Out of state students have a shot at State schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stopitmarcy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm new here. I'm about to send in all of my applications and I guess I didn't realize some of them require supplemental materials and an additional crazy fee (new mexico $250!) So I'm just curious do state schools accept very little out of state students? I'm from Hawaii and we don't have any PT schools out here. I was thinking about NAU and UNM as possibilities but I'm just curious if they cater to more in state students. I heard UNM is mainly all New Mexico residents. Thanks! Your help is much appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to UNM last year and they did not even respond for 6 months (while they waited to fill the class with in state students!)... so yeah I do think its an issue. Some of the PTCAS schools indicate the % in state and out of state so you can get some idea of the breakdown

Yes, in general state schools accept significantly less applicants from out of state. Mostly, it's due to mass amounts of residents applying compared to non-residents. If it's not stated on their website, ask and schools will give you the percentage or number of slots they usually accept or reserve for out of staters.

I don't know your stats but you will definitely be able to get in somewhere if they're decent. Schools do look for diversity and variety, so I would go ahead and apply. Contact schools you're interested in so they can become more familiar with you.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh wow thats crazy! im gonna go check up on them. thanks guys for the input!

UNM explicitly states on their site that in-state will be given precedence over out-of-state. So I wouldn't count on that. NAU is also highly selective about in and out of state.

Hey stopitmarcy,

I'm also in Hawaii. Are aware of the WICHE Program? http://www.wiche.edu/psep/phys

UNM is on the list of participating schools and it means that you will be considered by these schools as if you were a resident of that state. It's like a reciprocity agreement. They also offer aid but it is limited. Good Luck!