OUCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I was accepted into this fall's entering class but I chose to defer for the year so I will be part of the entering class of 2010!!! So Congratulations to all of you who got invites to interview and Good Luck!!!

About the "Out-of-State Contract" all out-of staters dread including myself, there is an opt out to this contract that not many people know about and there are also other routes to take that shorten the length of the contract depending on your specialty/practice. You can buy your way out of the contract if you so absolutely cannot stand being in Ohio or for family reasons or just because. The last I heard (back in 2007) the cost of the buy out was about $50,000 which really isn't that bad when you think about it and I know of number of med students that are taking that route just cause they would rather be back home. I am not sure what it is now but they have some way of figuring it out. Hope this helps out with those of you that considered this a deal breaker.

If you all have any other questions let me know

What specialties effect the amount of time?

Members don't see this ad.

What specialties effect the amount of time?

Don't quote me on this but I remember it being something like if you were you to go into internal medicine, just a general practitioner for example and work in a rural area such as SE Ohio (the Appalachian region) then your time could be cut down to 3 years or your intership could also count towards part of the payback instead of going through your internship and then beginning your payback as a resident . These are just incentivies since OUCOM produces a number of doctors that pursue internal medicine.

This should by NO means influence your decision to go into general practice just to shave off a few years of the OOS contract. If internal medicine is a field you really want to go into then great, you can get through your contract a little faster than others, but if not, pursue your speciality, put up with the 5 years (it is not the end of the world) or buy out.

Don't quote me on this but I remember it being something like if you were you to go into internal medicine, just a general practitioner for example and work in a rural area such as SE Ohio (the Appalachian region) then your time could be cut down to 3 years or your intership could also count towards part of the payback instead of going through your internship and then beginning your payback as a resident . These are just incentivies since OUCOM produces a number of doctors that pursue internal medicine.

This should by NO means influence your decision to go into general practice just to shave off a few years of the OOS contract. If internal medicine is a field you really want to go into then great, you can get through your contract a little faster than others, but if not, pursue your speciality, put up with the 5 years (it is not the end of the world) or buy out.

Honestly, I am fine living in state for a few years. I have family here, so no biggie.....just need to get an interview though :)

Thanks though

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on October 16th and was accepted Monday morning. I have interviewed at MD and DO programs and this school is by far my top choice. The faculty and staff are super friendly, classy, and very helpful. Good luck everyone!

Congrats, have you heard of anyone else from your interview class? I interviewed on the 9th and haven't heard anything back! I am getting nervous!

Congrats, have you heard of anyone else from your interview class? I interviewed on the 9th and haven't heard anything back! I am getting nervous!

Nope, haven't heard anything from anyone else. You should call the school and find out where you are in the game. They are pretty good about giving straight answers.

I met you on the 9th. Cool :thumbup:.

I interviewed on the 16th as well and was accepted Monday!! I also interviewed at MD and DO. I was extremely impressed by the campus and the program at OU. I am going back to take my little cousin on a college visit there and I can't wait! Hope to see you all in the fall!:)

I interviewed on the 16th as well and was accepted Monday!! I also interviewed at MD and DO. I was extremely impressed by the campus and the program at OU. I am going back to take my little cousin on a college visit there and I can't wait! Hope to see you all in the fall!:)

Congrats! I was very impressed by the school as well. I have just heard that I am put on wait-list. This I thought I interviewed well and I am glad I am still in the running. I also only have one other interview set up at this point at LECOM. I am going to use this to push myself forward!

Last edited:
Congrats to all of you that made OUCOM, I also interviewed on Friday (16th) and received a letter in the mail informing me I'm on the wait-list. Nice meeting you last week Anatomy and cognatklb.

Congrats! I was very impressed by the school as well. I have just heard that I am put on wait-list. This I thought I interviewed well and I am glad I am still in the running. I also only have one other interview set up at this point at LECOM. I am going to use this to push myself forward!

The wait list isn't bad. They said they took several people from the wait list last year.

Nice to meet you too!

I also interviewed on Friday, Oct 16th... and got an email of my acceptance on Monday... Im so excited. I am an out of state guy, and had never been to Athens... but it is definitly my top DO choice right now!!!
It was nice meeting all of you, and Congrats and goodluck to everyone!

I know its still extremely early.. but anyone interested in starting up a facebook group? haha.. as mentioned in the bus tour...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Went for my interview on the 30th--strange how my first trip to Athens is on that famous weekend, yet I had no participation in the festivities! I was accepted by phone within 2 hours of leaving campus, and was very impressed with the school :)

There is a facebook group titled OUCOM Class of 2014... if anyone is interested in meeting future classmates...

