OUCOM Interview Information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoberto

Squirrel Girl
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, as a follow-up to my MSUCOM thread..I just got back from OUCOM and am willing to answer questions about my interview day, 8:15a-5:00p!

Members don't see this ad.

hoberto said:
Okay, as a follow-up to my MSUCOM thread..I just got back from OUCOM and am willing to answer questions about my interview day, 8:15a-5:00p!

Hey, what time did you get the call??? I interviewed there yesterday too, and heard nothing. Does that mean I'm rejected??? :(

I got the call around 5:30p. I wasn't even to I77 yet! I think I was technically still in Athens even!

I wouldn't panic yet that you didn't get a call. I think they knew I was pretty anxious to know... :rolleyes: and that I was going to be trapped in the car for 4 hours. Wait until Monday, I bet you'll have an email first thing in the morning from them. :)

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
hoberto said:
I got the call around 5:30p. I wasn't even to I77 yet! I think I was technically still in Athens even!

I wouldn't panic yet that you didn't get a call. I think they knew I was pretty anxious to know... :rolleyes: and that I was going to be trapped in the car for 4 hours. Wait until Monday, I bet you'll have an email first thing in the morning from them. :)

Good luck!

I am just completing my secondaries and OU is at the top!! Tell me anything you are willing to share! How was the atmosphere of the interview? How would you rate the facilities and the area. What did you think about the other potential students you interviewed with? Are you going to OU?

Thanks a billion for the info!!!!

Tee 224 said:
I am just completing my secondaries and OU is at the top!! Tell me anything you are willing to share! How was the atmosphere of the interview? How would you rate the facilities and the area. What did you think about the other potential students you interviewed with? Are you going to OU?

Thanks a billion for the info!!!!

The atmosphere was mostly non-stressful. I felt a little awkward during one of the interviews because I was being asked a lot of questions about what I want to do in the future...specialty, regional area...etc. Due to my family situation what I really want to do and what I am prepared/preparing to do are not the same thing. Anyway, I came off kind of wishy-washy, I thought. Doesn't mater though, cause I got in!

Anyway, I had 5 meetings. The first was just a quick review of my file. No problem there.

The second was with a DO who had me read a brief essay while he looked over my file. He asked me to look over a couple of other things too since I was done reading well before he was ready...I read too fast sometimes. Anyway, he asked me my opinion and thoughts about the essays and we talked about it. It was just a short story essay, nothing technical or anything. We talked about my background and what I thought about continuing with research. Why I am going DO..the usual stuff.

The third was with another faculty member and was also more conversational. I was asked a lot about if I was sure I wanted to be a doc and why. Also we talked about the DO/PhD program. Nothing hard except for the justifying my futureplans stuff.

The 4th was with admissions and went really well. I was asked specific questions about my file, essays, grades and MCAT. Again, not stressful.

The 5th was a DO/PhD informational meeting/interview. It went fine, mostly I asked questions about what the benefits of getting a dual degree are to a future physician. I was asked to explain my current project (yawn.) but not my past projects which kind of sucked because they were way more interesting.

The campus is absolutely gorgeous. It is one of those picturesque colleges with the white columns and red brick buildings. There are lots of trees and green space. Just stunning. The OUCOM buildings and facilities looked about the same as WVSOM and MSUCOM. Nothing was too out-of-date or anything and they are really working to continually upgrade to better technology and facilities. I really liked it. The number and variety of locations for the CORE rotations is all you could want.

Everyone I interviewed with seemed really nice...it's hard to tell as there were 12 of us and there were a few colleges with more than one representative...so they tended to stick together it seemed. Everyone I met was really very nice. The 1st and 2nd year students were super friendly and answered all of our questions! They were awesome.

Yep, I am 95% sure I am going to go there. Being able to come back to my hubby for my 3rd and 4th years will be so nice. Around here everyone knows an OUCOM grad so I know I'll be well-respected and be able to get a good residency as long as I do well on the boards. Also, compared to out-of-state schools and some MD schools OUCOM is practically free.

Some other stuff we were told during the day:
--They get around 2500 applicants and already have "hundreds" that did not get interviews (but might later in the cycle.)
--They have 100 seats.
--Neither curricula has higher pass rates or higher overall scores...they are approximately equal.
--You can live near campus and be away from the partying undergrads.
--The are starting anatomy earlier in the summer so the students are prepared for the other classes.
--They decide who to accept/waitlist/reject the day of the interview and notify you within one week.
--Usually there is some waitlist movement but last year there was no movement at all.
--100% pass rate last year on the practical assessment.

Check out the interview feedback, too!

Good luck! Maybe I'll see you next year!!!

