OU vs Notre Dame

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blackhawkdown24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did y'all see that??????

Members don't see this ad.

I'm more flabbergasted by USC/Arizona. How did that happen?

Members don't see this ad :)
YYYEEEAAAAHHHH BUUOOOYYYY!!!

Irish are 8-0! On their way to play for the national championship!!!!!!

YYYEEEAAAAHHHH BUUOOOYYYY!!!

Irish are 8-0! On their way to play for the national championship!!!!!!

I wish they need Oregon and Kansas State to lose for that to happen. Even if Alabama loses in SEC championship game a 1 loss Sec team will go over them. I want the Irish in the BCS title game but very unlikely.

Mannnnn this is all messed up! Haha @ Florida! The Crimson Tide is going to win it all....again.

Oregon is not losing. Did you see what happened w/Colorado? 56 - 0 at the half.

I wish they need Oregon and Kansas State to lose for that to happen. Even if Alabama loses in SEC championship game a 1 loss Sec team will go over them. I want the Irish in the BCS title game but very unlikely.

False, if Oregon and ND win out, ND's strength of schedule will put them ahead of Oregon. Watch, I bet come the new BCS rankings, ND will move ahead of Oregon already. And K-state will lose, just watch..

And there's NO WAY a 1-loss team would go ahead of an undefeated Notre Dame team. Before the season, everyone agreed ND had the toughest schedule in the country.

False, if Oregon and ND win out, ND's strength of schedule will put them ahead of Oregon. Watch, I bet come the new BCS rankings, ND will move ahead of Oregon already. And K-state will lose, just watch..

I think you grossly underestimate the Pac-10. The Big 10 (teams Notre Dame has played, I know they aren't Big 10) and Pac 10 are basically of the same caliber, except the Pac-10 gets crap for being out west. Remember that Oregon State beat BYU as well, and we know who's gonna win Oregon vs Oregon State.

I don't mean to be the negative nancy here, I just don't think it's as clear cut as you think.

I think you grossly underestimate the Pac-10. The Big 10 (teams Notre Dame has played, I know they aren't Big 10) and Pac 10 are basically of the same caliber, except the Pac-10 gets crap for being out west. Remember that Oregon State beat BYU as well, and we know who's gonna win Oregon vs Oregon State.

I don't mean to be the negative nancy here, I just don't think it's as clear cut as you think.

All I can say is that if you know the way people in college football think (and like $$$), there is NO WAY that an undefeated Notre Dame is kept out of the national championship game.

Oh and to make this thread medically-related, how many people who attend med schools on undergrad university campuses find that they become immersed in the sports of that undergrad university? Do you attend games, etc.. ? What if your med school is a rival of your undergrad?

And there's NO WAY a 1-loss team would go ahead of an undefeated Notre Dame team. Before the season, everyone agreed ND had the toughest schedule in the country.

Not true everyone agrees ND had the Hardest schedule outside of the SEC. I guarantee that a SEC team will be in the BCS title game. 4 of the top 10 Teams are SEC teams. Strength of schedule for any team in that conference far exceeds any other school. Don't think I'm not rooting for ND, It would be amazing if they made it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not true everyone agrees ND had the Hardest schedule outside of the SEC. I guarantee that a SEC team will be in the BCS title game. 4 of the top 10 Teams are SEC teams. Strength of schedule for any team in that conference far exceeds any other school. Don't think I'm not rooting for ND, It would be amazing if they made it.

No I agree. I think if ND wins out it'll be Bama vs ND.

wat...Oregon has a better shot than ND.

ND will have more quality wins than Oregon if both team go undefeated.

Oregon's only wins against ranked opponents that ND hadn't beaten would be Washington, Arizona, and Oregon St.
ND would've beaten Mich, Mich St, & Oklahoma. ALso, ND would've beaten more quality unranked opponents than Oregon.

Also, the "Notre Dame" brand would be enough to overtake Oregon in the polls by the end of the season if both are undefeated.

I want ND but if Oregon wins out against USC, Oregon ST, Cal and Stanford(3ranked top 25 2 top 10) they will go over ND.

ND will have more quality wins than Oregon if both team go undefeated.

Oregon's only wins against ranked opponents that ND hadn't beaten would be Washington, Arizona, and Oregon St.
ND would've beaten Mich, Mich St, & Oklahoma. ALso, ND would've beaten more quality unranked opponents than Oregon.

Ok, true, but Oregon's offense is still fast paced and really strong, which is good against "SEC Defense". I haven't seen too many ND games, so my opinion doesn't take that into account. I really wish florida didn't lose because I thought they were the best chance at beating alabama. I would love to see another team besides alabama win, but I think they're going to repeat. sadly.

