you as well!! Feel free to message me on here if you get an interview and will have any questions of what its like! :)

You can submit OTCAS apps without being done with everything?
Yeah it worked for me! I would have the majority of the things done, but I was just waiting for one evaluation and I havent taken the GRE yet. I only submitted one application just to get in line for verification, but it allowed me to do so!

Ahh thank you!! Best of luck to you as well!! Feel free to message me on here if you get an interview and will have any questions of what its like! :)
You're the best I definitely will!

Hey! I'm about to apply to Tufts but I don't have my Hep B certificate yet so it won't let me submit it. On the website it says you need the hep certificate upon enrollment so I'm a little confused. Did you just submit the certificate?!

Hey! I'm about to apply to Tufts but I don't have my Hep B certificate yet so it won't let me submit it. On the website it says you need the hep certificate upon enrollment so I'm a little confused. Did you just submit the certificate?!
I wasn't sure about that either, but I just uploaded a record of all the vaccinations I've received from my pediatrician (I had it lying around anyway, so I figured this would be the best thing to put there). If you don't have it, I would probably just email admissions and ask if you could upload a blank document there, or a document that says "will provide proof upon enrollment" or something like that.

Are you submitting your application in waves? If so, does each application have to get verified every time you submit each one?

I submitted my app for verification on Tuesday morning, does anyone know about how long it would take? Good luck to you all! We got this!

Are you submitting your application in waves? If so, does each application have to get verified every time you submit each one?
This is just my understanding of it so it might not be 100% correct. The first app you submit is going to take the longest to be verified. Unless you paid for the transcript entry, for the first application you submit, they have to look at each of your transcripts and make sure everything you inputted is correct. This is why sometimes it takes 4-6 weeks (or whatever the website says) sometimes because when a ton of people are submitting apps, there is probably not enough staff at OTCAS to be handling the large load. If there is anything incorrect, they will fix it for you. After you get that initial verification, all of the other apps you submit will be verified within a day or so (essentially immediately), so it's a really quick turnaround. That's why I suggest submitting to 1 school first (possibly a school you're applying to that has no other secondary essay questions) so that you can spend a lot of time on the other apps while your first app is getting verified.

I submitted my app for verification on Tuesday morning, does anyone know about how long it would take? Good luck to you all! We got this!

I submitted on Saturday, Aug 31st at 8pm and Tuesday, Sept 3rd at 2am I received an email that everything was verified. Super quick turnaround even with the holiday.

Hi! I applied last cycle. I used my unofficial transcript. I entered the whole name and the number of credit hours. I started from my first semester all the way thru the one I was in! I had no issues! OTCAS will check everything against your official transcript once you submit them both
Thank you so much!

Hey! I still haven’t submitted to get verified but I choose to put mines in manually. I heard the professional one could take up to 2 weeks to complete and more, so I didn’t want to take the chance of delaying my application. I talked to previous students who were recently admitted and they advised me to put in the whole course name, not abbreviations.
Great, thanks so much!

I utilized my spare official scripts for the transcription. Although, I figure that an unofficial transcript has all the info. but just isn't "officially sealed". I wrote the classes EXACTLY as given, even when it cut off or abbreviated itself. All my stuff got verified np. Took me maybe 30 mins. tops, since I had to input for 4 schools. haha
Great! Thanks for your help :)

I have another question for you all! I am applying to one school that does not look into the personal statement portion of the application, while the others do. Is it possible to submit the app for that one school without submitting a personal essay? If not, could I submit my personal statement to that one school and still make changes to it after?

Is this school in the OTCAS system? I don't think you can change the personal statement once it is in. You can turn in your PS to all the schools, just that one particular school won't take it into consideration. If it is an independent school, then everything is separate anyways.

I just submitted to two schools today! Hoping for quick verification!

I submitted my application last week and unfortunately made the mistake by doing the professional transcript entry. It is still in progress for completing that part, but y deadline for a complete status app is Oct 1st! I am worried it won't be completed by then :/ Anybody have any words of wisdom or hope for me lol

They do transcript entry on weekends!! I messed up on mine last year and forgot 1 transcript from a school I attended for a semester 10 years ago, and they emailed me on a Saturday to get it fixed. I think it will be done before the 1st, assuming all of your transcripts have already been sent to OTCAS. Good luck!
yes all my transcript (i only have one) are in so hopefully it will be done soon! thank you

I submitted Monday night at 8:21pm and everything was verified at 4:00am this morning (Thursday). I had NINE transcripts and 147 hours of undergrad coursework...so I think that was pretty quick!

Does anyone know if you can submit your application before you receive a transcript?
I called OTCAS and they told me I could but I just wanted to see if anyone has done that.
I'm really nervous. I have an application due on October 1st. And I just realized we have to send transcripts even from dual enrollment courses we took in high school. I just really hope everything gets there and verified by then.
What do y'all think?!

Okay so update on my first mess of an application. I forgot I took a dual credit course in high school so I need to send my transcript from that university. I also made the mistake of doing professional transcript entry which is why I didn't catch the transfer credit. My first deadline is October 1st but I just need my application in the "complete" status. So I need to request the transcript to be sent and then have it arrive at OTCAS and also have professional transcript entry be completed. Do you think I'll make the deadline :,(

Depends, is your school sending the transcript electronically? If so it will get there same day. If they are sending it by mail it will take longer. If you have to, go pick up the official transcript from school and pay to have it mailed next day or same day delivery. It shows on OTCAS if they received the transcript or not. After that you will have a better idea of whether or not you will make your deadline.
I believe I can send the transcript electronically. It is through Purdue University so I would think they would send OTCAS acceptable electronic transcripts. Unfortunately, I already submitted my application!!! I cannot add this new university to my academic information... I do not know what to do about that.

Yes you can go ahead and submit your application. If you paid for professional transcript entry that takes time as well. They will enter them as soon as the transcripts arrive, and once that is done your application will be verified and sent to the schools that you paid the application fee for.
Thank you so much!!!

Hey guys! I just submitted my application last week on 10/10. Does anybody know if they are currently verifying applications quickly? Just thought I would ask! Thanks in advance :)

Hey guys! I just submitted my application last week on 10/10. Does anybody know if they are currently verifying applications quickly? Just thought I would ask! Thanks in advance :)
I submitted mine last week and it took 2-3 days for them to verify!