Outlook for pharmacists considering the military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jellytime

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking into a career as a pharmacist in the military. I am a PharmD/MBA with PGY1 and PGY2 training and would like to know a bit about the selection process and career outlook.

1. Roughly, how many pharmacists are brought in per year (each branch)?
2. How are candidates selected (grades, NAPLEX score, experience)?
3. How long is the process from the start of paperwork to training start date?
4. Is there an interview process? What is it like?
5. Are clinical pharmacists able to train in different areas of pharmacy than their specialty (ID, Oncology, Pediatrics)?
6. How much leadership experience do pharmacists get?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll skip right to #5.

No.

If you are a PGY2 trained pharmacist and you wish to practice as such, joining the military is not for you. If you are sick of doing what your PGY2 was in and you want do something different, you may consider it. But please remember - your prior experience will not lead to more leadership positions initially. You will start as a staff pharmacist in inpatient/outpatient pharmacies no matter what.

I volunteer in an AF Clinic, and was prior service.

For #6, I assume you mean supervising people. You will be "supervising" your enlisted staff and contractors from day one. You won't be writing performance reports on them though most likely. You can give them paperwork for screwing up though. However, as far as overseeing a pharmacy, and writing performance reports on other pharmacists, you will need to be a "flight commander" (my experience was in small clinics, not hospitals). This usually takes at least 4 years, probably 6-8, and it is a grooming position for the rank of Major. Basically, they assume that you will be making the rank, as commanders aren't captains very often.

This was specific to my base, and details will be different at other bases and sections of the military. However, I think it is roughly accurate across the board in the AF....at clinics, not hospitals.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. per my army recruiter in 2012 selection process I think he said 10 pharmacists were selected
air force said they had one open slot
navy wanted me to become a pseudo nurse so I stopped talking to them.

this last selection process (2013) I think 7 pharmacists for the army were selected
I did not ask the other branches

2. The Army selection board changes every year so it's subjective to the the members that year. I don't think NAPLEX score has anything to do with the process. More so grades, letters of rec, prior military experience, prior general pharmacy experience, etc...

3. The Army application is due around Oct...this varies...they have pushed it back to Nov the last 2 years. If you get accepted, around Jan, then you start training in June or July

4. There is no interview process besides maybe meeting your recruiter. The physical is also a pass or fail in regards to basic rom, vitals, hearing/vision test. Nothing like what you'd expect ie pushups, situps, pullups

4. There is no interview process besides maybe meeting your recruiter. The physical is also a pass or fail in regards to basic rom, vitals, hearing/vision test. Nothing like what you'd expect ie pushups, situps, pullups

Hmmm...I am very suspicious of your information source.

First, I don't know what you mean by "pseudo-nurse." You commission as a pharmacy officer, you are a pharmacist. Period. If you're talking about becoming a corpsman - well, you were talking to the WRONG recruiter. You should have been speaking to a Medical Service Corps recruiter but were probably speaking to an enlisted recruiter.

And secondly, as far as I know, there absolutely is an interview requirement for all 3 branches. You will most likely be doing phone interviews, not in person, but they surely exist. The officer package requires 2 or 3 interview scores from current pharmacy officers in the rank of O4 or above.

Hmmm...I am very suspicious of your information source.

First, I don't know what you mean by "pseudo-nurse." You commission as a pharmacy officer, you are a pharmacist. Period. If you're talking about becoming a corpsman - well, you were talking to the WRONG recruiter. You should have been speaking to a Medical Service Corps recruiter but were probably speaking to an enlisted recruiter.

And secondly, as far as I know, there absolutely is an interview requirement for all 3 branches. You will most likely be doing phone interviews, not in person, but they surely exist. The officer package requires 2 or 3 interview scores from current pharmacy officers in the rank of O4 or above.
The navy thing I'm not sure...it sounded wrong which is why I just stopped communication.

As for the army not once did I have to do an interview. Maybe if you're selected? My application was submitted to the board and I was told if I was selected, wait-listed, or not selected; that is as far as I got.

Since the military seems to mostly use civilians, how is that route traversed?

1. per my army recruiter in 2012 selection process I think he said 10 pharmacists were selected
air force said they had one open slot

this last selection process (2013) I think 7 pharmacists for the army were selected
I did not ask the other branches

2. The Army selection board changes every year so it's subjective to the the members that year. I don't think NAPLEX score has anything to do with the process. More so grades, letters of rec, prior military experience, prior general pharmacy experience, etc...

