Outpatient jobs without call?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

judelawfanclub

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am an MS3 who is really enjoying my neurology rotation and am torn between deciding on medicine and neurology.
A big factor for me is the ability to take a job that has minimal/no weekend call.
How possible is this in neurology? I am unable to get a clear sense from searching past forums.
Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

My assumption is that less call is possible due an increase in neurohospitalists covering and the relatively high demand for lower acuity outpatient visits. Is that the case, or there other factors to consider?
Also, is call something that you can negotiate when looking at job offers?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your assumption is correct. More and more residents are becoming increasingly interested in the neurohospitalist option. In fact, from my N= 15-20, more people are interested in inpatient neuro than outpatient. This is understandable given the crave for the lifestyle the neurohospitalist path offers combined with a healthy compensation. In addition, residency experience is heavily geared towards inpatient, and most often the outpatient experience in residency (ie continuity clinic) isn’t great.

Therefore, many groups/hospitals nowadays hire neurologists to do inpatient work exclusively while others (specially those with certain subspecialty training) are handling outpatient only.

In academia, certain subspecialties don’t do any inpatient work. At my institution, this is true for movement, cognitive, MS, neuro-Optho, neuro-oto, and neuro-onc (except for occasionally seeing a consult in the hospital but never on nights or weekends).

Everything is open for negotiation. Your leverage diminishes in more desirable areas, though.

Reactions: 3 users
No call outpatient neurology with decent pay is absolutely doable these days even in desirable cities. Most jobs will cater at least somewhat to a subspecialty interest of yours (50-80% of referrals are in that subspecialty ie MS, movement, neuromuscular, epilepsy etc). 80-90% of neurology is outpatient. Minimal call academics is also possible with lower (but still reasonable) salaries.

Reactions: 1 user
I have an outpatient only job with no call.

So, it's definitely doable.