MD Outpatient neurology question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Deeply Superficial

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello

I am a medical student interested in purely outpatient neurology practice (I want a Mon-Fri 9-5 lifestyle). My understanding is that this isn't very lucrative but one can make decent money by adding EEGs/EMGs to outpatient practice. I was wondering if fellowship training is required for that or will a regular neurology residency program provide me enough training to run an outpatient clinic and do EEGs/EMGs?

Thanks in advance.
 
Last edited:
Hello

I am a medical student interested in purely outpatient neurology practice (I want a Mon-Fri 9-5 lifestyle). My understanding is that this isn't very lucrative but one can make decent money by adding EMGs to outpatient practice. I was wondering if fellowship training is required for that or will a regular neurology residency program provide me enough training to run
From what I saw and heard here(rural city), it looks like it'll be hard to just do outpatient because you need enough referrals just to keep your practice open/keep your RVU up.

Hospital follow up and headache clinic is what really kept the outpatient clinic here lucrative. If you are a headache or pain specialist, you probably can do just outpatient.
 
The fellowship trained headache specialist that I worked with does outpatient only. His group still has inpatient coverage but he told me he had not done inpatient for many years.
 
I think EEG & EMG privileges are assigned by hospital, so there’s a bit of variability, but generally require fellowship. I have heard of one residency that does more extensive EEG training and will advocate on your behalf for EEG reading privileges if you pass their course/exams at whatever hospital you get a job in afterward, but I don’t know that that’s common.

Imo, if you want to do outpatient EMG/etc., fellowship is probably worth it.