Out of state tuitions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minapt

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just discovered this beautiful website and im spending way too much time on it. Anyway, I am almost a junior in Undergrad and want to know which schools are cheapest for OOS tuition/ have oos waivers or such. I am in PA and the cheapest we have here is about 100k. I am really looking for something that will be less than that with the cost of living and everything, to able to justify to myself leaving my whole state and going somewhere far away from everyone and everything I know. I am open to any state.

Members don't see this ad.

When I was applying to PT school, cost was a huge factor for me as well. I would look at the universities that would allow you to get residency for in-station tuition purposes. One of the most appealing that I found was Indiana State University. OOS tuition is $80K, but they allow you to get residency right away before the first semester starts if you do the right paperwork, etc, bringing the cost to $55K, which is fairly cheap compared to other schools. I am not sure about the cost of living though. I am attending Northern Illinois University this fall and they eliminated OOS tuition so everyone pays in-state, which ~$65K, but the cost of living is VERY cheap (~$350/mo for rent for like a nice, three bedroom townhouse) compared to other cities. Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck! :)

Hey! thanks for answering! I appreciate it. That definitely sounds like a good choice financially. Did you ever compile or find any type of list of schools that eliminated OOS or have oos scholarships? How do you like the program though? pros, cons? do you feel confident

That is the only program that I have found that eliminates OOS tuition, otherwise establishing residency would be another way. NIU is cheap for living and tuition compared to other schools so it's definitely a win-win. I'm sure that most schools have some sort of scholarships, but I would definitely look around the internet as there are some out here that not many students applying for. I start in the fall, but I have a co-worker that graduated from their program and really liked it. Every program has its pros and cons no matter where you go, but as long as the program is accredited, you should get a great education and feel confident in your skills. You get out of PT school what you put into it. Personally, I would not go to a "ranked" school that costs $150K for the same exact degree I can get at another accredited program for almost one third of the "ranked" school.