Other Work Experience - Time2Track

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mypointlesspov

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would be considered other work experience for this category? For example, I did ABA on the side for about 5 hours per week during the first two years of my doc program. I tried to get this considered a sanctioned practicum experience, but due to an unexpected loss in our department I was unable to do this. I also did ABA during the my last year of undergrad. I also worked on a research project on the side with another department at my university during the first two years of my program. The project responsibilities were to administer a selection of psychological and SLP tests to families (e.g. WASI, WJ reading subtests, CELF, CASL, CTOPP). I was told that this also did not count as a practicum because it wasn't supervised by a licensed psychologist.

I've asked my DCT and I can't get a clear answer. Does anyone have experience using this specific category? Unfortunately, the help resources that appear when you change the activity level on T2T are dead links.

Members don't see this ad.

What would be considered other work experience for this category? For example, I did ABA on the side for about 5 hours per week during the first two years of my doc program. I tried to get this considered a sanctioned practicum experience, but due to an unexpected loss in our department I was unable to do this.

I fit wasn't explicitly sanctioned by your program, it probably won't count. The APA now requires your program to verify your hours when you apply for internship and it's unlikely your program will verify hours they didn't previously sanction.

I also did ABA during the my last year of undergrad.

Experience from undergrad definitely won't count.

I also worked on a research project on the side with another department at my university during the first two years of my program. The project responsibilities were to administer a selection of psychological and SLP tests to families (e.g. WASI, WJ reading subtests, CELF, CASL, CTOPP). I was told that this also did not count as a practicum because it wasn't supervised by a licensed psychologist.

You can count face-to-face intervention and therapy hours performed as part of research, but they are separate categories distinct from regular practicum hours. The problem in your case is that you didn't receive supervision for them. Thus, I'm skeptical that you will be able to count them. Even if you were allowed to count them, it might not be a good idea to try to claim them, as it might not look good to count clinical experience for which you didn't receive some form of supervision. Supervision is incredibly important.

Reactions: 1 user
I fit wasn't explicitly sanctioned by your program, it probably won't count. The APA now requires your program to verify your hours when you apply for internship and it's unlikely your program will verify hours they didn't previously sanction.

Experience from undergrad definitely won't count.

You can count face-to-face intervention and therapy hours performed as part of research, but they are separate categories distinct from regular practicum hours. The problem in your case is that you didn't receive supervision for them. Thus, I'm skeptical that you will be able to count them. Even if you were allowed to count them, it might not be a good idea to try to claim them, as it might not look good to count clinical experience for which you didn't receive some form of supervision. Supervision is incredibly important.

Thanks for your response! I really needed clarification because of all of mixed messages I've been getting. Some people who worked on the research project with me were counting them, but I didn't want to go back through and add everything unless I was sure. Another student also asked if I was counting my ABA hours and if she could do the same if she got an ABA job and I was like "Uhhhhhhhh....."

Would these be experiences to discuss in the qualitative section of the AAPI? They're also on my CV.

I had over 1,000 hours of clinically-related work before and during my grad program but it was not part of practicum/externship and not direct clinical work supervised by a psychologist, so the hours weren't on my Time2track hours at all and weren't part of the hours for AAPI either. It's been a few years, but my app had a section in which you had a text box in which you could describe "Non-Practicum Clinical Work Experience" (that didn't have hours represented anywhere on the app). In it, I mentioned my outside clinical-ish work, the years employed, and my duties. Not a single site ever mentioned that work experience, so truth be told, they don't seem to care about it if it doesn't contribute to your hours, at least in my experience. Unless it hits on a specialty population/site type you're seeking to work with/at, perhaps...and you have reason to bring it up in interviews.

But long story short, leave it on your CV and talk about it in interviews only if the work experience exactly matched the site you're applying to or the same highly specialized population. Otherwise, it's not seen as relevant for internship purposes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user