-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
OUCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011
Started by aspiringOSTEO
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
1
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anybody else get an email today about OU's secondary? Looks pretty straightforward and only one essay 👍
I got an email saying that they received my primary app yesterday. Did you get that email? and how long after that did you get your secondary?
(also, what was the essay prompt?)
I received my secondary a week after OU-COM received my primary. The prompt is:
In the space provided below indicate: why you wish to become an osteopathic physician; why you wish to attend the Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine; and any additional information you feel the college should know about you.
Good luck 🙂
In the space provided below indicate: why you wish to become an osteopathic physician; why you wish to attend the Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine; and any additional information you feel the college should know about you.
Good luck 🙂
I got an email saying that they received my primary app yesterday. Did you get that email? and how long after that did you get your secondary?
(also, what was the essay prompt?)
I received my secondary a week after OU-COM received my primary. The prompt is:
In the space provided below indicate: why you wish to become an osteopathic physician; why you wish to attend the Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine; and any additional information you feel the college should know about you.
Good luck 🙂
Thanks!!
For those applying for Fall 2011 admission at OU-COM 🙂
Got my secondary--anyone know when interviews are? Last year, they appeared to start at the end of September/beginning of October.
My secondary is in now too...but no word on when interviews are. Anyone else know this?
1
Last edited:
Does this school have a strong regional or ohio state preference for applicants or screening? Thx!
From their website:
What are the demographics of your entering class?
For the entering class of 2006:
Class size 120
Female 56%
Minority 26%
Out-of-state 15%
Age ranges from 21-45
I think the 5-year contract deters a lot of applicants.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7635531&postcount=5
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7635531&postcount=5
I think the 5-year contract deters a lot of applicants.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7635531&postcount=5
any out of student decided to sign the contract?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I never received a confirmation email, but when I called they confirmed that my file was complete 🙂
Has anyone received an email yet saying your file is complete? I sent in the secondary and LORs a couple of weeks ago and I haven't heard from them yet.
I think the 5-year contract deters a lot of applicants.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7635531&postcount=5
What are implications of signing the 5 year contract.
1
Last edited:
I got a secondary (OOS) and looked over the contract. If you do residency in certain preapproved AOA places in Ohio, in one of the primary care fields, then it counts for 1.5 years per year you do it. Hence, you can be out of the contract after residency.
http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/saffairs/survival_manual/2005-2007/out_of_state_guidelines.htm
If you do a different specialty for residency, in an approved Ohio hospital, it's a 1:1 year tradeoff. So the contract really isn't bad at all if you are willing to stay in Ohio for 7+ years, and can find a match somewhere in Ohio. Still, you do limit some options so consider everything before signing anything.
http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/saffairs/survival_manual/2005-2007/out_of_state_guidelines.htm
If you do a different specialty for residency, in an approved Ohio hospital, it's a 1:1 year tradeoff. So the contract really isn't bad at all if you are willing to stay in Ohio for 7+ years, and can find a match somewhere in Ohio. Still, you do limit some options so consider everything before signing anything.
I got a secondary (OOS) and looked over the contract. If you do residency in certain preapproved AOA places in Ohio, in one of the primary care fields, then it counts for 1.5 years per year you do it. Hence, you can be out of the contract after residency.
http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/saffairs/survival_manual/2005-2007/out_of_state_guidelines.htm
If you do a different specialty for residency, in an approved Ohio hospital, it's a 1:1 year tradeoff. So the contract really isn't bad at all if you are willing to stay in Ohio for 7+ years, and can find a match somewhere in Ohio. Still, you do limit some options so consider everything before signing anything.
I didn't know this at all. I was pretty sure that neither internship, residency, fellowships done in the state of Ohio counted toward the 5yr agreeement; I am saying this because in the contract it was explicitly stated that neither one of the above mentioned received credit toward the agreement.
" The applicant understands that internship, residency and postgraduate fellowships are included within postgraduate medical education and applicant understands that he/she will receive no credit toward the five (5) year requirement to practice medicine in the State of Ohio while applicant is pursuing said postgraduate medical education."
Does anybody know the average MCAT of people that apply here. I know their website says 8's and above are considered competitive, but nothing else. I'm an in-state applicant and I'm very interested in oucom.
I'm not sure about the average of everyone who applies, but a rep that talked to us in the fall said to shoot for at least eights and a 24 or above, if that helps at all. Granted, there are plenty of great applicants who have much higher, so it's never a guarantee.
My application is complete with a 3.96 gpa 24 mcat, in-state as well. With us being from ohio, I am hoping we have a nice chance.
Quick question, I heard some student mention OU combines your best sections if you took the test multiple times, is there any truth to that statement.
I think they do but not completely sure; you can contact admissions directly and ask them about that, they're very friendly and helpful.
1
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is definately true, I confirmed it when I was on a tour up there a little while back. Pretty awesome if you ask me.
That's great news, thanks for sharing!
I want to apply here but I'm kind of hesitant due to the 5 year dedication to practicing medicine in Ohio contract deal they have going on. Anyone have any more info and/or insight about this?
