other programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coleman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
While everyone is waiting and deciding on ROL etc, could you all give input on any of the following programs? The stuff so far has been really helpful, thanks.

George Washington University
Maine Medical
Boston Med (Boston Univ)
Northwestern
University Chicago - Lutheran
University Illinois - Chicago
Wake Forrest
Univ North Carolina
SUNY-Downstate

I don't remember seeing many posts on any of these programs.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought UNC was a top-notch program, will be at the top of my list. The attendings and residents are very happy with the program...they're a laid-back and friendly group.
You spend half your time at UNC, located in Chapel Hill, NC. They are the state hospital for NC, so you will see lots of underserved patients from all throughout NC. You?ll also see lots of residents from the local area and UNC college/grad students. UNC is a major academic medical center so you?ll see tons of very complicated patients; their acuity (admissions and ICU rates) are higher than most academic medical centers.. It?s also a busy Level I trauma center. You spend the other half your time (both ED and off-service) at WakeMed, a very busy (100,000+ ED visits/year), Level II, community-type hospital that several other UNC residents rotate through, which is located 45 minutes away in Raleigh, NC. WakeMed?s ED has three bays, of which two attendings work independently and in one a resident works one-on-one with an attending. If something interesting is happening in another bay or if there is a good procedure, they?ll page the resident to participate. WakeMed is a great experience to see what it?s like to work in a ?community? setting with a busy, efficient, fee-for-service group. You?ll do most of your Peds at WakeMed, as they are a very busy Peds ED with >40,000 visits/year. Most EM residents prefer their time at WakeMed. No night shifts at Wake. Trauma experience is generally integrated within the normal ED shifts at both sites.
The leadership is great, with program director Dr. Vissers very into each of the residents developing their own niche in EM and having a balanced lifestyle. Chair Dr. Tinitinalli is one of the most known names in EM and is very involved with the program.
The area seems very nice with lots to do, excellent weather, and affordable housing (almost all the residents have their own home).
Main drawbacks are the 45 minute distance between UNC and WakeMed (most residents live roughly in between in Durham) and the ultrasound experience which is really just getting off the ground.
It's a small program (8 residents per class) and still relatively new, but I think it's well positioned to become one of the top 1,2,3 programs in the country. The balanced 50/50 split between UNC and WakeMed is ideal for giving you the proper exposure to deciding between an academic and community setting.

I would have to agree UNC is a top program, they didn't offer me an interview (and I had a lot of great interviews at competitive places.)

So I'll tell you about the one I do know about, and that's Maine. It'll be about halfway down my rank list, only because I've got some great places on my rank list, not becuase I think the program sucks. I could be perfectly happy at Maine. It is a small program, 6 residents per year, and they're close and pretty cool. They love the outdoors, since Portland isn't much of a town. It is two hours from Boston, however, if you're into city things. The faculty seems to really care about the residents, but they're not "big name" people. The physical plant is pretty good and the curriculum is pretty average. Getting interviews there is difficult because the coast of Maine is a gorgeous place to live. The people at the residency and in Portland are pretty homogenously caucasian New England, but the residency does draw people from all over the country, and send people all over the country, they're just all white. Don't go there to polish up on your Spanish. Overall, I wouldn't put it in a category with Harbor, Hennepin, Indiana, UNC kind of programs, but maybe in the next tier, with programs such as Oregon, Maricopa etc. I was certainly glad I went out there to interview.