OTR or OTA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Houston6000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at a bit of a cross roads. I have a BS in Psychology and have completed the prereq's for OT, but I'm not quite sure if that is the route I want to go. OT school is very expensive and I have about 40,000 debt from Undergrad. There is an OTA school that offers a certificate in a yr. that sounds very appealing. Does anyone have any input on the subject? Are there any schools in TX that are relatively low? I've looked up tuition for the schools and UTMB in Galveston seems relatively inexpensive in comparison with others but idk. I don't want to end up with 80,000 in debt for school. I'm looking to apply to schools as early as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Do some volunteering with OTs and ask about the differences between OTs and OTAs. Texas has a large number of low cost schools. Living expenses would be a factor. Unless you would be living with family in Houston, I'd suggest trying UT Pan American or Texas Tech for low cost of living areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently graduated from UTMB and the tuition is cheap compared to other OT schools. They also have tons of scholarships and grants that you can apply for. The cost of living is also much cheaper compared to Houston. On-campus housing is pretty cheap (averages $400 a month for cable, electricity, and internet).

Thank you. I looked at the calculator & yes in the long run OT pays off. The OT I work with said COTA isn't a bad route. You work with patients without having to do evaluations. I don't have any family in Houston. I'm from Dallas area. I'm aware that twu is located nearby in Denton (1.5 yrs away) but my stats aren't exactly up to par with that school. & honestly, I'd rather stay in Houston for time being. I'm currently trying to finish up my volunteer hours. Right now I have about 40hours in 3 different settings. Going to school & working full time didn't leave much time to do observation. My goal is atleast 100 hours by the end of August. New OTR, do you mind sharing your stats? I have all preqs for UTMB's program complete. I actually went to a infirmation session at UTMB earlier this year.

From what I've seen the OT schools in Texas are pretty inexpensive in-state and even for out-of-state people. Cost of living while in school would be a bigger factor. Houston and Dallas would be the most expensive places to live.

TWU-Dallas or Houston are actually more suitable for people who have a bachelor's already. Denton is for people looking for combined bachelor-master's.

Yes, I stand corrected Denton is defiantly a combined program. I'm not even looking at TWU, I heard that the cut off gpa for interviews was a 3.5. My aim is either UTMB or San Antonio.

When I emailed TWU and told them how low my undergraduate GPA was, (2.67, but I've got a masters and took prereqs recently) they said I should apply anyways.

Hmmm, sounds like their just looking to get app fees.(That's on my mind because San Antonio's app fee is a whopping $60!!!!)However, TWU's website clearly states you must have a 3.0, and even with that you're notvery competitive. I emailed them, told them my gpa asking if I should apply.Her answer was a polite no. Now I kinda wondering if I should just try it out... but I'm almost sure that if your gpa isn't a 3.5+ they disregrad your app, no interview!

I also told them that I went to Rice in the 1990's and majored in engineering with the 2.67. At least Texas schools are aware of Rice's reputation. And a D in Assembly Language Programming or Junior Physics lab doesn't necessarily mean I don't have the skills for an OT degree.

My masters degree was a 3.8, and my pre-requisite GPA is about the same. My cumulative GPA is about a 3.0.