OUCOM class of 2011!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amboree

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats Everybody!!!

There aren't many of us around SDN, but I thought this would be a great way to meet the few students that are!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am also in the class of 2011 and can't wait to meet everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in as well, and am so excited! Where is everyone living? I got a tip on a place called Putnam Square apartments, but the Station St. apartments looked cool as well.

I completed my app in September and interviewed in February, so I had to wait a little while.

Hey!
I was thinking of staying at University Courtyard, since it's on campus and I know NOTHING about Ohio.

Is anyone going to PRE-COM March 10th?

Hey all! Ill be there on the 10th. As for housing, carriage hill may be getting a deposit check from me this weekend.

Hey!
I was thinking of staying at University Courtyard, since it's on campus and I know NOTHING about Ohio.

Is anyone going to PRE-COM March 10th?
Congratulations to all of you. I am a third year student at OUCOM and I would not recommend University Courtyard. It is pretty nice, but a long walk since you can't get a parking pass. If you are looking for close go with Station Street.

Is there any such building where most of the med students live? I really would hate to live in a building with bunch of undergrads running around.

I will also be attending PreCOM on the 10th. Anybody know of anything that is within walking distance thats close?

Is there any such building where most of the med students live? I really would hate to live in a building with bunch of undergrads running around.

I would suggest taking a day to look for apts. Seems like, unfortunately, the more expensive places have fewer UGs. Go figure. River Park towers are nice, but the potential to have 4 *******es living next door doesn't sit too well with me. I haven't heard too much about other places. Right now Im leaning toward Carriage Hill. The complex is outside the "golden mile" and from what I saw of the model apt, the accommodations are pretty nice.

I would suggest taking a day to look for apts. Seems like, unfortunately, the more expensive places have fewer UGs. Go figure. River Park towers are nice, but the potential to have 4 *******es living next door doesn't sit too well with me. I haven't heard too much about other places. Right now Im leaning toward Carriage Hill. The complex is outside the "golden mile" and from what I saw of the model apt, the accommodations are pretty nice.

Hey guys,
I am an MS I here and I wanted to say welcome!!! Medschool is hard wherever you end up but what sets OUCOM aside is the respect that they treat you here with. It's a family-like environment and the faculty is really eager to help you and wants to see you succeed. This comfort becomes especcially important during tough times like exams. As far as a place to live, I wanted to tell DPS319 that Carriage Hill is a really good place- the apartments are really nice, it's pretty quiet around here even on the weekends, it's close enough to the school but far enough to get the parking pass. I've lived in Carriage Hill since August and haven't had any issues. Although, I have heard that apartments on top of the hill are better than on the bottom of the hill so when you go to sign your contract, make sure you tell them that you want to be on top of the hill. If you have any questions please post on here or send me a private message, I am on this site pretty frequently. Enjoy your time before medschool.... :thumbup:

Hey everyone.....I interviewed on February 2nd and .....I was sooooo excited to get in. AMboree....I am going to Precom on March 10th....its gonna be sweet

DORoe,
I have been accepted to OUCOM and will be starting in the fall. I see that you do not recommend living at University Courtyard because of the distance, when I looked into it I was told they have a bus to and from campus running every twenty minutes. This being the case, is it still a bad idea to live there? Two things that attracted me to University Courtyard where the fact that utilities were included in the price and that each apartment had a washer and dryer. Do you know if this is the case for other places near campus. Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
When do we start the orientation/anatomy immersion? Im trying to figure out when, exactly, I want to move down.

From what I have seen and been told, it is my understanding that we start Aug 1st. Correct me if I am wrong.

Hello everyone. I am an OU alum who found out this Monday that I will be returning to Athens (OUCOM) this August. I can't wait although I bet my experience will be slightly different with a wife and two kiddies. Any other nontrads out there?

BTW, I loved OU and Athens the first time around....

Hey everyone and congrats on the acceptances!!!

First of all, PLEASE don't let this class thread die. C/O 2010's died before things got rolling in August and it'd be nice to have some OUCOM representation on SDN other than the few of us here.

Second, enjoy your summer!!! I know that it has already been said, but it is truth. It's good to be on top of things, but don't forget to have fun.

Lastly, come to PreCOM if you can; either the March session or the April session. It's always worth having all of the info you can, and it's also a great way to meet your classmates and get to know us 1st years.

Enjoy the last vestiges of freedom, Med school is work, but it is fun and there a lot of opportunities to have a life.

I would recommend

Last edited:
DORoe,
I have been accepted to OUCOM and will be starting in the fall. I see that you do not recommend living at University Courtyard because of the distance, when I looked into it I was told they have a bus to and from campus running every twenty minutes. This being the case, is it still a bad idea to live there? Two things that attracted me to University Courtyard where the fact that utilities were included in the price and that each apartment had a washer and dryer. Do you know if this is the case for other places near campus. Thank you for your help!
sorry it took so long to reply. Courtyard certainly is a very nice place to live. I don't want to give that impression at all. It just seemed like it was a bit of an issue to have to rely on the bus service to get back and forth. Like anything you have to weigh the pro's and con's.

Hi all!

I will be at PRECOM next Saturday, too. I can't wait to meet everybody!

Question for those of you familiar with Athens...

What is your opinion of College Park Condos?

I will also be in Athens for Pre-COM, and I'll be staying for an extra day to do look at apartments. Anyone have a heads up on places that allow dogs? I've only been able to find a couple and I would really like a bigger selection to choose from.

I will also be in Athens for Pre-COM, and I'll be staying for an extra day to do look at apartments. Anyone have a heads up on places that allow dogs? I've only been able to find a couple and I would really like a bigger selection to choose from.

I looked at a few places which allowed pets. PM me if you would like addresses and phone numbers.

