OUCOM or PCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OUCOM or PCOM?

• OUCOM

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • PCOM

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters

nolalove

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an Ohio resident it makes the decision extremely difficult. PCOM was my first choice, but money is an issue. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, do you all say that just because Ohio is cheaper?

Just out of curiosity, do you all say that just because Ohio is cheaper?

Partially, also they are a University based school with a solid reputation and the school has its own residency programs. Lastly, class size is hugely different Ohio's class size is half the size of PCOMs.

Why did you initially like PCOM over Ohio, may I ask? For an Ohio, Oklahoma, and Texas resident...the "which DO school do I pick" choice is obvious to me.

I liked PCOM for a few reasons. First off, it's very well established. I also know a few PCOM grads and students who LOVE it and I trust their opinions.

Also, location is a big deal. I'm technically an Ohio resident but I live in NYC. Living in Athens, Ohio is less than ideal for me. I also intend on eventually living on the east coast, not Ohio and I noticed that a lot of OUCOM grads typically get residencies in-state.

I know there is a big size difference between the schools... but I'm not sure if going to a bigger school is necessarily a bad thing. I'm actually not sure where I stand on that issue.

I liked PCOM for a few reasons. First off, it's very well established. I also know a few PCOM grads and students who LOVE it and I trust their opinions.

Also, location is a big deal. I'm technically an Ohio resident but I live in NYC. Living in Athens, Ohio is less than ideal for me. I also intend on eventually living on the east coast, not Ohio and I noticed that a lot of OUCOM grads typically get residencies in-state.

I know there is a big size difference between the schools... but I'm not sure if going to a bigger school is necessarily a bad thing. I'm actually not sure where I stand on that issue.

Different strokes for different folks. Being in Athens, Ohio would be a positive for me. And the class size would be a no-brainer for me as well. I would also be interested in how many of the PCOM grads had the choice of IS tuition with a solid school.

I wouldn't read too much into Ohio students doing residency in state, the ones from Ohio probably want to do their residency in state. The students from out of state are able to use some of their residency time to start wiping out the five years they owe the state. So you can probably bet a good portion are still in Ohio by choice not by lack of choice.

I should point out you do have a nice problem on your hands as you really can't go wrong with either school, imo.

I should point out you do have a nice problem on your hands as you really can't go wrong with either school, imo.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

You're going to be fine with either school. There really aren't many "cons" with your choices. You just have to decide what factors are most important for you: cost, location, etc. Good luck!