OUCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedinohio

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those applying for the class of 2014 at ou-com!

Members don't see this ad.

Hells yea!

My girlfriend is going to Dental school at Case, so I would def like to be close to her, and this would definitely be a great place to be!

Plus, I have been shadowing a trauma surgeon who came out of the first graduating class from OUCOM!!

hopefully that rec scores me something...

Thats good. Shadowing is definitely a requirement for OU!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email from OU stating that they are doing a preliminary screening of my app...

maybe they're getting a lotta apps this year..

They screen all primary applications before sending secondaries.

Nice! I just received there secondary. Now I have to sign my life away to five years of practice in Ohio if I get in and decide to go :p

Ohio is pretty awesome. Remember you can always go on vacations, haha.

Nice! I just received there secondary. Now I have to sign my life away to five years of practice in Ohio if I get in and decide to go :p

Don't do it. Medicine in itself is already enough of a commitment.

Hey, how long did it take for you guys to receive secondaries after your primary application was released to OUCOM?

Hey, how long did it take for you guys to receive secondaries after your primary application was released to OUCOM?

After about 8 days i got an email saying they're going to screen my primary, i got the secondary a week after that.

ok thanks! I wonder why I haven't heard from them yet...

Does OU notify us when we are complete? Or do we have to call?

I like this school too. Only reason I didn't send in their secondary was that 5-year contract.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could someone please explain the 5 year contract? I can't find anything about it on the website and haven't received my secondary yet to read it.

Are there essays for the OU secondary? If so, could someone post the prompts for the secondary? Thanks.

Are there essays for the OU secondary? If so, could someone post the prompts for the secondary? Thanks.

Why you wish to become an Osteopathic physician, why do you want to attend OU, and any other information you would like the school to know about you.

yea, the 5 year contract pretty much drops this school off my list.

Are you kidding? If this would be you only acceptance, you would give up your chances of being a doctor because you would have to help people in Ohio for five years. Think about it. Its a great school and it has a lot to offer.

Are you kidding? If this would be you only acceptance, you would give up your chances of being a doctor because you would have to help people in Ohio for five years. Think about it. Its a great school and it has a lot to offer.

Yeah but people have different situations. If someone is from boston and has a spouse from that area as well, I wouldn't want to stick around in Ohio any longer than I'd have to.

i'm an ohio resident, and if they made me sign that contract, i'd drop oucom from my list as well. :laugh:

Does anyone know when OUCOM starts offering interviews? I'm just waiting on my letters to get in, which should be sent out before this weekend. I'm really hoping for an interview here.

Does anyone know when OUCOM starts offering interviews? I'm just waiting on my letters to get in, which should be sent out before this weekend. I'm really hoping for an interview here.

I'm not exactly sure. But looking at last years thread, it seems people began announcing around Sep. 16/17 that they received interview invites for Oct. 3rd. Then a student at OU said he saw kids interviewing on campus on Sep. 25. I'm hoping to hear from them soon as well. Good luck.

I called down there today to check on my folder (still missing the letters) and the woman told me that they had started sending out interview invitations. For the record, OU will accept MD letters. I've been trying to get a hold of the DO I shadowed with for a letter for the past month and have had no success, so I asked if I could send an MD letter instead that I already had for AMCAS. She said that was fine, although I doubt it will be weighted as heavily as a DO letter.

Was anybody else able to type directly onto the secondary pdf, or did you just hand write everything? It is annoying because none of my computers will type anything into the fields!! =(

Was anybody else able to type directly onto the secondary pdf, or did you just hand write everything? It is annoying because none of my computers will type anything into the fields!! =(

I printed the entire secondary out. I filled in the basic info with pen, and then typed the essay on a separate sheet. I know others who did the same.

Anyone receive interviews for the 2010 cycle?
I am complete, under review.

Nope still waiting...under review also.

Anyone receive interviews for the 2010 cycle?
I am complete, under review.

No invite yet. Did you guys call to find out you're complete, or did you get an email? I should probably call instead of assuming I am complete. Good luck guys.

I called to see if I was complete.

I called this morning and I am now under review...

same here...keeping my fingers crossed that we get interviews soon:xf::)

i received an interview invite in the mail today for sep. 25. I'm looking forward to it and I hope all of you hear back from them soon with an invite as well. I need to get a suit and a haircut.

i received an interview invite in the mail today for sep. 25. I'm looking forward to it and I hope all of you hear back from them soon with an invite as well. I need to get a suit and a haircut.

