Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
During my stint in the military I broke my left scaphoid as the result of a fall. I originally thought that it was just sprained and went on with life. Well about 2 years later it started to bother me more as a result of physical activity. After being evauluated it was determined that I had a fracture to my left scaphoid. A screw was inserted along with a bone graft to stimulate healing of the bone. The graft never took and the doc told me that eventually I would probably need to have my wrist fused as the scaphoid broke down and the wrist joint became arthritic.
This all took place ~10 years ago and I am now starting dental school this fall. The question is, have any of you heard of other possibilities that don't involve the fusing of my wrist? I have asked several dentists about the impact of having my wrist fused, but since it is my off hand they all thought that it wouldn't be a problem. Since the off hand mostly is ised for holding a mirror. But at 31 my wrist has been starting to bother me, popping and soreness, and I would really rather not have to get my wrist fused if at all possible. I do have an appt. to get a review of my wrist and new x-rays in 2 months but the "not-knowing" what my possibilities are is driving me crazy.
Thanks.
This all took place ~10 years ago and I am now starting dental school this fall. The question is, have any of you heard of other possibilities that don't involve the fusing of my wrist? I have asked several dentists about the impact of having my wrist fused, but since it is my off hand they all thought that it wouldn't be a problem. Since the off hand mostly is ised for holding a mirror. But at 31 my wrist has been starting to bother me, popping and soreness, and I would really rather not have to get my wrist fused if at all possible. I do have an appt. to get a review of my wrist and new x-rays in 2 months but the "not-knowing" what my possibilities are is driving me crazy.
Thanks.