out-of-town interview tomorrow and sick--what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi y'all,

so, i have an interview tomorrow that i am supposed to fly to this evening. but i have a wicked sore throat, i'm sneezing, and my fever is 100 f. what to do?

Members don't see this ad.

beep said:
hi y'all,

so, i have an interview tomorrow that i am supposed to fly to this evening. but i have a wicked sore throat, i'm sneezing, and my fever is 100 f. what to do?

if it's a school you hope to attend, go to the interview. it's getting awfully late in the interview season to be rescheduling. I was sick at one of mine also, had such a bad coughing fit, I was afraid my interviewer would think I had escaped from a TB ward. I just explained to him that I was a little bit under the weather.

If you don't care whether you go to this school or not and have an acceptance in hand from a school you *would* attend, then you may want to consider cancelling/rescheduling.

When I was sick for one of my interviews I took double the Sudafed, Advil, and Robitussin Cough Gels. I also used Coldeze(sp), it is a zinc cough drop. There is a study showing that zinc can lessen the duration and intensity of a cold. I don't know how valid the study was, or if it has been replicated, but I didn't cough once during my interviews, and just a couple of times on the tour.

Members don't see this ad :)
whatever you do, do not send an assistant or representative on your behalf. even if you've given them power of attorney. bad, bad move, trust me.

beep said:
hi y'all,

NYMC by any chance?

If it's just a cold, go. But if you have the flu, which can make people very sick, and it's within the first 5 days, you owe it to yourself and everyone on the plane (if applicable) and at the interview, to not spread it to them. Call your doctor and see how long it will take to get flu results. If you can get back results before you leave, get tested. If you won't get the results in time, explain to the doc your circumstances. If he or she thinks it's the flu, I'm going to guess they'd advise you not to go if you are in the infectious stage. If you went and the admissions team knew that you possibly spread the flu, or something similar, they could a) think you're really dedicated or b) think you're really stupid and out to lunch when it comes to public health.

it sucks...but go

g'luck beep

luvmykitties said:
When I was sick for one of my interviews I took double the Sudafed, Advil, and Robitussin Cough Gels. I also used Coldeze(sp), it is a zinc cough drop. There is a study showing that zinc can lessen the duration and intensity of a cold. I don't know how valid the study was, or if it has been replicated, but I didn't cough once during my interviews, and just a couple of times on the tour.

The study was done at the Cleveland Clinic. It was a double blind clinical study. If you want the results, look at the back of a packet of ColdEze lozenges. It's pretty cool, actually. As common as the cold is, it's definitely something you should know about.

PookieGirl said:
If it's just a cold, go. But if you have the flu, which can make people very sick, and it's within the first 5 days, you owe it to yourself and everyone on the plane (if applicable) and at the interview, to not spread it to them. Call your doctor and see how long it will take to get flu results. If you can get back results before you leave, get tested. If you won't get the results in time, explain to the doc your circumstances. If he or she thinks it's the flu, I'm going to guess they'd advise you not to go if you are in the infectious stage. If you went and the admissions team knew that you possibly spread the flu, or something similar, they could a) think you're really dedicated or b) think you're really stupid and out to lunch when it comes to public health.

No doubt, people seem to forget this little etiquette(read epidemic) tip. Please do not board planes, trains or subways when virulent, if at all possible! Last time out to DC I got back with what I can only assume was some combo of pneumonia, ebola and dysentary. Thanks, seat 18F, jerk.

Otherwise, if not largely contagious, gut it out and use the illness to propel yourself to a Jordan-like interview(45 points an a win with 104 temp v. Cavs)

but how to know if i am contagious?

Go see the doctor now (or PA or NP). Symptomatically they can get a pretty good idea if it's the flu, and the flu is infectious for the first 5 days after symptoms start. But the only way to try to figure out what you've got is to go talk to a health professional. It may turn out to be nothing or just a bad cold, but the first step is to talk to a health professional. There must be a clinic you can go to or see the NP that works for your doc or some way for you to get in today. Seriously, it's better to make an informed decision than to get a bunch of innocent bystanders sick. If you had a serious infectious illness, you wouldn't see patients.