3. The Army application is due around Oct...this varies...they have pushed it back to Nov the last 2 years. If you get accepted, around Jan, then you start training in June or July

This is very helpful. Thank you. October application date to June training seems like military timing to me. Craziness.

I'll skip right to #5.

No.

If you are a PGY2 trained pharmacist and you wish to practice as such, joining the military is not for you. If you are sick of doing what your PGY2 was in and you want do something different, you may consider it. But please remember - your prior experience will not lead to more leadership positions initially. You will start as a staff pharmacist in inpatient/outpatient pharmacies no matter what.
Actually, I do not wish to practice in my specialty, so that is why I asked. I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

I volunteer in an AF Clinic, and was prior service.

For #6, I assume you mean supervising people. You will be "supervising" your enlisted staff and contractors from day one. You won't be writing performance reports on them though most likely. You can give them paperwork for screwing up though. However, as far as overseeing a pharmacy, and writing performance reports on other pharmacists, you will need to be a "flight commander" (my experience was in small clinics, not hospitals). This usually takes at least 4 years, probably 6-8, and it is a grooming position for the rank of Major. Basically, they assume that you will be making the rank, as commanders aren't captains very often.

This was specific to my base, and details will be different at other bases and sections of the military. However, I think it is roughly accurate across the board in the AF....at clinics, not hospitals.
The Air Force has been very laid back about recruitment, whereas the Navy has been very active in pursuing pharmacists. At least that has been my experience. The Navy recruiter seems far more organized and professional about everything. It does not seem that the Air Force needs active duty pharmacists at this time.

Honestly, with a PGY1 and 2, I would think you would be able to get a much better job than what the military could offer you. Unless it was always a dream of yours to join.

There is no formal interview in the Army selection process...

I miss serving in the military.

I'd be hard pressed to get a waiver for the nerve damage in my arm though! :)

Thanks to all who have served or are currently serving!

Interview ( phone or in person) with O4 or above x2
Are you saying there are two interviews or that there is one interview with two officers (o4 or above)? In any case, I met with a recruiter and was told I will be interviewing with a Navy pharmacist prior to submitting my application. I will interview again via telephone after the application is submitted. I did not have this information when I asked about the process earlier in the thread.

Are you saying there are two interviews or that there is one interview with two officers (o4 or above)? In any case, I met with a recruiter and was told I will be interviewing with a Navy pharmacist prior to submitting my application. I will interview again via telephone after the application is submitted. I did not have this information when I asked about the process earlier in the thread.

Could be either way.

Okay guys, I have continued with the process and this is what I have learned:

My process with the Navy so far:
About four months after I submitted my CV and transcripts (to the Navy only), I had two telephone interviews. Both interviews were REQUIRED before I could proceed. This seemed to be the rate limiting step prior to board review. It seemed to be difficult to find pharmacists to interview me. The first interview was with an o4 and an o3; the second was with one o4.

One week after the interviews I went to MEPS. After I returned from MEPS, I was required to fill out and submit a TON of online forms; I was required to provide information about myself (for the last 10 years) and my immediate family. I had to have four references - two supervisors and two professional peers. I submitted these forms within two weeks, but this could take more or less time, depending on your references.

One week after the previous forms were submitted, I was required to submit a "motivational statement" to my recruiter for review. He is on leave now, but will review the statement and return it to me when he is back in the office. I will submit the final draft (as part of yet another form) as soon as I can, hopefully the same day. As far as I know, this will be the last step (for me) in the process until the board reviews my application packet. The first board review (as far as I know) is either in October or Novemeber of this year.

Answers to my questions:
1. I still have no idea how many pharmacists are needed each year for any military branch.
2. I think candidates are selected based on grades, CV, and interviews (still not entirely sure).
3. I am five months into the process and still have no idea when training dates are set, however, I know the board does not begin reviewing application packets until October or November of each year. This means that it will have been eight or nine months by the time the board sees my packet.
4. The Navy requires two separate interviews for pharmacists.
5. Pharmacists are used wherever they are needed without regard for previous specialized training. The needs of the Navy come first.
6. As far as leadership opportunities in the Navy.. still uclear. I guess I will find out if I make the cut.

Jellytime, did you hear back? Did they tell you how many spots for this year? I am applying next year. Wish you the best and keep us posted. Thanks.