1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Out-Out State Acceptances

Discussion in 'Pre-Physical Therapy' started by hearditfromfiver, Sep 6, 2014.

1. hearditfromfiver

2+ Year Member

Physical Therapy Student
    Hi all,

Many of the PT schools seem to give preference to in-state students. What have been your experiences applying out of state versus in-state in regards to interviews and acceptances?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DPTcoasral

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Depends entirely on the program. For example, ECU in NC admits 1 or 2 OOS students per cohort. On the other hand, MUSC in SC has about a 50/50 ratio with no real advantage for in state students. Their "instate" tuition is on par with the OOS of many schools...really bites as I have only two instate options with one being overpriced in an expensive city at that, and the other having a cohort of 18 students...yay.

4. swolecat

2+ Year Member

PTCAS shows the percentage of students in last years class that are in-state versus out of state. I only applied to schools that had at least 50% out of state acceptance (besides my own states school of course, where I benefitted from the in-state bonus). Out of four schools got accepted to two, wait listed for one and rejected for one.

5. Kuhdaytee

5+ Year Member

Physical Therapy Student
    The PTCAS percentages may be a little biased, so take them with a grain of salt. Some schools may have a low out of state percentage because more in state people apply, even if they don't give preference to either.

6. hearditfromfiver

2+ Year Member

Physical Therapy Student
    That's a little what I was wondering was happening Kuhdaytee. For instance IUPUI states that in-state students will get preference and they have a really high percentage in in-state students. WKU has a similar high percentage of in-state students. but hasn't stated that it gives in-state preference and may just be attracting more local interest as it hasn't had a class graduate yet.

7. DesertPT

5+ Year Member

Physical Therapist
    A lot of the information about PT programs shown on PTCAS is inaccurate. For example, Midwestern Glendale says NOT rolling admissions on PTCAS, but they do in fact use rolling admissions. You have to go to each school's websites/call them to get the real information.

Kuhdaytee likes this.
  8. Kuhdaytee

5+ Year Member

Physical Therapy Student
    Yeah, I agree with PTCAS being inaccurate, especially for statistics like that. I don't think it's required to update it every year, so a lot of it is old information.

9. ptisfun2

2+ Year Member

DPT / OTD
    We get a prompt from PTCAS every November to update information, but if we do not submit anything it just stays the same. So not required. we have dates on our PTCAS site, so we update every year, but if schools have more generic information, they may not update every year.

Kuhdaytee likes this.
  10. DesertPT

5+ Year Member

Physical Therapist
    Ya I've seen things like average stats for applicants, minimum GRE scores required, etc. for several schools where the information on there is from 2 or 3 years ago.