OUCOM Rotation Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsP for real

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was wondering what the rotation schedule was for OUCOM in third and fourth year. I look online but couldn't find it.

Members don't see this ad.

Here you go buddy:

Year 3 and 4 rotations: (surgery rotations can be done internationally in Honduras, other rotations available in Ecuador through the joint program with OU.)

819 OSTEOPATHIC FAMILY MEDICINE CLERKSHIP (6 weeks)

860 INTRODUCTION TO HOSPITAL CARE/ORIENTATION (1 week

861 INTERNAL MEDICINE (12 weeks

862 GENERAL SURGERY AND SELECTIVE SURGERY (8 weeks

863 PEDIATRICS (4 weeks)

864 WOMEN'S HEALTH/OBGYN (4 weeks

865 EMERGENCY MEDICINE (4 weeks

867 CORE ASSISTANT DEAN'S CLINICAL SELECTIVE (these electives must be within the CORE) (8 weeks)

868 PSYCHIATRIC MEDICINE (4 weeks

891 CLINICAL ELECTIVE (these electives can be anywhere) (20 weeks)

892 FAMILY MEDICINE 2 (4 weeks

893 GERIATRIC MEDICINE (2 weeks

895 HEALTH CARE MANAGEMENT (only open to 4th years) (2 weeks

OCOM 896 – Palliative Care (only open to 4th years) (1 week)

more info can be found in here: http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/Admissions/catalogs/catalog2009-11.pdf

Awesome thanks for the link. I am also wondering if the order is subjective to the students interest to some extent? Excuse my ignorance, just tying to figure it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the catalog only the palliative medicine and healthcare management rotations are open to 4th years. The rest and even the elective rotations can be fit in to your third years. I think the ordering varies with each core site as well as your own preference. Obviously the 1 week orientation thing comes first.

Don't forget that the school is now called OUHCOM and not OUCOM. ;)

New name, same awesome medical education.

Don't forget that the school is now called OUHCOM and not OUCOM. ;)

New name, same awesome medical education.

Can't forget that 105 (or was it 108) million dollars haha.

So I am assuming you liked it there? I just got accepted a couple weeks ago and am still waiting on one of my MD interviews (University of Louisville) to give me the final decision. It will be a tough choice even if I get accepted there for sure though.

Can't forget that 105 (or was it 108) million dollars haha.

So I am assuming you liked it there? I just got accepted a couple weeks ago and am still waiting on one of my MD interviews (University of Louisville) to give me the final decision. It will be a tough choice even if I get accepted there for sure though.

Yes, the multi-million donation was nice. Now 50 lucky students get to go to the Columbus campus (in 2014ish) instead of Athens. Although I loved Athens, my wife hated it. While I was busy studying medicine she had to take care of the kids, and there are very few things in Athens for a young family to do, unless you want to take your toddler to the bar. We ended up going to the parks almost daily.

It's funny, my situation was similar to yours. I actually gave up an MD spot to go to OU, believe it or not, and have absolutely no regrets at all. I like to call OU the best kept secret in osteopathic medical education, because here on SDN you don't hear much about OU, but the education is amazing, and the hospital system for rotations is most likely the best in the country among DO schools.

I will be in a similar position as you Shinken, and I'm glad to read your post. I turned down several MD acceptances, undesirable locations, to attend OU next fall due to my interest in staying in Ohio.

That said, with a family, how practical is it to expect to get the desired rotation spot of your choice? We are wanting to start a family in the next few years, and thus it would be ideal of us to live in Columbus for M3-M4 due to family help.

with a family, how practical is it to expect to get the desired rotation spot of your choice? We are wanting to start a family in the next few years, and thus it would be ideal of us to live in Columbus for M3-M4 due to family help.

Well, I don't think I can give you good advice on this since our class was the first that used the computer-based "match" for assigning rotation sites, and I'm not sure if the process has changed since then. Perhaps a current student that has more up to date info can help you.

This year, the vast majority (95% or so) got assignments in their top 3 choices out of the core for third and fourth year. Roughly 80% or so got their number 1 choice. A few students wound up in their 5th-7th (out of 12) choice. It's a computer lottery where you submit a rank list of all 12 rotation sites, and an algorithm tries to put as many people as possible as high as possible on their list.

On the topic of the Columbus Campus, I heard they were in town scouting spots.. Has anyone heard if a decision on exact location has been made yet?

I see that building every day when I drive to work. It's 10 minutes from my house..

