Out Of School And Dont Remember A Lot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buffettfan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its been a few years since I have been in school and do not really remember much of basic bio and orgo and chem topics. I am sure I can work little extra at the start to catch up but how screwed will I be? Do teachers just assume you know all of the basic bio chem and things and just dive into lecture the first day? I was hoping to enjoy the summer before I start school but I dont want to be screwed when school starts.

Members don't see this ad.

Its been a few years since I have been in school and do not really remember much of basic bio and orgo and chem topics. I am sure I can work little extra at the start to catch up but how screwed will I be? Do teachers just assume you know all of the basic bio chem and things and just dive into lecture the first day? I was hoping to enjoy the summer before I start school but I dont want to be screwed when school starts.

This belongs in pre-allo -- this is an issue that does not affect current allo students.

That being said, most med schools do not require biochem, and there is very little basic bio, orgo or chem in med school. Just plan to hit the ground running and look up whatever you don't remember as you need it. It would be foolish to spend your MS0 summer reviewing anything college related.

Just chill and enjoy your summer!! :thumbup: They don't expect you to know everything. You won't be screwed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Or, more accurately, there is nothing particularly useful you can do in terms of review and so you will be more screwed if you cheat yourself out of the summer.

Exactly what I meant, you're just more eloquent :D

99% of what's learned in med school is brand new information for everybody anyway. So not knowing a lot of chem and bio isn't going to put you at much of a disadvantage compared to the rest of the students.

you'll be surprised how much you can recall or re-learn without much effort. I was out of school for 4 years before med school and thought i was screwed going in, but the transition wasn't that bad at all. Especially since, as student101 just said, a lot of the info they throw at you is going to be brand new anyway.

I wouldn't worry about. heck, i'm IN school and still don't remember anything. everything goes away after an exam. :D

I'm with you, man. I'm also very nervous, but it's just school again. I think I'll be alright. Enjoy your summer, and we'll hit the ground running together.

Good luck.