OUCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctortobee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here attending OUCOM or want to attend? Just wondering becuase that is my number one choice and wanted to ask a few questions!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Anybody currently attending or interviewed at this school? I'm wondering whether I should even bother spending the money for interviewing. I got an invitation, but I've already got interviews scheduled for 3 other D.O. schools and one acceptance. If anyone had insight in to how this school ranks as a D.O. school that would be awsome (or how they rank to the other D.O. schools I applied to, see my mdapps). I have to admit I'm a little turned off about the 5 year commitment they want after you graduate. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've applied, but have yet to hear anything back from them. I'm waiting to see how the interviews I have so far go. If I can get accepted to any school I'll probably be pulling out my application to OUCOM because of that five year commitment.

I guess the thing to ask yourself is if you want to spend all that time in Ohio!

I've applied, but have yet to hear anything back from them. I'm waiting to see how the interviews I have so far go. If I can get accepted to any school I'll probably be pulling out my application to OUCOM because of that five year commitment.

I guess the thing to ask yourself is if you want to spend all that time in Ohio!

Bingo. If you want to be chained to Ohio for 5 years after graduating, by all means, go for the interview. I wouldn't even bother applying, personally, because I have no interest in committing myself to that state for all those years.

as soon as i read that contract i decided not to apply, thats ridiculous

If you do your residency there in a AOA approved residency then each year of residency counts as 1.5 years of your committment.

If you are already accepted somewhere else and don't care at all about Ohio then don't interview there...let people who want to go to OUCOM have the interview slot.

If you do your residency there in a AOA approved residency then each year of residency counts as 1.5 years of your committment.

If you are already accepted somewhere else and don't care at all about Ohio then don't interview there...let people who want to go to OUCOM have the interview slot.

I doubt I will interview. Ultimately it won't matter. I'll end up going to where I'm most impressed with. I was just hoping to get some info on how the school is to help make my decision.

I think alot of people don't realize that, nor do they realize the volume of the residencies that you could apply to. Less moving costs for those interested in it!!! :)

XD The real question: even bigger than Ohio is if you want to commit to the clusterf*ck that is OU. As an undergrad there, I think they have great teachers but their staff leaves much to be desired.

If you enjoy rioting on Halloween, by all means: do not delay.

XD The real question: even bigger than Ohio is if you want to commit to the clusterf*ck that is OU. As an undergrad there, I think they have great teachers but their staff leaves much to be desired.

That actually sounds pretty fun.

Do they burn furniture in their yards in whatever city OUCOM is in after the best player ever to wear a college football uniform comes to town and tears the heart out of their football team? Because that's what they do in Columbus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they burn furniture in their yards in whatever city OUCOM is in after the best player ever to wear a college football uniform comes to town and tears the heart out of their football team? Because that's what they do in Columbus.

well played, my fellow VY worshipper...:D

So in what way is undergrad the same as the med school because i've heard nothing but good things!

So in what way is undergrad the same as the med school because i've heard nothing but good things!

about undergrad? I'm at one of their regional campuses and I would never consider going to athens. Most of the people I know who go grow to hate it. I don't think I could go because athens is so secluded and such a "college" atmosphere (as opposed to Columbus where there's a campus and then you can get away and go out into the city) that I would get caught up in it and never get anything done.

They have a program where pre-meds can research and stuff over the summer, but I doubt I would get in because it's for minorities and the disadvantaged and I don't think they would consider me disadvantaged. Otherwise I'll just say, none of their other campuses in any way encourage you to go into their medical program and I'm hoping to transfer somewhere else asap.

Hey guys, I interviewed on Friday at OU and was accepted today. Unlike some others on this site, I loved the school! The faculty and students were amazing and it seemed like an amazing program to me. I also have talked to many alumni and current students at this school and they have only good things to say about the environment and curriculum. I just wanted to add my two cents and say if you get an interview offer you should definitely give the school a chance.

Hey guys, I interviewed on Friday at OU and was accepted today. Unlike some others on this site, I loved the school! The faculty and students were amazing and it seemed like an amazing program to me. I also have talked to many alumni and current students at this school and they have only good things to say about the environment and curriculum. I just wanted to add my two cents and say if you get an interview offer you should definitely give the school a chance.

Congrats!!!!!!

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the support.

I'm interviewing there on Friday. It actually is starting to sound like a nice school to attend. I like that it's not an exclusively proffessional school, plus I have always felt the most comfortable living in a small town. I also wont have a problem with the lower tuition. Another benefit of this University is the opportunities for research. Since OU is part of a larger University, I'm sure the opportunities are much better than the exclusively proffessional schools (i.e. Touro, AZCOM, etc.). Oh well, I'm excited to at least get a closer look!

