Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Our Worst MCAT Enemies!

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by CoffeeCat, Aug 6, 2002.

1. CoffeeCat

CoffeeCat SDN Angel 10+ Year Member

Jun 3, 2001
    All right, this is the spot to list your worst enemies. Mine? They are:

The Kidney
    Optics
    Electricity/Magnetism

One of each, I guess. Any suggestions to make these easier?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. WonderBoy

WonderBoy Physician 10+ Year Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Midwest
    Thermo, Thermo & Thermo :mad:

Electricity/Magnetism, I hope I never have to look at another circuit again for as long as I live.

Solutions

Genetics, just plain annoying.

4. AntGod22

AntGod22 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 9, 2001
    NJ
    Mine is physics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate you physics.

5. UCLA Paratrooper

UCLA Paratrooper Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 13, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Carbonyl Chemistry

and mostly...

Female Reproductive System and their Menstrual Cycle!!!!

UCLA Paratrooper

6. Lavndrrose

Lavndrrose Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Feb 9, 2002
    :laugh: It looks like physics is the winner!

My worst MCAT enemy is the time constraint!!! :mad:

7. AlternateSome1

AlternateSome1 Burnt Out Physician 10+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2002
    NY
    Hormones I would say. They just keep raging and I simply can't handle them. :love:

~AS1~

8. efjayen

efjayen Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 24, 2001
    ucb
    PHYSICS!!!!! and metabolic pathways

9. Doctor Octopus

Doctor Octopus Hospitalist 10+ Year Member

May 23, 2002
    "Picksburgh"
    Falling asleep the night before was my enemy. I watched helplessly as the hours went by on my clock, knowing that I was blowing it. I ended up getting ~2 hours of sleep. It messed me up a little on Physical, but otherwise things turned out okay.

10. vixen

vixen I like members 10+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2000
    upstate ny
    can I vent too? I have my DAT in a couple of weeks....

time contraint! :mad:
    acids and bases
    reproduction! +pissed+

Ok thanks :)

11. The persons in the test center who either keeps making noises with their chairs or feels the need to tap on the desk or crumple their test booklet.

12. Actually this is a concern I have as well. Has anyone tried any of those sleeping pills? I heard that they can leave you with a bad feeling the morning afer. Anybody have experience with these pills?

13. Biffer

Biffer The good times doc 10+ Year Member

Dec 21, 2001
    philly
    SOLN chemistry!! I don't know why... maybe I should just review a little more-but its been a hangup on previous prac.mcats.

as for sleeping, just go on a long run/bike ride/swim/etc. the day before and you should sleep like a babe. No need for sleeping pills-you may wake up very groggy the next morning.. OR, your anxiety thats keeping you awake may trump the effects of the sleeping pill only to keep you slightly awake during the night with even poorer results.--This happened to me before an orgo exam last year..

peace,
    biffer

14. Wahoo07

Wahoo07 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Definitely do NOT take sleeping pills!! Even if the box says you won't be groggy in the morning, you don't want to take any chances. The worst thing that can happen is being groggy/sleepy/tired on the morning of that test. I got maybe 6 hours of sleep and really struggled to keep awake during verbal. :sleep: I ended up not being able to read the last passage and had to guess. Thankfully, I got a decent score, but I know I probably could have done better if I was more aware. Just practice going to sleep at a decent hour and waking up early during the week of the test.

15. lola

lola Bovine Member 7+ Year Member

Mar 22, 2002
    california
    i hate physics!!!!!

are you guys memorizing a lot of ochem reactions? i feel lik it's kind of not worth it & that we will only need to know a few of the basic ones. what do y'all think???

16. tsman

tsman Junior Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Maryland
    I agree that orgo reactions is not very high yield...outside of basic E1/E2 and SN1/SN2 I have rarely found a question where knowing a reaction would moire quickly lead you to the right answer.