OUCOM PCC vs CPC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

U4iA

εὐφορία
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on the two curricula they would like to share? I have done a lot of ground work, but most of the people I have spoken to are CPCers that are die hard fans. I would like to hear the counterpoint.

Also, do the PCCers more commonly go in to primary care fields? I know this curriculum was originally called the Primary Care Curriculum.

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to the pcc but will probably go into the cpc. From what I understand (again no first hand experience) the pcc is not that focused on primary care, although they say that it is. It is more for more independent people that learn well in a self-directed environment. The PCC offers less class time, more independence, and requires much more self-motivation. It also offers more patient interaction during the preclinical years. With OUCOM's p/f grading system there is no real difference in your ability to specialize b/w the two systems. Either way is equally good. Most people really enjoy whatever track they choose. It is a very personal decision.

Don't forget that if you're in the PCC track, there are some extra benefits! You keep the same cadaver throughout anatomy and will have fewer people in your group. PCCers names are also drawn first in selecting 3rd/4th year rotation sites, so you are more likely to get your first choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Pegasus that bit of information I did not know. Do you know when we will be hearing from OU about whether or not we got accepted into the PCC?

They have not started selecting students for PCC yet. I think the next meeting to look at applications is on March 23 (but I dont have the e-mail ni front of me).

One of my best friends went through the PCC and is in his 3rd year. He loved it. BTW, if you do PCC, you will have to do a half-day every week (or maybe every other week) in a "class" during your clinical years. Therefore, your choices of clinical sites are limited to the ones that have two-way video links established with OU. You use the two-way video for your class meetings during clinicals.

Hope that helps.

Willow

Willow,

That is really good to know, do you know which hospitals have such video links established?

Thanks for the info!

BTW, the committee meets to review apps for PCC every 4th Tuesday of the month.

Hospitals with video feeds: It's actually not very "limiting" at all! Dayton, Doctor's in Columbus, the one in Athens, and I *think* also in Cleveland, Toledo, and.....maybe 2 other places? Seems like it was the bigger hospitals in the CORE plus the Athens site which was just added.

Oh...other advantages to PCC....

-You get through gross anatomy in less time
-You learn OMT techniques earlier than the CPC counterparts

On the other hand....

-First year is *all* essay exams
-You have to be able to do research and learn on your own

I've never heard that the PCC students have an advantage in clinical assignments. OU uses a lottery system and, as I understood it, your name is pulled randomly and you are placed according to your preferences and where there is space. Then again, that wasn't a question that I asked my friend specifically.

Good luck to you!

Willow

Straight from OUCOM's website:

"5. At the scheduled time and place that assignments are to be made, individual forms are randomly drawn from an appropriate container by an administrative representative of Academic Affairs. The PCC group will be drawn first until steps 6 and 7 are completed and all PCC students have been assigned to a hospital. Then the names of the remaining students will be drawn.

6. Each student will be "matched" with a CORE hospital in the order of preference indicated on his/her CORE Hospital Ranking Form according to availability of the teaching site when the student's name is drawn. Matching will continue sequentially until all students have been assigned to a CORE hospital."

See the all the rules of the CORE assignment process at:
http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/sservices/Orientation/CHAPGuidelines2000.htm

Straight from this morning's e-mail:

The committe has changed their process and is no longer using a rolling acceptance for PCC. All applications are being held until the final deadline of May 1. At that time, the committee will meet and rank all the applicants. Applicants should hear something before the end of May.

Glad I busted my butt to get that done last night!

Btw, if you didn't know, the PCC has a new director who was appointed during the Christmas break. The former director has moved over to head up the China program.

Willow

Btw, if you didn't know, the PCC has a new director who was appointed during the Christmas break. The former director has moved over to head up the China program.

So that means the PCC has both a new director as well as assistant director as he went to WVSOM to start their PBL curriculum.

Hi folks,
As a second-year PCC, I would like to say that some of your comments are accurate but a few slightly missed the mark. First, don't be mislead by some of the advertising for the program. The PCC doesn't really "better prepare" you for any specific type of medicine. I will say, however, that we spend a good bit more time in clinic and on case study, which may make you a little better at patient encounters. Also, we spend on the average week just about as much time in class as the CPC. I know those schedules they show you have us in class about one day of five, but it's just not accurate. In the first year you have six hours of group learning a week, on top of anatomy labs, histology labs, clinical skills labs, clinical experiences, OMM, and the occassional lecture. So, yeah, you'll be in a class - never fear. And don't worry, there is structure. The PCC curriculum has actually been around longer than the CPC, and although I think its probably time for some revision in the curriculum, the two both cover the same exact material simply at different times and in different ways. Also, it's not just for non-traditional students. I am a traditional student, and I would say that they are probably the majority in every PCC class. However, it seems that the PCC selection committee does like to see some level of maturity in its applicants - this might be why it attracts so many non-traditionals. You will be limited to CORE sights, but you will pick first. You can go to Columbus, Toledo, Dayton, Cleveland, or Athens. One last thing...don't worry about our two previous directors leaving. Last year our assistant director went to WVSOM to create a PBL and this year our director got called up to NYCOM to be an assistant dean. So maybe the recruitment of our faculty is a testament to our curriculum's strength. Don't worry, we still have many great faculty here running the show, and regardless, you'll end up doing most of the work. Good luck folks, I have to study for my year 2 PCC multiple choice exam (yeah, sorry, it's essay in year 1).