Out of state friendly D.O. schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yas710

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Go for all the NY DO schools. There is a surplus of residencies at those institutions so that help OOS applicants. Avoid rural institutions unless you have a connection with the area. Apply to all the ones in major US cities generally. LECOM is OOS friendly more so than other rural institutions. Avoid schools in coal mine communities unless you have some family affiliation. That should help narrow your list down.

Members don't see this ad :)
NSU-COM is about 50/50 instate/OOS.

Touro COM-NY and CCOM are OOS friendly from first-hand experience.

i agree with you.ouro COM-NY and CCOM are OOS friendly from first-hand experience.
6.gif

Touro COM-NY and CCOM are OOS friendly from first-hand experience.

Do you know if UMNDJ and PCOM is OOS friendly? I'm a sophomore planning to apply to the following after graduation: UMNDJ, PCOM, LECOM, NYCOM, Touro-COM-NY, CCOM, PCOM, MSUCOM, AZCOM. Probably some instate MDs: Hofstra, Upstate, Downstate, Albany, Buffalo, Rochester.

Current stats: 3.35 cgpa (will jump probably to 3.5 by graduation, schedule gets really easy for my last 1.5 years), 3.45 sgpa (will probably be 3.5-3.6 by graduation and 3.3-3.4 for AAMC). Decent ECs.

I dont think MSUCOM is OOS friendly. I checked their numbers from the 2011-2012 matriculation, and out of the class size of 321, they had 281 in state students, and 40 OOS students.

Ok good to know. Lately, I've been looking into UMDNJ/PCOM/CCOM/NYCOM based on my current stats, I hope to raise them so I have a good chance in getting into UMDNJ which I am on the low end for

Do you know if UMNDJ and PCOM is OOS friendly? I'm a sophomore planning to apply to the following after graduation: UMNDJ, PCOM, LECOM, NYCOM, Touro-COM-NY, CCOM, PCOM, MSUCOM, AZCOM. Probably some instate MDs: Hofstra, Upstate, Downstate, Albany, Buffalo, Rochester.

Current stats: 3.35 cgpa (will jump probably to 3.5 by graduation, schedule gets really easy for my last 1.5 years), 3.45 sgpa (will probably be 3.5-3.6 by graduation and 3.3-3.4 for AAMC). Decent ECs.

UMDNJ is not OOS friendly, as a general rule. NYIT-COM is the same, at least 80% in-state from what I last saw.

Obviously if you're from NY, the SUNYs will be your best bet on the MD side. I wish I has NY residency at the time of applications...

UMDNJ is not OOS friendly, as a general rule. NYIT-COM is the same, at least 80% in-state from what I last saw.

Obviously if you're from NY, the SUNYs will be your best bet on the MD side. I wish I has NY residency at the time of applications...

Shoot, I really like that program. Yeah at this point I'm probably hoping to apply to Buffalo/Albany/Rochester/Downstate/Upstate and hope for the best if I can get my stats up to a 3.5/3.4 (AAMC science) and a decent MCAT. Probably won't apply to stonybrook unless I get a stellar MCAT score.

But you also have to consider their OOS tuition which is 68 thousand and im sure that scares away many OOS. but there are a lot of scholarships as well.

True, I saw that a couple of weeks ago and said that is way too much. I just like the MSUCOM program a lot and I know of a few doctors who were in it and turned out to be successful surgeons.

Do very well on the MCAT and see what happens.

I had a 3.6, and >30 MCAT and still got no love from UMDNJ so who knows.

Tbh, if I have a 3.6 >30 MCAT, I probably would be hoping to get into a MD than a DO. I'm just looking more closely at DOs at the moment because of my current stats: 3.35/3.45 ish. By graduation, if I really work hard on my remaining science courses I think I can get ~3.6/~3.6. And for BCPM gpa I hope to be around a 3.4-3.45 by graduation (mostly due to calculus courses- without calculus my cgpa would probably be about a 3.6 right now and my BCPM would probably be a 3.45). Starting MCAT prep this summer and taking it next summer.

Last edited:
Tbh, if I have a 3.6 >30 MCAT, I probably would be hoping to get into a MD than a DO.

Yeah, so was I... except I didn't have in-state tuition and was exclusively looking at greater NYC area. Who knew Sinai and Cornell were competitive :D

Good luck to you!

Ok so what about other schools like Edward Via Com? Campbell? KCUMB? OSU? A.T. Still Arizona and Kirksville, MO?
PCOM? PCOM in Georgia? William Carey? Those gulf states schools? New Jersey? basically all of them as I currently have 20 schools listed to apply to, but I feel that I can reduce it more and be smarter when applying. I'm a midwestern student (wisconsin)

Kcumb is fine. Umdnj and OSU are good.

Nova seems decent.

Vcom is ok, but I wouldn't pick it over many schools. Same for pcom-ga, at. Arizona and kirksville, and the various touro's.

I'd use William Carey and Campbell as back ups.

Marian may turn out to be an okay school, but I'd pick one of the state schools or one of the better Private schools like, ccom, pcom, and dmu, over it in a heart beat.

Last edited:
I'll just throw out our school: LMU-DCOM is OOS friendly.

Kcumb is fine. Umdnj and OSU are good.

Nova seems decent.

Vcom is ok, but I wouldn't pick it over many schools. Same for pcom-ga, at. Arizona and kirksville, and the various touro's.

I'd use William Carey as a back up.

Campbell may turn out to be an okay school, but I'd pick one of the state schools or one of the better Private schools like, ccom, pcom, and dmu, over it in a heart beat.

Are you evaluating the school's openness to out of state applicants OR the quality of the school itself here?

Are you evaluating the school's openness to out of state applicants OR the quality of the school itself here?

Just overall quality, which is completely subjective.

Aren't the SUNY schools OOS friendly when compared to other state schools? Also is it really an advantage to be a ny resident? I'm discouraged from the SUNY schools because they have mcat averages >30. Plus I got rejected twice from stony brook undergrad but accepted to SUNY Binghamton which is really interesting