Out of Network (OON) Billing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bourne

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to learn about out of network billing as one position I'm looking at in the Dallas area (eat what you kill) has contracts with some insurance companies and does out of network billing for others.

I've been trying to learn about out of network billing and have gone through the forum and spoke with our billing person (we don't do OON billing though).

Perhaps this thread could help educate forum members.

Not getting into the details, is there a rule-of-thumb as to what kind of collected unit value you can expect in the Dallas area if you have a tenacious billing department?

Other than that I'd like to hear more how it works through the process as I'm pretty clueless. So logistically, how do you do it? (do the patients have to sign anything upfront, what instructions/notices do you send to the patient when you bill them, do the patients have to call their insurance company or sign some document upon receiving your bill, do you get check from insurance company or does patient get check and possibly keep it)?
Can you do this with people that have HMO plans?
Do you get grief for this from surgeons or surgery centers/hospitals?
Do you end up getting any payment from patient or do you usually get enough from insurance company?

Here's my best guess as to what happens from what I've learned (and if I'm way off this is why I'm asking the question!):

1. You do a 5-unit case and bill $200 unit out of network for someone with HMO or PPO
2. You send bill to insurance company. Let's say they pay nothing because deductible is not met.
3. You get no payment from insurance company so you send bill to patient.
4. You instruct patient not to call surgeon or facility when they get bill but rather call your office with billing issues. Your billers instruct them on what they need to do to get bill "reprocessed" by their insurance company toward "in network" deductible such as attesting that "there was no available in-network provider", "they didn't have a choice of anesthesia" or whatever is needed for that particular insurance company
5. Insurance company sees this and contacts billing company making offer to settle account at less than billed rate based on "usual and customary fees" or any other reason they can make up.
6. You rely on your tenacious billing people to get your $200/unit. What is your experience with this?
7. If patient's deductible is not meant then what happens at this point? If the deductible is met what happens? Insurance company pays you, insurance company cuts check to patient?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I"m in Texas (not Dallas), but usually it's in the consent that the patient is responsible for anything insurance doesn't pay. Of course, patients cannot always check in advance that the anesthesiologist is in network, but if they can check it out in advance they should. I will be doing that when I have a procedure in Sept.

Patients in Texas who receive an out of network bill >$500 can request mediation where the insurance company and out of network physician/facility fight it out. It's required by law that information on how to request mediation be included on the patient's bill. Not sure how many patients read their bill close enough to understand this, but they do have that option. If I ever get a surprise out of network bill, that's what I would do.

I have a sibling who gave birth in January of this year, and she received an out of network bill from an anesthesiologist. I told her to request mediation, and she did. She hasn't seen another bill since requesting mediation. I guess insurance and the physician worked it out.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Most out of network billers eventually settle X amount. Of course there are some outlayers who will refuse and go after the patient.

The game for out of network billers is to submit the claims as late as possible.

Say 20k out of network. Pathology, radiology, etc let them bill out of network first. Run up the out of network deductible and by the time they hit the 20k. Mind you they haven’t settled anything with the pathologist, rads or any other out of network provider.

So by the time you bill. Insurance just cut you the $400/unit check as out of network anesthesiologist. You in the clear (usually). Easy. Happens a lot in Texas.

Most out of network billers eventually settle X amount. Of course there are some outlayers who will refuse and go after the patient.

The game for out of network billers is to submit the claims as late as possible.

Say 20k out of network. Pathology, radiology, etc let them bill out of network first. Run up the out of network deductible and by the time they hit the 20k. Mind you they haven’t settled anything with the pathologist, rads or any other out of network provider.

So by the time you bill. Insurance just cut you the $400/unit check as out of network anesthesiologist. You in the clear (usually). Easy. Happens a lot in Texas.
400$/unit, I need to move there.

Problem is, everyone has caught on to the submit your bill late game - including the hospitals. Now it’s like a game of chicken to see who can submit their bill last.

The other thing is that even if the insurance company pays the claim without a fight, they will often send the check to the patient who they then expect to pay you. Many patients will just pocket the money, and it’s not easy to get it outta them. My old group starting 1099’ing patients for that “unreported income” if they failed to pay us.

Reactions: 1 user
Seems easier and more honest (from all perspectives, but especially for the patient) to have all providers be in network. What’s the holdup with you being in network with your major insurers? I understand if they’re offering you a miserable rate, but there’s a lot of ground covered between $0/unit and $400/unit.

Usually what I find to be the case in these situations, if we are being honest, is someone trying to game the system for more money. Sounds like AMC nonsense to me.

I understand that all patients should research who’s in and out of network before a scheduled surgery. To me though, it seems incredibly honerous from a patient perspective.

I say this as someone who’s been in a group that went out of network for a short period of time with a major insurer. It was a total pain in the ass for everyone, but mostly for us.

United is going going out of network with everyone right now banking on a surprise medical bill being passed. What was this private group supposed to do when United comes at them with a 60% cut. Pay attention to the article mentioning how high United’s profits are right now.

Wouldn’t worry about Texas. Texas is basically all USAP right now, and they too are out of network with United so don’t see out of network in Texas going anywhere soon.

Here is the reality on the ground:

I want to be in-network as a small group or 2 providers. I contact the insurance companies and they offer me $45-$55 per unit. They tell me we are not big enough or do enough hospital cases to warrant more money than that rate. They tell me to "take it or leave it" but I am not getting a higher rate.

So, I bill OON at $150 per unit. The Insurance carriers then are willing to negotiate my rate to $80-$100 per unit which is the customary rate. The patient gets caught in the middle and may even have to call the Anesthesia group to discuss a reduced fee as well as contact the insurance carrier.

This is the "game" right now at many practices. I do agree that a new law limiting OON billing will be passed forcing insurance carriers to pay a fair rate like $80 per unit. But, the insurance carriers are hoping to use political influence to get that rate to $50 per unit. We shall see what actually comes out of Congress in 2021.

AMCs like USAP were likely collecting at $135-$145 per unit in Network; Insurance carrier like UHC want to pay more like $90 per unit.

Here is the reality on the ground:

I want to be in-network as a small group or 2 providers. I contact the insurance companies and they offer me $45-$55 per unit. They tell me we are not big enough or do enough hospital cases to warrant more money than that rate. They tell me to "take it or leave it" but I am not getting a higher rate.

So, I bill OON at $150 per unit. The Insurance carriers then are willing to negotiate my rate to $80-$100 per unit which is the customary rate. The patient gets caught in the middle and may even have to call the Anesthesia group to discuss a reduced fee as well as contact the insurance carrier.

This is the "game" right now at many practices. I do agree that a new law limiting OON billing will be passed forcing insurance carriers to pay a fair rate like $80 per unit. But, the insurance carriers are hoping to use political influence to get that rate to $50 per unit. We shall see what actually comes out of Congress in 2021.

AMCs like USAP were likely collecting at $135-$145 per unit in Network; Insurance carrier like UHC want to pay more like $90 per unit.
Can I ask how you found out what the "customary rate" is? Where is this information found?

Can I ask how you found out what the "customary rate" is? Where is this information found?

They know the average billing rate in your area.

Reactions: 1 users