Billing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Simba1711

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys do your billing ? I work in pp and use epic for our emr. We print out the billing anesthesia record from epic and staple it to our billing slip. Then send it to a billing company who takes a percentage and bills for us. I feel like this is extremely inefficient since everything we write on the billing slip is already recorded on epic and a huge waste of paper. We also have had rare chances that billing company makes mistake or the billing slip is missing. Just curious if there is a better alternative.

Members don't see this ad.

How do you guys do your billing ? I work in pp and use epic for our emr. We print out the billing anesthesia record from epic and staple it to our billing slip. Then send it to a billing company who takes a percentage and bills for us. I feel like this is extremely inefficient since everything we write on the billing slip is already recorded on epic and a huge waste of paper. We also have had rare chances that billing company makes mistake or the billing slip is missing. Just curious if there is a better alternative.

Your billing company should be able to bill without any paper. Maybe look into a new company

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

The billing people should have a limited access epic account, and the ability to run reports to use for billing.

They probably didn’t feel like dealing with the “cost” to track down different sites to get access, and retrain people to new workflow; instead they put the burden on you guys just to keep everything the same.

Force them to stop being lazy and retrain to use the EPIC tools. Yes this means IT might make the billers do stupid onboarding training sessions that takes them a few hours/days. It actually saves them time in the long run.

Edit: removed identifying information.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Yeah that’s a good. Thanks for the input. I’m a pre partner so I’ll bring it up to the partners. I’m not sure how open they’ll be but I think this is such an ancient way of doing things.should be less time intensive and better for the environment.

You should scan the printed docs, save it on usb drives and mail it to them.

• Haha
My group has the same workflow, and the system uses EPIC. However, despite repeated attempts to obtain the EPIC access for our billing company, the system absolutely refuses to allow access. They also refuse to let us save the needed documents to an encrypted drive to then securely upload.

Hopefully your system is not as obstructionist.

My group has the same workflow, and the system uses EPIC. However, despite repeated attempts to obtain the EPIC access for our billing company, the system absolutely refuses to allow access. They also refuse to let us save the needed documents to an encrypted drive to then securely upload.

Hopefully your system is not as obstructionist.
50% chance that IT is incompetent and don’t understand the need; 50% chance that they offered your billing company access if people took the onboarding training and your billing company refused, and instead is telling you “they refused to give us access.”

Go sort out which one it is, and then either:
1) send an email to the chief medical informatics officer/head of IT asking for access, stating that if the billing company started surcharging because of lack of access, you expect the hospital to cover it. (Or they can just grant access and not this stuff get escalated to administration.)
2) express displeasure to the billing company that they misrepresented the situation, and have them “make it right”

50% chance that IT is incompetent and don’t understand the need; 50% chance that they offered your billing company access if people took the onboarding training and your billing company refused, and instead is telling you “they refused to give us access.”

Go sort out which one it is, and then either:
1) send an email to the chief medical informatics officer/head of IT asking for access, stating that if the billing company started surcharging because of lack of access, you expect the hospital to cover it. (Or they can just grant access and not this stuff get escalated to administration.)
2) express displeasure to the billing company that they misrepresented the situation, and have them “make it right”
This may be true. This all happened well before I got here and I wouldn't be surprised if noone pushed the issue again since then. Now that I'm partner this is one of the things I'll be working on.