Well I don't think most of what you read on SDN is gossip but rather biased. SDN is a great place to share ideas and I understand your point of having to see a school for yourself but I don't think its all that bad to discuss schools with other. Many items of "gossip" are actually true but the context of discussion may be a little off. Such as OU-COM's 5 year agreement. Many people distort that and that is a huge turnoff for out of state students, which is fine for me :D

Well as a real student at OUCOM one that lived in Athens for two years and is set to graduate in June I can say that the staff at OUCOM is fantastic. They are very supportive and very helpful. Med school is full of hoops and the OUCOM staff is nothing but helpful. Going to OUCOM was the best decision that I have ever made. It's a great school and believe me you will be prepared for 3rd and 4th year after your first two years.

2004 OUCOM Grad. The school has all the tools you need for a successful medical education. The CORE system is a great advantage that many other DO schools do not have. In fact, several other DO schools use the Ohio CORE system for their students' rotations. I'm currently in a competitive allopathic residency with people who graduated from Duke, Wisconsin, Utah, Virginia, and other respectable MD university programs. I can comptete with them on any level.

With that being said, the quality of your medical education depends 99-100% on what you put into it. I don't care if the school's boards pass rate is 100% since it opened, it does not mean that YOU will be successful. Those in my class who worked hard and got 90+ percentile scores on all 3 Comlex exams and also did well on the USMLE had better chances of getting into the residencies that they wanted. YOU are the rate limiting step in the whole equation.

Actually, I just read the contract. The contract says that post-graduate medical education (including residency) does not count towards the five year commitment. The agreement is 5 years from the date of "post-graduate" medical education completion. Kinda sucks...

Actually, I just read the contract. The contract says that post-graduate medical education (including residency) does not count towards the five year commitment. The agreement is 5 years from the date of "post-graduate" medical education completion. Kinda sucks...

Don't forget to read the last sentance...they can void the contract as they see fit. mshheaddoc also has heard this...I'm sure that they don't want to put that in the contract b/c it will attract more OOS applicants!

Don't forget to read the last sentance...they can void the contract as they see fit. mshheaddoc also has heard this...I'm sure that they don't want to put that in the contract b/c it will attract more OOS applicants!

Ehh, why would they want to attract more OOS applicants? There are plenty of qualified in-state students that apply. True, they'll make way more money off of OOS students, but that's why so few actually matriculate. I don't see them terminating lots of those contracts just so they can make more money on some application fees (since we take massive influx of OOS students matriculating out of the equation).

Ehh, why would they want to attract more OOS applicants? There are plenty of qualified in-state students that apply. True, they'll make way more money off of OOS students, but that's why so few actually matriculate. I don't see them terminating lots of those contracts just so they can make more money on some application fees (since we take massive influx of OOS students matriculating out of the equation).

That's the point I thought I was making. OU is one of the few schools that are devoted all around to training doctors to stay local. They want to create doctors to service Ohio. There is nothing hidden about that when you talk to them. They don't want to bring OOS people who will leave as soon as they are "free," they want to bring in OOS people who will stay for residency, settle and they stay in Ohio.

It seems like if they published that you could be done with your 5 year contract sooner more OOS people would "stick it out." that's just my two-cents though.

That's the point I thought I was making. OU is one of the few schools that are devoted all around to training doctors to stay local. They want to create doctors to service Ohio. There is nothing hidden about that when you talk to them. They don't want to bring OOS people who will leave as soon as they are "free," they want to bring in OOS people who will stay for residency, settle and they stay in Ohio.

It seems like if they published that you could be done with your 5 year contract sooner more OOS people would "stick it out." that's just my two-cents though.

I see; must have misread your previous statements. What I thought you were saying was that they have no problem terminating the contract, which they use as a selling point to attract more OOSers (come to OU and don't worry about the contract; nothing but a formality that will be overlooked if you like). That would go against what you just said, though, so I see that we agree now.

OUCOM is a great school. I interviewed and was accepted there. I loved the staff and found them to be very helpful however there is he 5 year contract to consider. I am not from OHiO and do not want to be stuck anywhere for 5 years even my own state. For that reason, I will probably not be attending OUCOM. I think it's a good place to go if there is no other choice or if from Ohio. There is some research compared to other smaller DO schools but not much when compared to big allopathic schools like Ohio State or Ucincinnati.