They tell you that acceptance emails are sent at about 8:30 am Monday, and a letter actually explaining the deposit or deficiencies in your record comes by snail mail later that week. If you don't get an email, you're probably waitlisted or rejected and the letter will come in the mail. I actually got a call from one of my interviewers saysing I was accepted while I was on my drive home from my interview, so I guess they sometimes do that too. Basically, quickest turnaround ever.

i'm interviewing tomorrow. :scared:

To everyone who is accepted what exactly did you send to the school. I ask because they sent me a one page form and a letter that says forward written confirmation....is that just filling their form out or do I need to write them a letter or something?

Also do we need to send the deposit at the same time as the form, I ask because I don't want to put any money down until I am sure (they do say December 15th in the letter, can I just wait until December 10th and send it then?)

Let me know, thanks in advance.

To everyone who is accepted what exactly did you send to the school. I ask because they sent me a one page form and a letter that says forward written confirmation....is that just filling their form out or do I need to write them a letter or something?

Also do we need to send the deposit at the same time as the form, I ask because I don't want to put any money down until I am sure (they do say December 15th in the letter, can I just wait until December 10th and send it then?)

Let me know, thanks in advance.

Congrats on getting accepted to OUCOM! I, too, was accepted, and I filled out the form they sent me AND wrote a formal letter of confirmation. I just addressed it to the "Admissions Office" and typed about two sentences of things like "I offically accept my place in the class" etc. I think that they just want to make sure who is definitly coming and who isn't.

As far as the money, you're right... you have until Dec. 15th to fork over the hundred bucks... honestly, I knew I wanted to go there, so I just immediately sent in the letter, form and money. But, if you're not sure, I would hold off on committing.

I believe that sending the letter requesting a spot to be held was not necessarily a "commitment." You can hold a space in as many incoming classes as you want (until May 15 for MD, indefinitely for DO)... or as many as you can afford I suppose.

I know OU prefers Ohio residents but how friendly are they to OOS?

This thread is very quiet lately. Anyone still interviewing here and whatnot? I interviewed on Nov 6 and was accepted by 6pm that night by one of my interviewers!! Love the school... but still shopping around to make sure its where I really want to be. :)

I recently sent in a letter giving up my seat in the class, so a spot should be opening up for someone. I really liked the school and it was a tough decision for me, but I got in somewhere that I would consider to be a better fit for me. Good luck everyone!

No love from my neighboring state! Hope to hear from them soon. Good luck to everyone in the application process.

I've been complete here for about a month. Haven't heard a peep out of them in regards to an interview. I'm in state.

My secondary has been complete for awhile, and I haven't heard anything...i'm in-state too.

I sent in my secondary on 7/31/09 and did not hear anything until 10/26/09.

Oh that's good to know...hopefully i hear something soon! Thanks!

I spoke with the admissions office at OU-COM today and was told that OU-COM considers secondary applications through the month of April, so let's remain optimistic. My file was complete as of last week Thursday. :)

I have applied there, but haven't heard anything yet... has anyone done the Summer Scholars Program there?

Does anyone know the best places to live in Athens? I am matriculating in late July. I am married and want to live in a somewhat quite place. Is there an apartment complex that is better to live as a med student? Could use some help!:D

I just finished typing my personal statement for the secondary. (Yahoo!) Now, I've read all of the info on PCC and CPC curricula, but I'm not sure which I'd best be suited for. I like the opportunities and abilities gained from the PCC curriculum, but I like the structure of the CPC curriculum. Any thoughts?

Also, from what I understand, you have to apply to the PCC curriculum. Could anyone speak to this and possibly the application process?

Does anyone know the best places to live in Athens? I am matriculating in late July. I am married and want to live in a somewhat quite place. Is there an apartment complex that is better to live as a med student? Could use some help!:D
Its all personal taste really. A lot of medical students live at Station Street Apts which are by far the the closest to the school. I can roll out of bed at like 755am and make it there on time. At least my building is fairly quiet, but I am not sure about the rest. Not only medical students live here, so do some undergrads. For what its worth, a lot of the students that chose to live elsewhere are deciding to move into Station St because of its convenience.

Other people live basically all over Athens. Summit is another popular choice. The apts are BRAND new and incredibly nice, but they are more expensive and not that close to the school. Not to mention its literally on a Summit. I can't speak in terms of the noise there, but those apts are by far and large the nicest I've seen around here. Its basically comes down to what you want out of the place you live.

There are a couple of other places around here, but none are as popular as these two choices. IF you want more info feel free to PM me.

Its all personal taste really. A lot of medical students live at Station Street Apts which are by far the the closest to the school. I can roll out of bed at like 755am and make it there on time. At least my building is fairly quiet, but I am not sure about the rest. Not only medical students live here, so do some undergrads. For what its worth, a lot of the students that chose to live elsewhere are deciding to move into Station St because of its convenience.

Other people live basically all over Athens. Summit is another popular choice. The apts are BRAND new and incredibly nice, but they are more expensive and not that close to the school. Not to mention its literally on a Summit. I can't speak in terms of the noise there, but those apts are by far and large the nicest I've seen around here. Its basically comes down to what you want out of the place you live.

