OUHCOM, PCOM, CCOM, or TUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which to attend?

• OUHCOM

Votes: 36 46.2%
  • TUCOM

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • PCOM

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • CCOM

Votes: 8 10.3%

• Total voters

brownwolf100

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one should I attend!? I've been lucky enough to have been accepted to all 4. I'm an Ohio resident. My biggest concern is keeping my options open for specializing. I don't see myself wanting to go into primary care. Considering anesthesiology, EM, psych, or derm as a longg shot. Which one would I likely have the best chance of keeping my options open for specializing?

Members don't see this ad.

Which one should I attend!? I've been lucky enough to have been accepted to all 4. I'm an Ohio resident. My biggest concern is keeping my options open for specializing. I don't see myself wanting to go into primary care. Considering anesthesiology, EM, psych, or derm as a longg shot. Which one would I likely have the best chance of keeping my options open for specializing?
Would you be able to weigh in @Goro ? What would you do in my shoes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to the cheapest one.
Well I figure Ohio would be the cheapest all around, but I'm most concerned with having the most doors open for specializing. I know the schools are all solid, but I'm worried about closing doors

PCOM has a good affiliation with their own residencies but being from Ohio I would say OUCOM. They will take you anywhere you want as well

If you have those options, I would cross out TUCOM (wasn't impressed with facilities) and CCOM (way more expensive than the rest...unless you're HPSP). In the end, I think you should pick whether you want to be connected in the North East (PCOM) or your home state. can't see you going wrong with either one of those two. Overall though, your success will be based more so on how well you do in school/boards/audition rotations.

Which TUCOM? NY or CA?

I'm leaning to OH. PCOM, being one of the older schools, has more people going into Primary Care. I think CCOM does the same, but honestly can't remember. Just browse though their match lists for the % PC vs non-PC.

Would you be able to weigh in @Goro ? What would you do in my shoes?

Well I figure Ohio would be the cheapest all around, but I'm most concerned with having the most doors open for specializing. I know the schools are all solid, but I'm worried about closing doors

The doors won't be closed if all the schools are solid. Everything is going to depend on you. Be a rock star at a "lesser" school and you'll be fine. Be a dud at the upper echelon $60K school and you'll likely be heading exactly where you don't want to be. It's all on you and the school is your support system.

Which TUCOM? NY or CA?

I'm leaning to OH. PCOM, being one of the older schools, has more people going into Primary Care. I think CCOM does the same, but honestly can't remember. Just browse though their match lists for the % PC vs non-PC.

Thank you for the input. I got into TUCOM CA. It seems that all of the schools match students into various specialties. I thinking maybe OH at this point to save on costs. I know their mission empathizes primary care, but it seems like their students go into whatever they want. I realize I'll have to put in the legwork myself regardless of where I go, but I know the school also plays a role.

I vote for OUHCOM
I'm sure you also got the fin-aid email from CCOM a few days ago about the new estimated cost of attendance being $101,000 PER YEAR. If that doesn't make OUHCOM a great choice, I don't know what will!

I vote for OUHCOM
I'm sure you also got the fin-aid email from CCOM a few days ago about the new estimated cost of attendance being $101,000 PER YEAR. If that doesn't make OUHCOM a great choice, I don't know what will!
That's pretty cray cray.

Without a shadow of a doubt I would recommend OUHCOM.

No doors are going to be closed to you since it's a great school and the tuition is fantastic if you're instate.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is the OU-HCOM affiliation with Cleveland Clinic one of the Best for a DO school in country?

Is the OU-HCOM affiliation with Cleveland Clinic one of the Best for a DO school in country?

Small class size with dedicated faculty who teach a strong teaching hospital is something many DOs cannot say they have. It's a great resource that you should not give up.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not biased or anything—OUHCOM has met and surpassed my expectations. Our graduates go on to places like CCF and Case Western, and there are several students in my class with PhDs or PharmDs (oh, and our anatomy professor is JHU-trained).

Reactions: 1 users
The choice is obviously between OU-HCOM and PCOM. Really, the choice should just be OU-HCOM because of IS tuition and the fact that there will be little if any appreciable difference in specializing options coming from either school.

Seriously. PCOM MedNET is big, but CORE is also huge, add in the many many ACGME accredited programs that are open to DOs in Ohio, and chances are you'd be better off there than anywhere else.

Reactions: 1 user
I would go to OU-HCOM. The orthopedic surgeon I work for went to OU-HCOM.

Reactions: 1 user
I think OP already matriculated, but going off of what @hallowmann said, I think CORE is actually bigger as well. That, combined with being a public institution, combined with being in-state, combined with wanting to practice in Ohio..... OP is lucky. Loll

OP, which school did you choose?
It must be OUHCOM!

Not sure why PCOM is winning. OU-HCOM is by far the best choice out of those.
Edit: Apparently a necrobumped post.

Definitely OUHCOM.

Plot Twist: OP instead went to LUCOM

gc.gif