OUCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
they are offering 120 seats. I guess that answers my question.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone! I finally went ahead and registered for these student doc forums. Better late than never! - Anyways, I'm pre med psychology, and have applied to a number of DO and MD schools, but I'm very much interested in OU.
- My file is complete there and awaiting interview decision.

And I talked to someone there today and they've picked a little over half their class. (probably around 60).

Sam

Does anybody have the stats. of how many OOS applicants are interviewed?? accepted??

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody have the stats. of how many OOS applicants are interviewed?? accepted??

Thank you

Most of this info. is coming from OUCOM's FAQ page:

-OUCOM is a state-supported school, so they do give preference to Ohio residents in the application process.

These demographics are from the entering class of 2006 but the class size has not changed much? So about 12-18 OOS are accepted per year.
For the entering class of 2006:
Class size – 120
Female – 56%
Minority – 26%
Out-of-state – 15% (I hear it's about 10-15% a year)
Age – ranges from 21-45

Also, for the person asking about if any people have been accepted from NY, I am not sure about NY, but I know some OUCOM students that are from TX (this is where I am from), NJ, LA, IN, VA, AL and MI.

I just got invited for an interview next week... I read through the forum and was wondering if anyone had anymore detailed experiences of the interview/questions/etc... I hear great things about the interview and how it's really laid back. but one of my close friends had a rough experience a month-ish ago at the interview. I guess I just dont wanna get caught off guard with any curve balls lol... Anyway, was just wondering. thanks in advance

This thread is really inactive haha... I guess i'll liven things up

I had my interview this past fri and it was a blast. The entire day was laid back, relaxed, and enjoyable. The entire staff is awesome and friendly. The director of admissions himself talked for about an hour about the school and didnt drone on and on, he was very entertaining and seems like a really cool guy. He joked around a lot and kept his sh peal interesting. Then a financial aid talk of course, where i kinda dozed/zoned out. And then a tour of the medical school which was pretty impressive followed by a van tour of the university and city of Athens. I felt the time they took to do those tours was awesome, gained a lot of insightful information about the school and really shows how they care for not only the students but also the applicants as well. Then lunch and interviews. The interviews were awesome, i kept forgetting i was in the middle of an interview and started talking to the interviewers as if they were close friends.

I asked ppl for a week and during the interview day about the interview itself. Is there any inside info, anything to steer away from, etc. etc... Everyone said be yourself, go in with a blank mind and dont be worried. Of course EVERYONE gives that advice for other schools so i really wasnt comforted by that advice. But that advice could not have been better for that school. Going in prepared with Q and A's and "pre canned" answers wouldnt have helped. The interviewers REALLY DID just want to know who you are instead of wanting to see how u reacted under pressure or anything. They understood that drilling you with questions that are of "traditional" med school interview fashion wont get a better read of you since u prob poured your heart and soul into ur primary and secondary.

So basically, if you interview here. Expect to have a fun, relaxed day. Joke around and loosen up. The staff is amazing and the interviewers are awesome people in general. The hardest question i got was, what are your hobbies and where do you see yourself in 10 years... haha... And that was by the same lady... The rest was literally a conversation. Go into the interview with the mindset that you're going to hold a dialogue/conversation. Thats most likely what they wanna see. That and being yourself is prob the best way you can show your passion for the field and the school.

Anyway, that was my experience. Dont know how valid my advice is though since i dont know if i got in yet but we'll see!!!:shrug::xf:

Does anybody know how many people (avg.) are taken off the waiting list ??

Thank you

Last edited:
very laid back interview day, nothing really to add except that the facilities were pretty awesome compared to some of the other schools I interviewed at. interviewed friday and didn't get an email today so I think that means wait list so i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

There are several students from previous years that search this page. I was curious what your take is on the alternate list: how many get taken from the list, that sort of thing.

91W10-
I am a current first year at OUCOM. Wait list status is not something people talk about often, but from what I've gathered from talking to people this year, I know for sure of about 5 who got in from the wait list. However, I would say more than that were taken from the wait list. I don't have numbers but I would say a good estimate is probably 5-15/year. I know that they could let you know up until the weekend before your first day of immersion, so just try and be patient ( I know it may be hard to do). Another thing to boost your chances is notify them of anything you have done since your interview (publications, poster presentations, awards, shadowing {if significant}, etc.). I just got on this thread today and noticed not many people have posted much, let me know if you have any more questions as I will most likely check this daily from now on

hi everyone, i wonder if anyone here partocipated in the summer scholar program?

I haven't participated in the Summer Scholars Program, but I just got accepted into it for this summer! If anyone has any advice/insight about the program that would be great!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know the Admissions Committee ranks all the alternates this month. Will they let us know a general range, such as top third or bottom third, so we can go about praying properly?

I was told that the committe was going to meet this week and determine the wait list and its final ranking; however, I am not sure when we should expect to hear back about any decision made on the ranking.

My advice to you would just be to call Dr. Schriner in the admissions office. The majority of people on this site are students and they don't really share information like that with us. However, the admissions office is very friendly and easy to access so I would just suggest calling them. Lastly, I know some people from the past didn't get pulled from the list until July so just hang in there and be aware it could be late before you hear back

Less than 2 months until the start of med school!

Anyone else getting psyched?

(And I'm curious to see if there is anyone still out there reading this thread.)

What kinds of plans is everyone making?

For the people that are on the waitlist, has anybody received any news concerning the ranking or a future acceptance ??

Less than 2 months until the start of med school!

Anyone else getting psyched?

(And I'm curious to see if there is anyone still out there reading this thread.)

What kinds of plans is everyone making?

Funny, I hadn't even looked at this thread for like 2 months, but had a whim to check it today. I'll be moving up to Athens at the end of the month and am totally excited to get started.

For the people that are on the waitlist, has anybody received any news concerning the ranking or a future acceptance ??

I'm pretty sure they don't release any rankings of spots on the wait list. It could be up until just right before immersion that they let you know if you are in or not which is late July early August. Call them and let them know if you have any changes to your application (publications, shadowing, awards, etc.)

I'm pretty sure they don't release any rankings of spots on the wait list. It could be up until just right before immersion that they let you know if you are in or not which is late July early August. Call them and let them know if you have any changes to your application (publications, shadowing, awards, etc.)
sup bro?

Spoke with Dr. Schriner earlier. He said only 3 people had been taken off the alternate list so far. Not much movement yet, but he expected some more to occur in the next month and a half. I know I'm definitely getting anxious just waiting to hear back.

He also said that the alternate list is now fixed, so any additional updates or submissions won't help your case at this point.

I was just wandering if anyone heard anything more OUCOM in the past few days? Movement of the list, acceptance, etc....