Out of state UT system applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lochmoor

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, how many out of stater's have gotten an interview at a ut system school? Does anyone know what the odds are for out of staters to get into a ut school?

Members don't see this ad.

i had 4 interviews in TX (Colorado resident) which will probably be it for me - i think they stop interviewing in mid-Dec.

as far as odds go, it depends on the school:

for example TX-Tech only interviewed 16 out-of-staters last year and accepted 9 (8 of which enrolled). so, that's about 50%... not too bad.

a school such as UT-San Antonio, however, interviewed 77 out-of-staters last year (out of 286 out-of-state applicants) and accepted 12... not as good.

hope that helped you a bit

I applied to Southwestern, Galveston, San Antonio, and Tex A&M. I received interviews at the first two schools so it's really not as bad for out of staters as some people make it out to be. I think once you have an interview at those two schools, your chances of getting in are > 50/50.

Members don't see this ad :)
Massachusetts resident. Interviewed at UTHSCSA Nov 10. Only Tex school I applied to.

UTSW is considered the most out-of-state friendly, even though state law requires no more than 10% of any class can be out of state.

Thus, I dont know why UTSW is considered more out-of-state friendly than others, though they do say straight up that you will get in-state tuition minus 1000 if you go there.

From what I have been told, UTSW does not consider out-of state applicants as counting toward their quota if they are applying to the MD-PhD program. Ross Perot apparently lobbied the government years ago for that to increase interest in the program. I could be off on the details, but this is coming from an ex-ADCOM member there for the MD-PhD program. Anyway, that might be why UTSW has a reputation for being more "out of state friendly"