Ok, true, but Oregon's offense is still fast paced and really strong, which is good against "SEC Defense". I haven't seen too many ND games, so my opinion doesn't take that into account. I really wish florida didn't lose because I thought they were the best chance at beating alabama. I would love to see another team besides alabama win, but I think they're going to repeat. sadly.

If we're talking subjective opinions on who the poll people want to see in the championship game, again the "Notre Dame" brand cannot be underestimated

We've seen the Michigan - Alabama game, and we've seen the Michigan - Notre Dame game. The outcomes of those games will weigh heavily on wheather ND goes to the championship.

But so will $$$... which Nike University also has. Hmmm.... this will get interesting.

If ND wins out, they would've also have beaten USC and Stanford.

Yes but Oregon State is the stand out here another potential BCS title game team if they win out. A win over another undefeated team means a lot more in terms of voting later in the season. ND will not go over undefeated auto bids. They will be another Boise.

Yes but Oregon State is the stand out here another potential BCS title game team if they win out. A win over another undefeated team means a lot more in terms of voting later in the season. ND will not go over undefeated auto bids. They will be another Boise.

Again, I think you are underestimating how much "$$$" matters here. Not saying it should be this way, but "The Notre Dame" brand is something that cannot be underestimated.

Btw:

Oregon State 7, Washington 10 3rd Quarter

We might wanna watch.

Again, I think you are underestimating how much "$$$" matters here. Not saying it should be this way, but "The Notre Dame" brand is something that cannot be underestimated.

:thumbup: Wanna know how Michigan got into the sugar bowl last year?

I don't think you understand the BCS system. Coaches vote on the teams in the Bowl game. Independent schools do not go over major conference schools. They will not get the votes. its why the computers have ND as 2 but the coaches have them 5.

haha wow, thanks for pointing that out. if OSt loses, that could be a huge plus for ND's chances.

Now this could get them in Oregon st loss tonight coupled with them beating Oregon gets ND in, granted K-state screws up.

I don't think you understand the BCS system. Coaches vote on the teams in the Bowl game. Independent schools do not go over major conference schools. They will not get the votes. its why the computers have ND as 2 but the coaches have them 5.

I'm pretty sure the top 2 teams in the BCS rankings at the end of the season (determined by both polls and computers) automatically play for the national championship. The rest of the bowls may involve some voting and selection, I'm not sure.

Yes they do but the voting is what matters most. Last year alabama was 4 in the computers but voted in to the BCS title game by the other coaches even though they had already lost to the team they would play (LSU). The voting is what matters.

Debatable

Darn... Huskies suck, 10 - 16 Washington

Not related to ND. I've got something personal with UWashington.

Last edited:
wat...Oregon has a better shot than ND.

They'll prolly lose to USC, either when they play them, or at the Pac-12 title game

As long as someone other than a SEC team wins the national championship this year, that would be awesome.

They'll prolly lose to USC, either when they play them, or at the Pac-12 title game

As long as someone other than a SEC team wins the national championship this year, that would be awesome.

:laugh: USC has been an overrated disappointment. Remember when they were No. 1 in the nation? And today they lost to Rich Rodriguez.

That was shocking, but Arizona isn't too bad of a team. USC is pretty overrated though, I'll agree.

BUT, I think Oregon is gonna lose 1 game. They still have stanford, Oregon State, USC. They'll blow one of those games.

Oregon State is much more overrated than USC. :p

I'm going to play devil's advocate a bit. Everyone agreed that ND's schedule was the hardest outside the SEC at the beginning of the season. That does not hold anymore.
Breaking down their wins thus far:
Lower: quality wins: Navy, Purdue, Miami
Middle: MSU, BYU
Higher: Michigan, Stanford, OU

Oklahoma was a signature win that will do wonders to their resume, but the other games weren't really that tough. Very few people were expecting the BigTen to be as bad as it is and considered MSU and UM to be ~top 10 teams (neither of which will be in the top 25 after this week.) Stanford is a great team when they're playing good, but they're not consistent. Also, I personally believe (as well as many of the human voters) that Taylor reached the endzone on the final play of OT. That game could have easily gone the other way. Their win over BYU was ugly to say the least. They needed a forth quarter surge to put them away.

I watched most of the OU game, and I will say that ND looked good tonight. However, the simple truth is that Oregon and Alabama are completely dominating the competition on both sides of the ball. Oregon has yet to play a high quality opponent, but I'm confident that once the season plays itself out and if they are undefeated in the regular season and win the Pac12 championship game, they will get a lot more love from the computers than they are currently getting. The losses of USC and Oregon St. this week will hurt their SoS though.