Congrats, good luck to you on that. Out of curiosity, how long ago did you get all of your stuff in? I know my last letter just got in on Tuesday, but I've had my secondary in since late August.

Congrats, good luck to you on that. Out of curiosity, how long ago did you get all of your stuff in? I know my last letter just got in on Tuesday, but I've had my secondary in since late August.

I sent my secondary in on July 23 and all my letters were actually sent out a few days before that. I'd imagine with your stats, you will be hearing from them very soon. They said in the letter that there will be 3 separate 30 min interviews (each with diff. physicians and faculty). Maybe thats how it is at most schools but it seems pretty hardcore.

Congrats on the interview! Did you receive a notification via email regarding your interview as well or only by snail mail?

Congrats on the interview! Did you receive a notification via email regarding your interview as well or only by snail mail?

Thank you very much. It was only snail mail.

Last edited:
Yeah congrats on your interview....good luck.

I think I was complete about 2 weeks ago. Hoping to interview here. 3.6 cum / 3.4 science / 26R. Out of state though...I hope that doesn't put me at too bad of a disadvantage.

**Sigh**

I sent my secondary in on July 23 and all my letters were actually sent out a few days before that. I'd imagine with your stats, you will be hearing from them very soon. They said in the letter that there will be 3 separate 30 min interviews (each with diff. physicians and faculty). Maybe thats how it is at most schools but it seems pretty hardcore.

The interviews at OUCOM are pretty relaxed, but go really quickly! Just be prepared to answer questions about yourself more than your application (i.e. what do you do in your spare time?) Everyone in Athens is super-nice... Congrats on the interview invite!

My parents just called and told me I received an interview invitation from OU today in the mail at home. I'm pretty pumped.

My parents just called and told me I received an interview invitation from OU today in the mail at home. I'm pretty pumped.

Congratulations. Are you interviewing on the 25th?

I'm a current first year here at OUCOM. Actually saw a couple of interviewers today, which reminded me to check this place. If anybody has any questions feel free to PM me. I'll try to answer them in a reasonably timely manner.

Also for the record, that 5 year contract ONLY PERTAINS TO OUT-OF-STATE APPLICANTS.

just as an FYI.

good luck.

Anyone else gonna be there Oct. 9th?

So, what can I expect out of this interview?

So, what can I expect out of this interview?
Financial aid meeting, tour of the school and labs, van tour of the entire campus, a pretty good lunch with Q&A from current students, 3-4 personal interviews with anybody from an administrative assistant to the Dean of the school.

Generally pretty laid back, open file interview. I didnt have many curveballs. Maybe know "whats your biggest regret" and "three words to describe you." Not really a whole lot you can do to prepare. Ask the interviewers questions at the end. Be yourself, they don't bite. If you're in, you generally either hear that day or the following Monday depending on who you interviewed with. Good luck.

Thanks, TheGoodGoodTime, for your helpful advice about the interview day. I'd also like to reiterate to any future interviewees that there is no need to be nervous whatsoever about the interview at OUCOM. Everyone there is really nice and personable and your interviewers really try to connect with you during the interview. I was asked maybe three standard interview questions (Why do you want to be a doctor, why osteopathic, and why OUCOM). Everything else was pretty much from my file. Just got my acceptance email this morning and am very excited about it. I could most definitely see myself attending medical school here.

Yeah but people have different situations. If someone is from boston and has a spouse from that area as well, I wouldn't want to stick around in Ohio any longer than I'd have to.

Hey guys, I was accepted into this fall's entering class but I chose to defer for the year so I will be part of the entering class of 2010!!! So Congratulations to all of you who got invites to interview and Good Luck!!!

About the "Out-of-State Contract" all out-of staters dread including myself, there is an opt out to this contract that not many people know about and there are also other routes to take that shorten the length of the contract depending on your specialty/practice. You can buy your way out of the contract if you so absolutely cannot stand being in Ohio or for family reasons or just because. The last I heard (back in 2007) the cost of the buy out was about $50,000 which really isn't that bad when you think about it and I know of number of med students that are taking that route just cause they would rather be back home. I am not sure what it is now but they have some way of figuring it out. Hope this helps out with those of you that considered this a deal breaker.

If you all have any other questions let me know