1
Last edited:
Anyone interviewing with me here on September 24th?!
congrats!!! did they email you the invite?
congrats!!! did they email you the invite?
No email, it came through regular mail on Monday. I thought it was very early, so it kind of surprised me. But I hope others get them too and start making themselves known on here 🙂 Goodluck!
No email, it came through regular mail on Monday. I thought it was very early, so it kind of surprised me. But I hope others get them too and start making themselves known on here 🙂 Goodluck!
Sounds like you're the first one, congrats!!!
Did you call at some point to make sure they received all your application documents? I need to do that today but I work til 7 🙁
Sounds like you're the first one, congrats!!!
Did you call at some point to make sure they received all your application documents? I need to do that today but I work til 7 🙁
Yes, I called about 2 weeks ago to confirm that everything was complete since I had not heard anything from them. So make sure you call 🙂
Hey all, I'm a current first year at OUCOM. I probably don't have all the answers, but if you have any questions about the school, different curricula, or just whatever, I'll do my best to help.
I'm an out of stater and in the PCC curriculum, so I can offer some opinions on those subjects as well, though my knowledge of PCC is somewhat limited since the two curricula don't actually separate until the end of August after our clinical anatomy immersion.
Congrats to those with the first interviews and best of luck to you all! OUCOM is a great school and was definitely my number one choice after the interview.
I'm an out of stater and in the PCC curriculum, so I can offer some opinions on those subjects as well, though my knowledge of PCC is somewhat limited since the two curricula don't actually separate until the end of August after our clinical anatomy immersion.
Congrats to those with the first interviews and best of luck to you all! OUCOM is a great school and was definitely my number one choice after the interview.
Hey all, I'm a current first year at OUCOM. I probably don't have all the answers, but if you have any questions about the school, different curricula, or just whatever, I'll do my best to help.
I'm an out of stater and in the PCC curriculum, so I can offer some opinions on those subjects as well, though my knowledge of PCC is somewhat limited since the two curricula don't actually separate until the end of August after our clinical anatomy immersion.
Congrats to those with the first interviews and best of luck to you all! OUCOM is a great school and was definitely my number one choice after the interview.
Out of curiousity, what made you choose PCC? I feel like it would challenge me more since it's outside of my comfort zone, different from the way the majority of undergrad is handled.
Out of curiousity, what made you choose PCC? I feel like it would challenge me more since it's outside of my comfort zone, different from the way the majority of undergrad is handled.
For me it was a natural choice. I am of the opinion that it is pointless to go to a lecture since, when working independently, I could cover more than twice the volume of material in the same amount of time. So, in undergrad, I rarely went to non-mandatory lectures. Also I had a fair amount of prior clinical experience and enjoy working through cases in a top down fashion. I seem to retain information better when I have to figure things out.
But Ultimately it boils down to your individual learning style and it seems most people in my class are not like me. There's 24 spots for the PCC curriculum out of 120 in the whole class. You have to apply and write a separate essay to get into PCC, but I don't think it's terribly competitive. It would be impossible to recommend one track over the other because it's so dependent upon the individual. You just have to figure which way you can best synthesize the massive amount of information that you need to learn.
For me it was a natural choice. I am of the opinion that it is pointless to go to a lecture since, when working independently, I could cover more than twice the volume of material in the same amount of time. So, in undergrad, I rarely went to non-mandatory lectures. Also I had a fair amount of prior clinical experience and enjoy working through cases in a top down fashion. I seem to retain information better when I have to figure things out.
But Ultimately it boils down to your individual learning style and it seems most people in my class are not like me. There's 24 spots for the PCC curriculum out of 120 in the whole class. You have to apply and write a separate essay to get into PCC, but I don't think it's terribly competitive. It would be impossible to recommend one track over the other because it's so dependent upon the individual. You just have to figure which way you can best synthesize the massive amount of information that you need to learn.
Great info thanks! Youll have to keep us updated throughout your first month and year. Im curious if you will feel closer to those in PCC and in a different clique from the other 100 or so students that are in CPC.
It will be a tough choice for me if Im accepted to OU. Receive info spoon fed, or challenge myself with PCC and as you say, probably be more efficient. PCC is probably the smart decision so I dont get lulled into comfort and laziness - if that's even possible in med school.
By the way wed all <3 you if youd tell OU admissions to start showing us some love with interviews! 😉
really OUCOM? you are going to hand out 1 interview invitation at a time? haha...anyone else hear anything? i'm getting so antsy, i LOVE athens.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all congrats, on the interviews. OU is my top choice as well especially since I am a local.
Would the people who have gotten interviews or when you get interviews mind reporting your stats?
Thanks and best of luck to everyone.
My interview is set for September 24th. I got it through regular mail, and the date of the interview was already in the letter. Just so you guys know what to look for 🙂 My stats are 24P, 3.96 gpa.
goodluck everyone!!
Just got the invite in the mail today!!!!! I'm soo excited! Anyone going to be there October 1st??
congrats! do you mind sharing when you were complete?
congrats! do you mind sharing when you were complete?
Thanks! Complete 8/17.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 21K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 40K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 65K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 69K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 49K