There are a couple of other places around here, but none are as popular as these two choices. IF you want more info feel free to PM me.

Thank you for the helpful information! As a non-traditional student, I consider this (living situation) my primary concern when going in to a new town. Typically do the apartments you mention work best for single occupancy or do they have roommates? My family would stay in Columbus if I choose OUCOM. With a morgage payment, I would not mind having a roommate, and I would like to hear your ideas about new students finding a medical student roommate.

How do you think OUCOM non-traditional students stack up? How many older students are there? How do you think they do compared to the rest of the student body?

I am anxious about my upcoming interview with OUCOM. I consider most of my folder fodder average, but I did managed a 32 on the MCAT and hope that can pull through for me! Kind words of support are appreciate :p

Thank you for the helpful information! As a non-traditional student, I consider this (living situation) my primary concern when going in to a new town. Typically do the apartments you mention work best for single occupancy or do they have roommates? My family would stay in Columbus if I choose OUCOM. With a morgage payment, I would not mind having a roommate, and I would like to hear your ideas about new students finding a medical student roommate.

How do you think OUCOM non-traditional students stack up? How many older students are there? How do you think they do compared to the rest of the student body?

I am anxious about my upcoming interview with OUCOM. I consider most of my folder fodder average, but I did managed a 32 on the MCAT and hope that can pull through for me! Kind words of support are appreciate :p
Sometime soon OUCOM will email everybody that has been accepted the link to a forum much like this, except it will be only for people admitted to the Class of 2014. One of the threads there will be for a roommate search. Just about everybody in my class found another med student roommate that way, and its worked out with great success. So I'd say wait until there because its easier.

Most people in medical school I'd say live in a 2 bedroom apt with a roommate, myself included. The rent is WAY cheaper that way. I don't really think its necessary to live by yourself if you want quiet to study, as if your roommate is in the same boat, its not really an issue. But its personal choice, and I know I wanted to save $300 more a month.

As far as how the non-traditionals stack up, I am not really sure to be honest. Nobody really talks about grades considering its PASS/FAIL, and I am not usually considered about other people and their grades to begin with. As far as older students go, I guess it depends on your definition of "old." I mean there are only a handful (6-7 probably) in the 30-50 age group. Most are 22-26. If I were to guess the mean age, I'd probably say like 24. But this is me guessing. I am not 100% on most people's ages. Hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

I live at Capstone. It's off of 50west. Its a 4 minute drive to campus in the morning, but it's also outside of town. It's all townhouses, very roomy, inexpensive and extremely quiet, which I like cause I study at home. It's only grad students and families and is out in the country backed up to a farm. There's a lot of med students that live over here and everyone likes it.

Hi All! If I have been complete since August with no word (CA resident) should I assume I'm nixed?

I have not heard anything either. I am OOS from CA as well. When I called couple of weeks ago, I was told that it was under review. Does anyone know how long the review process is? What's GPA/MCAT score for those accepted? Thanks.

I just talked to the admissions director a few days ago and he told me to hang in there because they accept half of the class before the holidays and then the other half after the holidays. Also, they stop interviewing in mid-April. I haven't received word yet either but don't give up hope guys!

Upcoming interview on Feb. 19. I am OOS any advice on what's the best place to stay ?? I was told I would've to arrive to the Columbus airport which is located around 70 miles away from the OU COM campus, what's the best way to get to campus?? rent-a-car, maybe super shuttle ?? finally, any tips for the interview ?? any useful info. would be appreciated. Thank you

Not sure if there is a shuttle, but I would rent a car... hop on 33 which runs you right into Athens. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express (free breakfast). I know there are some cheaper hotels, but I like the breakfast. All the hotel recommendations are really close to campus...so any of them are prob ok.

As for the interview, it is really relaxed. Just be yourself....cannot go wrong there.

What's the stat of those got interviewed and accepted? Does anyone know full is the class as of now? Thanks.

If anyone is interested, please feel free to PM me. I'm a second year student looking to rent out my condo starting in mid-July. It's a 3 br/2 bath and it's at College Park, which is right by O'Bleness Hospital and walking distance to the med school. Laundry and dishwasher are in-unit. There is a master bedroom and 2 medium-sized bedrooms. Perfect for 2 or 3 people.

Hi does anyone know the class size for entering class of 2010?

Not sure if there is a shuttle, but I would rent a car... hop on 33 which runs you right into Athens. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express (free breakfast). I know there are some cheaper hotels, but I like the breakfast. All the hotel recommendations are really close to campus...so any of them are prob ok.

As for the interview, it is really relaxed. Just be yourself....cannot go wrong there.

I was thinking about staying at the Holiday Inn also, it's like $90.00 per night; I would start looking for car-rental then, because I don't think either a shuttle or any type of bus service is available, since the Columbus airport is pretty far away from the campus. Thank you for your prompt response