OUCOM is a great school. I interviewed and was accepted there. I loved the staff and found them to be very helpful however there is he 5 year contract to consider. I am not from OHiO and do not want to be stuck anywhere for 5 years even my own state. For that reason, I will probably not be attending OUCOM. I think it's a good place to go if there is no other choice or if from Ohio. There is some research compared to other smaller DO schools but not much when compared to big allopathic schools like Ohio State or Ucincinnati.

This is basically for students at OUCOM. Where did everyone decide to live? Are you satisfied with your choice? I am just trying to figure out where to live.

Well I'm waiting to hear from them and a couple of other schools and I feel like I'm living on pins and needles. I never knew that the waiting would be this bad!! But I guess I'll be fine. :D

Hey guys I just got the secondary today and I am pretty excited. Can you guys give me some feedback on what they are looking for on the essay? I know what I want to say but I just wanted to get some ideas. What would you say the ratio was of getting the secondary and then an interview? :D
Thanks guys!!

Are your sure? As I understand, doing residency outside the CORE does NOT count (as you say). However, residency in the CORE does count. A 3-year primary care residency in the CORE will fulfill the 5-year commitment.

http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/admissions/contract.htm

If this is truly a deal breaker for you, get off SDN now and call OUCOM's Student Affairs office, let them know you have questions about the contract, and...you get the idea. As DORoe mentioned above, they're unbelievably helpful.

Cool!
I actually didn't know about that page! I just read the contract, not that site. That is awsome and now I'm excited! I was planning on going to OU-COM if I don't get into my top choices. As of now, out of the school's I've been accepted at, OU-COM is where I'm going. I was very impressed with the school!

Any advice for a fellow premed?! :D

Just be honest, think about why you would like the school. For me, I researched it and found out it was in a small town, which I LOVED! For all of my essays, I researched them out from the interview feedback on SDN. A great place to learn about the school when you can't actually go there. Look at the positive aspects of the school, and write about how they fit your goals and ambitions.

I'm not sure what your chances are. I think they get like 4,000 something applications and accept 140 or so. I would fill it out, and if you get an interview, go as soon as you can.

Thanks Concubine! I have been researching the school over and over and I feel like I would really fit in there. I was just trying to figure out a round about figure on how many ppl actually get in out of those who received the secondary. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks Shinken. I checked it out and it was pretty helpful.

I just sent off for my LOR's to be sent in by Virtual Eval. Yea!!:D I will be sending off my secondary this weekend, but I was worried about sending it in sooo late. Does anyone know of anyone who got an interview invite with them just having the LOR's and secondary not in yet?

I'm still waiting for one of my LOR's :rolleyes:

I'm in the same boat. Everything but 1 LOR has been in for well over a month...it was just so hard tracking down the 2nd science prof from 5 years ago!

I'm still waiting for one of my LOR's :rolleyes:

I'm in the same boat. Everything but 1 LOR has been in for well over a month...it was just so hard tracking down the 2nd science prof from 5 years ago!

I'm in a similar situation...I had sent in a letter from a pre-med advisor (I thought this was acceptable, but apparently I needed a pre-med committee letter)...so I had to track down a couple of science profs that hardly remember me....OUCOM was the only school I applied to that wouldn't accept my pre-med letter. I hope they get sent in soon -- I'm really holding out for OUCOM. Good luck to you guys! :luck:

Hello everyone,

Did anyone else interview at OU-COM on 11/02 (yesterday)? I only ask because the head admissions guy said that he may email acceptances yesterday evening, but I didn't receive any emails... The first two interviewers were awesome, but my DO interviewer was really rude to me. He was 10 minutes late, and he wouldn't even regard me when I answered his questions..he just kept staring at my file... I am pretty sure he screwed me on acceptance there..

Does anyone know if OU COM emails you if you are rejected or waitlisted or they just email you if you are accepted? Has anyone who interviewed there on Friday 11/02 heard anything?

Thanks!
B

BUMP

No one interview at OU-COM on 11/02??:(

Hello everyone how's it going? I hope you guys hear something soon. :luck:

Have a quick question. Does OUCOM do a pre-secondary screen?

Hello everyone. Just wanted to see if anyone heard anything from OUCOM. :D

Hello everyone how's it going? I hope you guys hear something soon. :luck:

Have a quick question. Does OUCOM do a pre-secondary screen?

I don't think they do, but I could be mistaken. If your instate, you have a pretty good shot at an interview. However, OOS students will have a more difficult time. Good luck!