out-of-state vs. international students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJwreckx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if they are both considered as same upon admission or there IS a discrimination btw those? Well everytime I ask this question schools respond "nooo wayy" but I hightly doubt it..
so I have these two 'very smart' friends who both got into dental school with 25 and 26 DAT each, both over 3.6 GPA (yea i know... insane huh?:eek:). The 26-guy was a permanent resident (green card) here and he applied for only 2 schools and got accepted in both schools (no wonder why...) However, 25-guy was an international student (w/ F-1 visa) and applied for 10 schools last year, but only got 2 interviews and waitlisted in both school until when he all of a sudden got a phone call saying he's finally accepted LAST MONTH. (he actually gave up long time ago and was trying to re-apply this year...)
as far as I know they both had pretty good ECs, LORs and stuffs and now that makes me really nervous since I'm an international too... anyone has any similar stories? :(

Members don't see this ad.

hey, i'm an international student with an f1 visa too...all the private schools told me the same thing, that there is no difference between out-of-state and international...however, I don't believe that...they say that because they are private schools and part of their "obligation" is to consider us internationals equal I guess...being an international is really a handicap but it can be overcome with very high GPA and very high DAT...

I am in the process of getting my green card (I'll have it maybe by december), and I explained my situation to the schools, but they are not interested in the story...they keep saying that internationals have the same chance as anyone else at a private institution...however, the number of internationals reported in ADEA guide and other sources says different...

but i think there's hope...I'm applying to 12 schools and I'm optimistic that one school will overlook my international status...however, don't count on them giving you a break because you are international when it comes to RC (in case you're not native english speaker)...in contrary we have to show them we are better than the rest :)

good luck!

Looks like you encountered some graduates of Ms Manners' School of Public Relations.

Members don't see this ad :)
but i think there's hope...I'm applying to 12 schools and I'm optimistic that one school will overlook my international status...however, don't count on them giving you a break because you are international when it comes to RC (in case you're not native english speaker)...in contrary we have to show them we are better than the rest :)

good luck!

Yup. we do have hope. as long as we nail the DAT... thanks for the comment :laugh:
btw what are those 12 schools you're applying to?

Well, there's always other factors that go into it. Did they both apply at the same time? Did they both apply to school with similar class sizes and desires? I think there may be a somewhat partial desire to residents, but I don't think it would make that large of a difference. I know there are quite a number of Canadian students starting in my class at Pitt, and my interview at Howard and Columbia had a good number of international students.

Yup. we do have hope. as long as we nail the DAT... thanks for the comment :laugh:
btw what are those 12 schools you're applying to?

I'm applying to Boston, Tufts, UPenn, Pitt, Harvard, Columbia, Case, Creighton, Midwestern, NYU, Nova and Georgia Medical College...although don't apply at GA, they don't accept out-of-state...I just convinced them I'm a GA resident...

there are a lot of schools on the west coast that accept internationals, I'm just not into California...but all private schools have a few international students, it just depends on your grades and DAt...

How could one not be into CA? Haha.... other than the not having seasons, the high taxes, the smog in LA, the high gas prices, the higher cost of everything.... yeah. But you know, it's all balanced out by having the amazing weather, views, and lack of regular horrible natural disasters.