There has to be more people going on Saturday. Where are you at? **Bump**

Hello everyone. I am an OU alum who found out this Monday that I will be returning to Athens (OUCOM) this August. I can't wait although I bet my experience will be slightly different with a wife and two kiddies. Any other nontrads out there?

BTW, I loved OU and Athens the first time around....

One kiddie for me :love: how old are yours?

Three year old girl and a one year old boy......Should be interesting.

Three year old girl and a one year old boy......Should be interesting.
My boy will turn 5 in August. ( OMG! i can't believe it:eek: )
they say public schools are really nice there!:)

When we lived in Athens my wife was an elementary school teacher. Alexander Local Schools (in the Albany area) is a very good school system. Excellent facilities and good teachers. Although many of the local school systems are pretty good.

Did anyone see/hear about the annual TACKLE flag football game between the first and second years? I guess it gets pretty rough, and is super-competetive, and I think that the first years beat the second years last year.

There was even an action shot of the game in one of OU's quarterly magazines...it was crazy, the pic shows this guy bandana, under eye black paint, and those arm bands athletes wear around their elbows....looks intense, and whats more is that several players had to go the Emergency Room! because of fractures and stuff..

I think I want to play next year, but I'm not so sure about risking injury...
any other guys out there think they're going to play in it?

When we lived in Athens my wife was an elementary school teacher. Alexander Local Schools (in the Albany area) is a very good school system. Excellent facilities and good teachers. Although many of the local school systems are pretty good.

thank you !:)
I was actually thinking about buying a house close to OU-COM. The little one just absolutely has to have his room decorated in "space-rocket-night sky" theme ( in fact he is sleeping with a can of "glow in the dark" paint under his pillow right now :sleep: ) i don't think that "decoration" will go well in a rental place :)
Did anyone else research buying versus renting option ?

Did anyone see/hear about the annual TACKLE flag football game between the first and second years? I guess it gets pretty rough, and is super-competetive, and I think that the first years beat the second years last year.

There was even an action shot of the game in one of OU's quarterly magazines...it was crazy, the pic shows this guy bandana, under eye black paint, and those arm bands athletes wear around their elbows....looks intense, and whats more is that several players had to go the Emergency Room! because of fractures and stuff..

I think I want to play next year, but I'm not so sure about risking injury...
any other guys out there think they're going to play in it?

Im in

thank you !:)
I was actually thinking about buying a house close to OU-COM. The little one just absolutely has to have his room decorated in "space-rocket-night sky" theme ( in fact he is sleeping with a can of "glow in the dark" paint under his pillow right now :sleep: ) i don't think that "decoration" will go well in a rental place :)
Did anyone else research buying versus renting option ?
I owned my house in Athens. It was a mobile home that I bought off of an outgoing second year. Worked out very well and saved me lots of $.

I owned my house in Athens. It was a mobile home that I bought off of an outgoing second year. Worked out very well and saved me lots of $.

thank you :)

I think PreCOM was pretty cool :thumbup: except the rain on the way to the Baker hall :D
did anyone decide what track you will choose?

hmm.. I'm thinking PCC. anyone else?:luck:

1st: Either track is great... although I am a little partial to CPC :)

2nd: The guy with the bandana and the armband in the picture is actually one of the nicest guys. And yes, we won the game, we did have several shoulder relocations, and we DO plan on winning this year... so don't get your hopes up there newbies! ;-)

Respiratory is OVER... SPRING BREAK!!!!

Does anyone remember what they said at the presentation about the scholarship essays. For some reason I'm convinced I heard them say it could be in bullet format, and the max is 100 words, so I might be right. Is this true or did I imagine it?

She said to keep it short and did suggest bullet form.

Congrats to all the new OUCOMers! I am currently a third year at OUCOM as well as DORoe. I think you all will be very happy at OUCOM. I lived at University Courtyard my first year and I walked every day without problems. Also, DORoe and I were both PCC and I would like to throw in a plug for the PCC Curriculum. I know a lot of students are inclined towards the allegedly mroe structured CPC, but the extra patient experience and independent learning you do in PCC really prepares you for your rotations. That said you will most likely be more advanced than your peers when you enter rotations and will have an awesome educational experience regardless of curriculum.

Congrats to all the new OUCOMers! I am currently a third year at OUCOM as well as DORoe. I think you all will be very happy at OUCOM. I lived at University Courtyard my first year and I walked every day without problems. Also, DORoe and I were both PCC and I would like to throw in a plug for the PCC Curriculum. I know a lot of students are inclined towards the allegedly mroe structured CPC, but the extra patient experience and independent learning you do in PCC really prepares you for your rotations. That said you will most likely be more advanced than your peers when you enter rotations and will have an awesome educational experience regardless of curriculum.
The man is right. The PCC teaches you how to find information and how to organize your studying to get the most out of your time. I am very glad that I decided to go PCC and could not imagine medical school any other way.

Is PCC geared more towards those who wish to specialize? From the viewbook, it looks like the PCC student will have more opportunities in areas besides GP prior to rotations. Am I making this up, or to us CPC people get the ENT, ortho type stuff in other blocks?

Hey everyone,

I was accepted into the 2011 class back in early march. yea! I'm from cleveland, and i'll be attending pre-com on april 21st. anyone else going?

and has anyone else decided on living at university courtyard? and what made you decide there?

Thanks, can't wait to meet everyone in july

Is PCC geared more towards those who wish to specialize? From the viewbook, it looks like the PCC student will have more opportunities in areas besides GP prior to rotations. Am I making this up, or to us CPC people get the ENT, ortho type stuff in other blocks?
I don't believe the PCC is geared more toward those that want to specialize, but it is true that you get more opportunities to experience a variety of different medical fields during years 1 and 2.