Ugh, the decisions become more difficult every day.. lol

I recently visited OU-HCOM and I loved it! I'm a pre-med student and I will definitely be applying to OU-HCOM. I loved the atmosphere and the staff that I met. It was a great visit. Like someone before me said, I think OU-HCOM is a hidden treasure. lmao

This listisn't entirely accurate,but pretty close:

Here you go buddy:

Year 3 and 4 rotations: (surgery rotations can be done internationally in Honduras, other rotations available in Ecuador through the joint program with OU.) Only special electives can be done out of the country and the credit hours are very limited, the summer between years 1 and 2 are when most students go to ecuador, etc, and I dont believe they count for credit (you pay out of pocketfor the experience)

819 OSTEOPATHIC FAMILY MEDICINE CLERKSHIP (6 weeks)

860 INTRODUCTION TO HOSPITAL CARE/ORIENTATION (1 week

861 INTERNAL MEDICINE (12 weeks True internal medicine is 4 weeks, then you have a mandatory 8 weeks in internal med or specialties (rheum, endo, GI, outpatient IM, etc, etc)

862 GENERAL SURGERY AND SELECTIVE SURGERY (8 weeks 4 weeks general surgery required, then what you want (ortho, ENT, etc)

863 PEDIATRICS (4 weeks)

864 WOMEN’S HEALTH/OBGYN (4 weeks

865 EMERGENCY MEDICINE (4 weeks

867 CORE ASSISTANT DEAN’S CLINICAL SELECTIVE (these electives must be within the CORE) (8 weeks)

868 PSYCHIATRIC MEDICINE (4 weeks

891 CLINICAL ELECTIVE (these electives can be anywhere) (20 weeks) There is actually a limit to how many credits are outside of the state (but its not really restricting) the rotations cannot be anywhere. OU has a list of approved docs for you to rotate with, If you want to set up a rotation at say.... NYU, then you must find a faculty there that can fill out papers to get OUCOM faculty status. IF they have a contract with NYU saying they cannot be faculty elsewhere than you are SOL. It is a way to try to keep you in the CORE (which is a great system, but still makes me angry.) This is sometimes a problem at University Hospitals at Case Western. Sometimes their faculty isn't allowed to get OU's desired status and despite UH offering you a spot, you cannot go for credit (we were told you can rotate there for NO credit! Also this paperwork is technically subject to approval, so you can do everything correct and have it denied, I don't think it happens, but they reserve the right to deny it.

892 FAMILY MEDICINE 2 (4 weeks

893 GERIATRIC MEDICINE (2 weeks This is a 4 week rotation

895 HEALTH CARE MANAGEMENT (only open to 4th years) (2 weeks

OCOM 896 – Palliative Care (only open to 4th years) (1 week) This is not only for 4th years anymore. It is also combined with 1 week palliative and 1 week Hospice... for some reason they are show up as different courses, yet are completed one after the other.

more info can be found in here: http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/Admissions/catalogs/catalog2009-11.pdf

I am not saying that they rule with an iron fist, but I was shocked this summer to find out how difficult they seem make it to truly do electives anywhere. I don't understand why I need to get all this paperwork filled out for faculty status to rotate at say University of Wisconsin, etc. It isn't like I'm setting up some fake rotation so I can sleep all day and get credits. The CORE hospitals are fantastic, and I am thankful that our school has its clinical sites locked down and we don't have to move at all during 3rd and 4th year, but I too was under the impression electives were unrestricted to any legitimate program in the nation.

Thanks Dubville. I copied the list straight out of the admissions handbook, its awesome that you clarified it though.

The stuff you say about a hard time getting clinical electives outside the CORE is kind of a downer. Is it really that hard to find a faculty member at an elective site to sign under those conditions? Also so theoretically can you do all 20 weeks of clinical electives outside of Ohio? I heard rumors of an 8 week limit or something to that extent.

But looking at last years match list that really didn't affect residency placements that much for OU grads. They were all over places outside of the CORE.

Honestly, I don't think it is that difficult for you to schedule rotations outside of the CORE. Also the list of "pre-approved" preceptors for electives aren't limited to CORE hospitals, but most are in the tri-state area. I just had no clue up until a few months ago that you can't set up an elective at University of XYZ's anesthesia (or whatever) and have it immediately approved because it's at a well established place. Students do alot of electives at cleveland clinic, ohio state, Univ. of Kent, Indiana, or even some have gone to california state schools. However, the paperwork can be pretty extensive, and sometimes contracts interfere.
You cannot do all 20 weeks out of Ohio. I think it is 8,10, or 12 weeks. Most electives are 2 week courses, so it shouldn't be too limiting (most electives have the choice of 2 vs 4 weeks).
Yes, alot of students match outside the CORE. I think it is the most underrated school on SDN. I actually thought the match from last year was worse than the previous two as far as "big name programs", but as long as the student were happy, I could care less.
I have really liked OU, and again think we have a nice setup, but am just doing some venting.

I don't really have much to say about OUCOM (OUHCOM now...?) but I went to OU for undergrad... And I swear, if you go there and don't go to Donkey you and I will have words. Easily the best coffeeshop I've ever been to and great place to study... I did about 80% of my MCAT studying there.

I doubt it is some secret that med students don't know about, but I would strongly consider going to OUHCOM just for Donkey alone. Heed my words.