OUHCOM v CUSOM v KYCOM v LECOM-B v LECOM-SH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reach123

Reaction score
Debating between these five schools. LECOM is the cheapest and CUSOM is the most expensive. If any one has any advice or information on any school please share!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that if you're looking at rankings or prestige (which imo is definitely not the most important thing at all) OUHCOM may be your best bet for multiple reasons. It is connected to a well established state school and has great opportunities to research. I don't know much about their match rates but I am betting they are also great! I haven't heard the greatest things about LECOM besides the cheap tuition (you can read about it here: ). I love CUSOM and it is my top DO choice, so I am a bit biased there. I think CUSOM is very newly established but has a welcoming environment and great COMLEX scores and match rates. I would stay away just because of the high tuition though. OUHCOM is a great school and you can avoid the highest tuition. I don't know anything about KYCOM.

Ultimately, it comes down to how each of these schools make you feel. It may sound cheesy but you wouldn't want to go to a medical school that would make you miserable. Pick the best learning environment for you!

Thank you for the replies!
I loved KYCOM. I’m concerned about the rotations from what I have been reading on SDN.
One of my concerns with CUSOM is that it didn’t seem like much housing was near campus.
I haven’t interviewed yet at LECOM-Bradenton or LECOM-SH but they are scheduled for now. They do have cheap tuition but I have also read poor things regarding the school.
For OU-HCOM it looks like tuition rises during years three and four because of summer according to their 2018-2019 Educational Budget. I am not sure whether most schools raise there tuition during year 3 and 4 but it seems odd to me because it is during clinical rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that if you're looking at rankings or prestige (which imo is definitely not the most important thing at all) OUHCOM may be your best bet for multiple reasons. It is connected to a well established state school and has great opportunities to research. I don't know much about their match rates but I am betting they are also great! I haven't heard the greatest things about LECOM besides the cheap tuition (you can read about it here: ). I love CUSOM and it is my top DO choice, so I am a bit biased there. I think CUSOM is very newly established but has a welcoming environment and great COMLEX scores and match rates. I would stay away just because of the high tuition though. OUHCOM is a great school and you can avoid the highest tuition. I don't know anything about KYCOM.

Ultimately, it comes down to how each of these schools make you feel. It may sound cheesy but you wouldn't want to go to a medical school that would make you miserable. Pick the best learning environment for you!

I am a first year at LECOM and would be happy to answer questions for you! I know Ive only been here a few months but I have nothing but good things to say about this place.

My alma mater is Ohio Univeristy- and I chose against it due to some insight from a current MS2 there at the Dublin campus. They have recently changed their curriculum and students that are in year two were the first year for the full switch. Faculty is still adjusting to how to teach and how to test in this new manner- it is very similar to case/problem based curriculum which requires a lot of at home learning and in class quizzing and then application of knowledge.

I currently attend LECOM and would be happy to answer questions you may have. I feel we get a bad rap here on SDN but my experience has been great. Supportive staff who genuinely want you to succeed and do well on boards. Yeah we have a dress code but it just prepares you for your future and gives you a leg up on professionalism.

My alma mater is Ohio Univeristy- and I chose against it due to some insight from a current MS2 there at the Dublin campus. They have recently changed their curriculum and students that are in year two were the first year for the full switch. Faculty is still adjusting to how to teach and how to test in this new manner- it is very similar to case/problem based curriculum which requires a lot of at home learning and in class quizzing and then application of knowledge.

I currently attend LECOM and would be happy to answer questions you may have. I feel we get a bad rap here on SDN but my experience has been great. Supportive staff who genuinely want you to succeed and do well on boards. Yeah we have a dress code but it just prepares you for your future and gives you a leg up on professionalism.
EDIT- if you go LECOM go LECOM Erie! The other branches I feel are not as good - I cant speak for bradenton tho.

My ranking would be:
LECOM>OUHCOM>CUSOM>KYCOM

Nothing beats a cheaper price tag, and it will matter a lot once you actually have to repay your loans. Plus LECOM has a very extensive GME in all kinds of specialties which beat all the other schools. In terms of bad rap about the school on SDN, you'll find all kinds of bad things being talked about on pretty much any schools here if you look for it, so really no school is perfect (especially DO schools). LECOM will get you were you want to be if you work for it and there's no doubt about it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Have you seen the GME list for OUHCOM? Not to mention research opportunities, the effect that GME has on the clinical years, etc.
Well, I just looked up OUHCOM GME, and I still think LECOM has a more robust one. See for yourself. Although, that wouldn't even matter because my reason to ranking LECOM higher is simply because of the price tag.

Well, I just looked up OUHCOM GME, and I still think LECOM has a more robust one. See for yourself. Although, that wouldn't even matter because my reason to ranking LECOM higher is simply because of the price tag.

It’s not just the amount as the fact that OUHCOM students are often given first preference at many of their programs. I wouldn’t take any DO school except, maybe PCOM, over a state school. The resources are simply more robust. And the price at LECOM isn’t worth it IMO.

I have heard bad things about OU with their recent change in curriculum which is why I am debating OU. OU is also not the cheapest out of this group even though I am in-state.

Thank you for the replies!
I loved KYCOM. I’m concerned about the rotations from what I have been reading on SDN.
One of my concerns with CUSOM is that it didn’t seem like much housing was near campus.
I haven’t interviewed yet at LECOM-Bradenton or LECOM-SH but they are scheduled for now. They do have cheap tuition but I have also read poor things regarding the school.
For OU-HCOM it looks like tuition rises during years three and four because of summer according to their 2018-2019 Educational Budget. I am not sure whether most schools raise there tuition during year 3 and 4 but it seems odd to me because it is during clinical rotations.

KYCOM rotation sites seem to change from year to year but mostly due to feedback provided from students. If there is a site that doesn’t provide those students with optimal instruction and opportunities, they will remove their connections with that site. They’re also very open to students establishing their own core rotations for 3rd year if you wish you go somewhere outside of what is listed (provided you do most of the heavy lifting when setting it up). If you have any questions about KYCOM feel free to shoot me a PM.

I have heard bad things about OU with their recent change in curriculum which is why I am debating OU. OU is also not the cheapest out of this group even though I am in-state.

i talked to many students during interview day and I can’t say I agree with this. Plus we will be the third class to go through this curriculum so things should only be getting better