Why oh why can't we have the playoff system yet?
Bama (1) vs ND (4)
Oregon (2) vs KState (3)

I'm going to play devil's advocate a bit. Everyone agreed that ND's schedule was the hardest outside the SEC at the beginning of the season. That does not hold anymore.
Breaking down their wins thus far:
Lower: quality wins: Navy, Purdue, Miami
Middle: MSU, BYU
Higher: Michigan, Stanford, OU

Oklahoma was a signature win that will do wonders to their resume, but the other games weren't really that tough. Very few people were expecting the BigTen to be as bad as it is and considered MSU and UM to be ~top 10 teams (neither of which will be in the top 25 after this week.) Stanford is a great team when they're playing good, but they're not consistent. Also, I personally believe (as well as many of the human voters) that Taylor reached the endzone on the final play of OT. That game could have easily gone the other way. Their win over BYU was ugly to say the least. They needed a forth quarter surge to put them away.

I watched most of the OU game, and I will say that ND looked good tonight. However, the simple truth is that Oregon and Alabama are completely dominating the competition on both sides of the ball. Oregon has yet to play a high quality opponent, but I'm confident that once the season plays itself out and if they are undefeated in the regular season and win the Pac12 championship game, they will get a lot more love from the computers than they are currently getting. The losses of USC and Oregon St. this week will hurt their SoS though.

Why oh why can't we have the playoff system yet?
Bama (1) vs ND (4)
Oregon (2) vs KState (3)

Michigan really is a middle team in your break down.

A playoff would be awesome, they should have done it this year. 2014 is too far away :mad:

Michigan really is a middle team in your break down.

It was more of a relative grouping than an absolute. Right though, Michigan is not nearly as good as once thought. By the time the regular season is over, ND's opponents ranked in the BCS top 25 could very likely be only OU and USC. Pitt, BC, and Wake should be cupcake games for ND, but you never know for sure.

ND is a good team but they will be ***ch slapped by Tide if they meed for NC.

Not related to ND. I've got something personal with UWashington.

Sorry about To$h, but I have a feeling you guys might get us back if Tedford is canned...I think Justin Wilcox is ready for head coaching and Cal would be a potential landing spot for him. Anyhow, looking forward to the game Friday night!

As for that Pitt-Irish game...I'm not feeling quite as enthusiastic.

Watching the game live on TV and seeing instant replay, I can tell you that the two OU touchdowns that were recalled were legit. Holding? Please. He was pushed with a shoulder, not a hand. ND's best players last night were the refs.

Watching the game live on TV and seeing instant replay, I can tell you that the two OU touchdowns that were recalled were legit. Holding? Please. He was pushed with a shoulder, not a hand. ND's best players last night were the refs.

False. Notre Dame's best player was Te'o. The man should count as 2 players. ND should be forced to play 10 guys on defense.

Also, ND's win against Michigan is a good win. It's not a stellar win, but it's a good win. I am a Michigan fan, and I am comfortable with the fact that our team this year is not as good as it was last year (losing Molk, Koger, etc). We were waaaay overrated in the preseason (#8?!) and got our butts kicked by better programs (ND, Bama).

And I must pout about our loss last night: The loss to Nebraska was on account that we lost our Robinson QB (68% of the team's total offensive yards) and replaced him with an unathletic FR(RS). The 2nd stringer essentially took a dump in his breeches--went 3 for 16 for 38 yards with 0 TD's and 3 INTs.

False. Notre Dame's best player was Te'o. The man should count as 2 players. ND should be forced to play 10 guys on defense.

I don't know. I know I may be biased, but the past few games have had some very close calls for ND. I'm surprised they've gotten this far, even with the teams they've been playing.

I don't know. I know I may be biased, but the past few games have had some very close calls for ND. I'm surprised they've gotten this far, even with the teams they've been playing.

This is why the were ranked lower than most of the other undefeated teams in the human polls despite their "excruciating" schedule. It will be interesting where they'll stand this week though.

This is why the were ranked lower than most of the other undefeated teams in the human polls despite their "excruciating" schedule. It will be interesting where they'll stand this week though.

The problem is, they had a "defining" win against OU, giving them better NC chances. But the final score doesn't take into account that it should have been 30-27 at least.

The problem is, they had a "defining" win against OU, giving them better NC chances. But the final score doesn't take into account that it should have been 30-27 at least.

That's true, but as others have said, there seems to be a desire amongst the media to have ND be "back." Musburger and Herbstreit were hyping ND really hard last night and it seems that everyone else has followed suit. Everyone seems to have forgotten that they beat Purdue by 3, had to rally in the second half to top BYU, and beat Stanford with the help of a blown call in OT.