Ottawa Faculty Of Medicine - Ottawa Canada.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kornphan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview at this school. Anyone on here that has interviewed at this school or know anything about it ?. Thanks in advance.

korn

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by kornphan:
•I have an interview at this school. Anyone on here that has interviewed at this school or know anything about it ?. Thanks in advance.

korn•••••Check out interviewfeedback.com. When is your interview? I'll be there on Apr. 10th... best of luck

It doesn't require the Mcat, thats all I know

Members don't see this ad :)
For A Canadian, your GPA needs to be at least 3.8
My friend goes there, it's a group interview.
And you can take your classes in French.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by xrayray17:
•For A Canadian, your GPA needs to be at least 3.8
My friend goes there, it's a group interview.
And you can take your classes in French.•••••It's "group" in that there's more than one interviewer (but you're the only student being interviewed, unlike at McMaster).

Thank You all for your replies, say I get in then is it a 'bad' choice comoared to the Carib schools ?.. I hear that it will be very difficult for me to go to US in the futire and practice as Canada does not gives USMLE's and US will require that before you can get a licence here ?.. going to the Carabie schools, you do take the USMLE's. Any thoughts ?.. (For all I know, I might not come back to the US to practise.. but just a thought)... Thanks

korn

Can can write the USMLE if you study in a Canadian school. Ottawa is an excellent school, but is very competative. They do like you to speak french though, so if you don't you might want to look elsewhere.

There is no comparison between this school and a caribbean one in terms of reputation. Your ability to obtain a good residency and or job in the US will be significantly improved by attending a Canadian school,not to mention the difference in opportunities you will have in Canada.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by kornphan:
•Thank You all for your replies, say I get in then is it a 'bad' choice comoared to the Carib schools ?.. •••••First of all, congratulations on getting an interview. The cutoff WGPA for out of province students was 3.89 last year i believe.

You've got to be kidding me about the caribbean schools though! You cannot even compare Ottawa U with any of the Caribbean schools. You can take the USMLEs out of Canada if you want to no problem if you want to practice in the states. YOu will have 100x the respect out of OU than out of any carribean schools. I believe the Gourman report gives Ottawa (and all schools in Canada) strong-very strong marks. Tuition... I'm not sure actually if you're not Canadian, but I can assure you it's under 20 grand us. I'm pretty sure it's less than any carribean schools. If you're canadian it only comes out to like 8 grand US a year.

Why is it that americans still believe Canada is a second class country? We have the second highest quality of life in the world for god's sakes (the US is fourth)!

GO CANADA GO!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:cool:

plus you can get by just fine if you don't speak any french, since the french meds classes are separate from the english ones :)

well said bad hombre, not to mention the World's best Mens and Womens hockey teams!!!!!!!!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by nyskindr:
•There is no comparison between this school and a caribbean one in terms of reputation. Your ability to obtain a good residency and or job in the US will be significantly improved by attending a Canadian school,not to mention the difference in opportunities you will have in Canada.•••••I second the opinions here.

There are two sources you ought to get:

1) The Medical School Admissions Requirement published by AAMC every year and it will tell you that Canadian and American med schools are accredited by the same governing body (LCME or something like Liason ?... medical education)). so you will not be considered a "foreign" medical grad. The concern that people have about graduating from Canadian med school is from Canadian citizens who need working visa (and all the hassle) to work in the US as residents. As an American, you have no such hassle at all!

2) ask the 20ish American students who flock to McGill every year and see if they are concerned about going back to USA.