Congratulations hoberto and good luck tee 224! I am currently a second year student here at OUCOM so feel free to ask me any other questions about the place that you might have.

hoberto said:
The atmosphere was mostly non-stressful. I felt a little awkward during one of the interviews because I was being asked a lot of questions about what I want to do in the future...specialty, regional area...etc. Due to my family situation what I really want to do and what I am prepared/preparing to do are not the same thing. Anyway, I came off kind of wishy-washy, I thought. Doesn't mater though, cause I got in!

Anyway, I had 5 meetings. The first was just a quick review of my file. No problem there.

The second was with a DO who had me read a brief essay while he looked over my file. He asked me to look over a couple of other things too since I was done reading well before he was ready...I read too fast sometimes. Anyway, he asked me my opinion and thoughts about the essays and we talked about it. It was just a short story essay, nothing technical or anything. We talked about my background and what I thought about continuing with research. Why I am going DO..the usual stuff.

The third was with another faculty member and was also more conversational. I was asked a lot about if I was sure I wanted to be a doc and why. Also we talked about the DO/PhD program. Nothing hard except for the justifying my futureplans stuff.

The 4th was with admissions and went really well. I was asked specific questions about my file, essays, grades and MCAT. Again, not stressful.

The 5th was a DO/PhD informational meeting/interview. It went fine, mostly I asked questions about what the benefits of getting a dual degree are to a future physician. I was asked to explain my current project (yawn.) but not my past projects which kind of sucked because they were way more interesting.

The campus is absolutely gorgeous. It is one of those picturesque colleges with the white columns and red brick buildings. There are lots of trees and green space. Just stunning. The OUCOM buildings and facilities looked about the same as WVSOM and MSUCOM. Nothing was too out-of-date or anything and they are really working to continually upgrade to better technology and facilities. I really liked it. The number and variety of locations for the CORE rotations is all you could want.

Everyone I interviewed with seemed really nice...it's hard to tell as there were 12 of us and there were a few colleges with more than one representative...so they tended to stick together it seemed. Everyone I met was really very nice. The 1st and 2nd year students were super friendly and answered all of our questions! They were awesome.

Yep, I am 95% sure I am going to go there. Being able to come back to my hubby for my 3rd and 4th years will be so nice. Around here everyone knows an OUCOM grad so I know I'll be well-respected and be able to get a good residency as long as I do well on the boards. Also, compared to out-of-state schools and some MD schools OUCOM is practically free.

Some other stuff we were told during the day:
--They get around 2500 applicants and already have "hundreds" that did not get interviews (but might later in the cycle.)
--They have 100 seats.
--Neither curricula has higher pass rates or higher overall scores...they are approximately equal.
--You can live near campus and be away from the partying undergrads.
--The are starting anatomy earlier in the summer so the students are prepared for the other classes.
--They decide who to accept/waitlist/reject the day of the interview and notify you within one week.
--Usually there is some waitlist movement but last year there was no movement at all.
--100% pass rate last year on the practical assessment.

Check out the interview feedback, too!

Good luck! Maybe I'll see you next year!!!

I know this is kinda personal, so if it is overstepping I understand. What were your academic and mcat stats?

I just retook the mcat this august, b/c my first time I scored a 22Q. I got a 12 on verbal and 5's on the other two sections. I have a very strong science background and don't understand where I went wrong. Anyways, Im afraid they won't even consider me. Do they have a lower mcat standard for in state students? any info would be great!

Thanks!!

Tee 224 said:
I know this is kinda personal, so if it is overstepping I understand. What were your academic and mcat stats?

I just retook the mcat this august, b/c my first time I scored a 22Q. I got a 12 on verbal and 5's on the other two sections. I have a very strong science background and don't understand where I went wrong. Anyways, Im afraid they won't even consider me. Do they have a lower mcat standard for in state students? any info would be great!

Thanks!!

I really don't know much about their stat requirements. I think I was on the low end compared to the other people there that day, though.

My MCAT: 8B 11V 8P writing Q (27Q)
GPA: 3.5, 3.5 (I have a much higher GPA for the last 5yrs or so of undergrad, though, so that may have swayed them some.)
BS: Biomedical Engineering
MS: Chemical Engineering

ALL of my interviewers mentioned my "excellent" LORs so that may have helped me out too.

Sorry, I don't know more about whether they have a particular MCAT requirement or anything. DORoe might be more helpful with that. I don't know anything about their average stats.

Here's what Princeton Review says:
Average MCAT Bio: 8.46
Average MCAT Phys: 7.80
Average MCAT Verbal: 7.76
Average MCAT Essay: P
Average UGrad GPA: 3.50

I have no idea if that is current, though.

Congrats hoberto on your acceptance to OUCOM. I was accepted last year and deferred so I will be starting starting with you next aug! I absolutely loved the campus, people and facilities and was really impressed with their international medicine program and CORE sites. I turned down my only MD acceptance to go here! Hopefully i'll be seing you in athens in aug! :D