UT Tyler vs Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cranberrylimeade

i’m going to be a doctor????
Reaction score
deleted ◡̈ thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OMG CONGRATS CRANBERRY!!!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
what a great problem to have

I will say that you seem to be leaning Utah and when I read this I could easily see why someone would lean Utah.

But on the other hand…

free tuition…

I’m glad you have a lot of time to decide!

Reactions: 1 user
Non-NBME and Mandatory 8-5 lectures 3 days a week? Wow that sucks!

Looks like Utah is the stronger school. Its established, you have an interest in the region, and home residencies are nice.

Any way to find out how mandatory those lectures are? Seems that Utah has switched to problem-based learning, so there may be mandatory time spent there as well as other aspects of their new curriculum. On paper it seems harder to enforce for a lecture hall compared to small groups.

Any way to find out how mandatory those lectures are? Seems that Utah has switched to problem-based learning, so there may be mandatory time spent there as well as other aspects of their new curriculum. On paper it seems harder to enforce for a lecture hall compared to small groups.
it’s 100% mandatory but i do think they have half days on fridays occasionally, but it’s not lectures exactly (they seemed to be anti-“lecture”) & includes things like PBL as well. the students i talked to are all there 8-5/6

something they mentioned in their second look is that some stuff that is”optional” is not recorded & posted but still testable

DANG this is a hard one…

Does living with dad in Utah come rent free? That may justify the costs a bit. Especially if you end up doing surgery, the costs won’t be the biggest deal in the world when you’re making the big bucks.

DANG this is a hard one…

Does living with dad in Utah come rent free? That may justify the costs a bit. Especially if you end up doing surgery, the costs won’t be the biggest deal in the world when you’re making the big bucks.
yeah dad wouldn’t charge rent but i wouldn’t want to live with him all 4 years, but it would help make up the difference for my year of OOS

Last edited:
yeah dad wouldn’t charge rent but i wouldn’t want to live with him all 4 years, but it would help make up the difference those first 4 years
Have you contacted Utah to see if they could offer you any type of scholarship to make the cost a bit more digestible compared to giving up a free school?

Have you contacted Utah to see if they could offer you any type of scholarship to make the cost a bit more digestible compared to giving up a free school?
I applied for the Pathways which is 50% but if i don’t match to a primary care field I have to pay it back, I don’t think their financial aid comes out for a bit. Yall think it’s too early to reach out?

I don’t think it’s too early.

If Utah offered you any money I think this choice would be pretty easy.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like the new school will just have a lot of problems for you to work through in the 2nd class ever and it's so much easier when the MedEd process is a well-oiled machine. The mandatory lectures would absolutely be a deal-breaker for me. Utah is great since you're familiar with living there, and although the cost is a downside, you'll be fine once you get out as an attending. Since you're rural/primary care focused, there's a strong chance of loan forgiveness as well.

I'm biased though, I hated living in Tyler.